ROAD 1983 Repco Superlite

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My second time capsule find, and first road bike I've ever owned. This one came from my uncle who owned it since new, I recall staying at their place when I was a kid thinking it was such a cool bike and now it has been handed down to me to restore. I believe everything except the chain is original, and the tyres even hold air but have perishing so will need replacing.

I cleaned it quickly, the garden pic is before and the others after, but the camera took crap pics in the dodgy light so will get some better ones later after the full proper clean. This was top of the entire Repco range in 1983.

Here's the full spec courtesy of Blogging a Dead Horse. "Braized" on water bottle fitting :D

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Damn, some fairly arbitrary sizing offered back then, basically just tiny, normal and huge. I'm guessing that's the huge (64cm) size? Looks good!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
No CX tyres available in 27", in fact only basic gum walls like the Cheng Shin it has now.
you can change to long reach brakes and move to 700c for ease of tyre purchase, some frames will fit 700c natively based on design. then build up a set of 650b (or is it 650a) for gravel duties for a wider tyre

ps most of those old gum walls are shite tyres

Scotty T

Walks the walk
you can change to long reach brakes and move to 700c for ease of tyre purchase, some frames will fit 700c natively based on design. then build up a set of 650b (or is it 650a) for gravel duties for a wider tyre

ps most of those old gum walls are shite tyres
I've found some Panaracer Pasela's which should be quite decent. Want to keep it all original and will only ride it on very rare occasions.

Damn, some fairly arbitrary sizing offered back then, basically just tiny, normal and huge. I'm guessing that's the huge (64cm) size? Looks good!
I think it's the 58 but will double check, pretty sure it's got 58 stamped on the frame, it's a very short TT, I'd probably need another 30-40mm on the stem to get the fit right.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I've found some Panaracer Pasela's which should be quite decent. Want to keep it all original and will only ride it on very rare occasions.

I think it's the 58 but will double check, pretty sure it's got 58 stamped on the frame, it's a very short TT, I'd probably need another 30-40mm on the stem to get the fit right.
think i’ve got a 130 or 140quill stem kickin around

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats a cracker ,will ride really nice on road n gravel - I have a 83 Apollo for that purpose .
Continental do good tyre also .

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Very cool bike!

I love old bicycle descriptions - it really puts into perspective what we have today.

'rear gear hanger' - where else is it supposed to go
' brazed on cable guides' - as opposed to?
' 53, 58 and 64 cm' - jeepers!

27 1/4 tyres - I feel a new standard coming along...