13 speeds

PJO

in me vL comy
It may be for a gravel bike but Campagnolo have released a 1x13 speed drivetrain.
Expect others to follow soon...

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Even better a new "N3W driver standard". To Camapgnolo's credit, it looks like they are freely licensing it to anyone that want's to apply and it is 'sort of' backward compatible so not as dumb as the $hitmano microspline.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
As much as I love all things Campag, Shimano have pre-empted 14 speeds some time ago.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5954604
Not like they make it which has to be a glaring detail but surely must have some patent checkmate thing here ready to wheel out to keep the competition at bay or have future licensing $$$.

I would still love a 13 speed Campag more than Shimano 14 speed though. They do nice drivetrains and the world's coolest bottle opener.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
As much as I love all things Campag, Shimano have pre-empted 14 speeds some time ago.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5954604
Not like they make it which has to be a glaring detail but surely must have some patent checkmate thing here ready to wheel out to keep the competition at bay or have future licensing $$$.

I would still love a 13 speed Campag more than Shimano 14 speed though. They do nice drivetrains and the world's coolest bottle opener.
Which presumably means we'll all be shuffled along to 157 Super Boost when the marketing train moves forward in a couple of years?

Scotty675

Cable thief
I was going to say rotor were onto it but already been mentioned. Having gone 12 speed I’m not changing now till 1x15 on superboost.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Which presumably means we'll all be shuffled along to 157 Super Boost when the marketing train moves forward in a couple of years?
Sigh, probably will be the way. I'm sure that there will be some new problem that a wider hub standard can solve.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
why not just go 3x 6 for 18speeds?
That is silly. 3 front cogs, pfffft? Never happen.

'tis funny last year plus 1 I changed the muru from 1x11 to 2x10 so I could rob the 1x11 for another bike. Gearing was both lower and higher. I hated it, went back to 1x11 in Nov. Much nicer to ride. No idea why. Maybe I just cannot cope with using both hands...