10mm thru axle size.

Mr.poopnuts

Likes Bikes
hi, I have/had a problem with my rear thru axle size. I dont really know what the size is. I made my own axle at home with a peice of steel 10mm in diameter. It fits right on! The box that my hubs came in says that the hub is 11mm in diameter and when i can to finding nuts to go on the axle, only 12mm nuts fitted.:confused:
What I wanted to know is, is it alright to fit a 10mm axle into an axle shaft of 11mm in diameter?? I wanna know this because i told the shop to get me a 10 x 135mm thru axle.

oh yeah My steel homemade axle snapped and bike shops cant order an axle in until suppliers are reopen which is next year....:mad: and if someone does have one, I'd be more than happy to buy it.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no such thing as 10 or 11mm TA, 10x135 is just a regular qr hub with a 10mm axle instead of the qr shaft

if its TA it has to be 12x135

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no such thing as 10 or 11mm TA, 10x135 is just a regular qr hub with a 10mm axle instead of the qr shaft

if its TA it has to be 12x135
Hmmmm NH, I think your wrong.

I have several 10mm Through axles........or more precisely, 10mm Hollowpoint style axles, which are effectively 10mm solid (but QR)- as comes with a few hubs if you search hard enough..........

Pages 34 and 58 of the latest Dirtworks catalogue may provide him with a solution....

Now, you could argue that what Im talking about is QR , and not TA, but, I believe its still TA as the diameter of the 10mm shaft passes through the hub and the bikes dropouts, where a standard QR hub uses the hollow bits at the end of the hub to rest in the dropouts while the smaller QR skewer provides clamping force. I contend that the 10mm hollowpoint QR is still a TA as the axle passes through the hub and dropouts (taking the weight) while only the clamping mechanism is different to a ""traditional'" TA (two nuts etc)...
So really, what I have and is shown in the example above is a QR/TA.

In fact, three of four of my bikes use rear 10mm TA's........

You can also get the 12mm/10mm step downs -maybe that is what he needs?
From his description: : "'12mm nuts fitted"" - maybe he cant measure accurately and he needs a 12mm axle?
My question is: what hub is it going in to?

Last edited:

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
TA isnt attached to the hub in any sort of way, the hub just sits on it with nothing but the frame dropouts on either side holding it in position

there is certainly a huge difference between 10mm bolt up and 12mm TA

still going from his question i have no idea what hes asking or what he has i was just pointing out TA is 12mm

racebmx

Likes Dirt
my hadley rear hub is bolt on. i guess u could loosely refer to the axle as a 10mm thru axle. uses a 6mm allen key one end and 17mm spanner for the bolt on the other end. maybe he has a hadley hub.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you've just got a standard 10x135 bolt up, i still say its not a standard through axle if its attached the hub in any way, you will find your 10mm axle is threaded and screws into the hub

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im with racebmx ............my Hadley is 10mm through axle and definately not connected to the hub in any way....

Hmmm I think saints are something similar? (anyone confirm?) And Easton havoc Axle kit might be worth checking out.

Or just go with the Dice Hollowpoint or RWS from DT Swiss.......

God, theres heaps of 10mm options out there for through axle hubs...

Heres one I prepared earlier...........(I believe the label says: HADLEY, 10mm through axle assy....)

Attachments

Last edited: