10mm steerer spacer too much?

Winno

Likes Dirt
Just slammed my new, longer stem for better climbing and a slightly roomier cockpit during XC races. I cut the steerer down a bit but I'm still running a spacer on top.

Although the Rocky Mountain has quite a tall head tube, I'm reluctant to cut the steerer down another 10mm for a nicer flush look in case I want to sell the fork later.

How many mm of spacers do you guys generally run on TOP of your stem?

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
0mm, I have a box of 50mm stems of different stack heights and angles so I can get the right bar height and run no spacers, more spacers = more flex under power.

A spacer on top is fine though.

moorey

call me Mia
Really? You're that powerful you flex your steerer?

10mm on top is as much as I like to see.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Nah I'm just fat and it takes a lot of effort to get me moving.

I have bent a couple of DH bars taking off from traffic lights and I know not to buy any stems that show exposed steerer as they flex way too much(Straitline Pinch, DMR Defy, Funn something). I find having a stem sitting flush on a headset instead of on top of a spacer makes a noticeable difference to how stiff the front end feels. However as I said I am pretty tubby and I like pushing bigger gears as it seems to suit me better than spinning.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I dislike any amount of spacers on top of the stem, but have been forced to do it on the kids bikes as I'll need to use the fork on a larger frame.

For my own bike, I cut the steerer once I am happy with the cockpit layout. On an XC bike, your stem is typically long enough that you can use a different rise to get the position you need without spacers over OR under the stem.

brad353

Likes Dirt
He said on top, not below the stem. On top isn't going to cause any flex, it's just going to stick up a little. Depends how much it bothers you, but I usually run a 5mm or 10mm spacer on the top in case I change stems, change my settings, and also keeping in mind for reasale.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I am an old daggy tightarse. So I run anything up to 2 or 3 spacers on top of all my stems, simply because I don't care what it looks like, and as one of natures midgets, if I cut steerers to suit me the resale value of any fork becomes....... limited.

And no, there is definitely no flex. The only downside, apart from cosmetics, is you might be slightly more likely to smash your sternum in a crash.

camoshop

Banned
I run one on mine, I wouldn't need to, but cbf cutting about 3 mm off the steerer just for this stem.

The garmin sits flush with this set up so isn't a problem, never heard of flex on a steerer :noidea:

Attachments

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have always thought the same thing (keep a bit of extra length for resale). I get bagged on the trails sometimes by some of the 'perfectionists', but who cares (they should just worry about their bike 'not mine'). I have sold a few forks and have found if you can keep your steerer at least 180mm, your resale market is increased (should cater for small and medium frames I would think). So, that means I usually run at least 10 to 15mm of spacers on top of the stem - depending on the bike and cockpit setup it may be a split of (some spacers) under and on top of stem also. Cheers :biggrin1:

Winno

Likes Dirt
Thanks everyone.

I rode the bike today at Gap Creek and even on the fire road pinch up from the reserve, I didn't get any front wheel lift and I had a lot more control on switchback climbs. I also feel more powerful now when sprinting out of the saddle. I am more comfortable now I'm stretched out a little more and didn't have any hand, shoulder, or back issues.

As mentioned, flipping my stem (70mm x +/-6° Raceface Turbine) gives me about 10mm rise if ever I feel the need.

I was worried about resale too but I've managed to sell every other fork I've owned with no issue, and as the Element's head tube is tall, I have 180mm of steerer left after cutting it down fully for a flush top cap after my ride this afternoon.

teK--

Eats Squid
I run one on mine, I wouldn't need to, but cbf cutting about 3 mm off the steerer just for this stem.

The garmin sits flush with this set up so isn't a problem, never heard of flex on a steerer :noidea:
Is that a carbon steerer?

If so make sure your expansion plug extends below the bottom of the stem.