Search results

1. Cardy George

ACT CORC 24 Hour

It's back! Apparently. https://corc.asn.au/latest-news/corc-24-hour-entries-oopen/ I was a bit dismayed at the lack of Ultra-endurance options, but this is definitely within reach, just not this year.
  2. Cardy George

Shimano 12sp chain length

I'm running a 34t front for around home, but I have a 28t for going to ridiculous length away races. Do I need to shorten the chain suit? I'm going to use waxed chains, therefore I have multiple chains, so I do have options. I can shorten one and keep it and the 28t as race only, but that means...
  3. Cardy George

Evie

Frame - 2022 Trek Supercaliber M/L Rear shock - Isostrut with remote lock out Front shock/fork - 2018 SiD RLC 100mm Handlebars - Enve M7 35mm 750mm wide Stem - Bontrager Kovee Pro 80mm -13⁰ Headset - Whatever Trek put in it Grips - Ergon GA3 Saddle - SQLabs 611 Seatpost - Bontrager Carbon Front...
  4. Cardy George

Paint or Powder coat?

I want to tidy up my fork lowers. Reckon I'll get a better finish with powder coating but don't know the process well enough, I know there's heat involved, but other than that, I dunno. Can anyone think of any issues I'll have with putting magnesium alloy in an oven? Melted bushings maybe?
  5. Cardy George

Drive train options

So hypothetically let's say forces beyond my control have required me to relinquish my commitment to a 2x drivetrain. Supply issues aside, what do I get? I have no idea. I haven't built a bike component by component since 1999. Mechanical 1x is the aim. XT level because, well, because XT, and I...
  6. Cardy George

Shock Replacement - Turner 5 Spot

Ok, I need schooling in modern shock technology. The Turner arrived with a DNM coil shock, and it's doing everything that a $160 shock does, i.e. ⅘ of fuck all. So with a bit of Google fondling, I've found the FOX RP23 is what's most commonly found on them, but the 2013 5 Spots were delivered...
  7. Cardy George

Found: 36t 2x11 XT Chainring

Item: 36t XT 2x chainring, preferably unused Location: Wherever you lay your hat Price range/Willing to Pay: paid $25 last time, state your price Extra Info: paid 25 clams for a removed before ridden 26/36 set, still haven't needed the 26t. $70 will get me a shiny new 36t in a box. Will also...
  8. Cardy George

Recommend a carbon XC rim

My 29" DT Swiss XMC 12OO rims took a hell of a beating at the Odyssey. The front was definitely not straight, and has some nasty wrinkles on the side wall. The rear isn't as bad, but it's there, and being carbon, I don't trust them and I can't afford the $3k to replace like-for-like. The...
  9. Cardy George

Interest rate advice

Our home loan fixed rate term has come to an end. Made the calls, talked to the people. Now we have to decide if we want: 3.03% for 2 years or 3.14% for 5 years I don't know enough about the economy to make the decision. Do we save cash in the short term, or have some security for a bit...
  10. Cardy George

Adelaide trails for a 10 year old

Doing a Father-Son trip to Adelaide for the Procaliber frame swap and picking up a new bike for Middle Brother while we're there. I want to take him out but don't know where will be appropriate. He's competent, but not necessarily confident, and will be on a bigger and newer bike. Where...
  11. Cardy George

Electric Vehicles etc

I've started this thread to learn about EVs and the like. I don't know the important facts about them, not enough to form an opinion anyway. I'm probably most curious about how effective they'll be in a rural/regional environment. So, discuss......
  12. Cardy George

XC Training

So this racing thing has taken hold, and I'm annoyingly close to the front of the field. Problem is I don't know what to focus on first to improve my position in the pack. Is it pure strength? Aerobic capacity? Muscle endurance? The only MTB focussed info I can find here, or anywhere, is either...
  13. Cardy George

Where to buy 2x chainrings

Using XT M8000 at the moment but really not fussed so long as they're 26-36t. Could maybe be tempted to change cranks, but they'd need to damn near pedal themselves. I really only need, and would prefer to, only replace the 36t, but everywhere I find has ridiculous postage. I'd counter that by...
  14. Cardy George

Insert Name Here

Given recent events, my interwebz name is not really appropriate for, well, anything really. I was planning to ride it out, there has to be other poor schmucks in the real with the same name. Anyway, after bringing Mrs George up to speed, it has been decided a change is needed. Not wanted...
  15. Cardy George

GM designs an e-bike

Doesn't look too bad, for something that won't see dirt. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/11/02/gm-ebike-general-motors/1849227002/ This could bring the power of the auto companies to help even the car/bike balance. Or it could further the divide
  16. Cardy George

New East Coast Tassie trails

A new trail destination for Tasmania https://www.examiner.com.au/story/5705888/world-trail-appointed-to-new-east-coast-bike-project/?cs=95&fbclid=IwAR3D9T8zpB6iu2_eojMdFyJ89a2oLhXm1gNgB0asFOio1WSmcDZStNSEgdY
  17. Cardy George

NSW Pink Slip: What do they look for?

Grandpa's rego has run out, and as it's over 5 years old and on the written-off register it needs a safety check. It needs a new spare, CV boot, and the muffler tip is a bit wobbly. Is there anything else I need to worry about?
  18. Cardy George

Am I liable if Grandpa crashes his car (again)

Back story is my Grandpa has just turned 90, is a fiercely proud, fiercely stubborn man, and lives 20km from Mildura, the main town in the region. The problem is his driving has been steadily declining over the last few years. Started off by driving over garden beds. Eighteen months ago he...
  19. Cardy George

Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL

As the first new MTB in 18 years, I knew I'd have to raise my expectations, but fuck me. So fast, so capable. I'm riding through things I avoided when I was 15 and fearless. I was glad I was riding solo on the first day, it was a little embarrassing. Just couldn't think fast enough to keep up...
  20. Cardy George

Homebrew sealant on carbon rims long term

I've searched, I've read most of the Tubeless Mega Thread, I can't find anything about using Homebrew Sealant on carbon for an extended period. As this bike has to and/or will be used as is for a very long time, I want to know if it will cause damage. It's already tubeless, and I've used...