Search results

1. Calvin27

eBike with best reliability and repairable.

Hi folks, me and my mates are about to take the dive and it's interesting to see the different views on ebikes. Some want a featherweight assit bike, others want a full monster rig with huge range. We've all been trading articles on different motors and bikes etc. For me though the main goal is...
  2. Calvin27

How to reuse bicycle light as head light for night walking?

As per title. Got oxfam 100 coming up which will include overnight walking. Keen to use one of the many bike lights I have as a head torch or soemthing to illuminate. My calculations rekon pretty much all of them could last the full overnight on low setting. Question is what's the best way to...
  3. Calvin27

XC Bottom of the Barrel Budget Bikepacking Build - Giant Talon 11kg

Hi folks, Here is my bikepacking rig I built up. Took her out for a maiden voyage and it was an interesting experience. Main fails included: - Having to cross the buffalo river (pictured), bailed on that and then having to cross two smaller rivers instead. - Detour route throwing me onto a 4wd...
  4. Calvin27

Return of elastomers

Hot for all the suspension but kind of like a bushing: https://bikerumor.com/utterly-butterly-sram-patents-shock-fluttering-end-mounts/ Interesting development. One of the reasons why car suspension sucks to work on is because of the bushings that wear and need to be pressed out. I can't see...
  5. Calvin27

Raised reverse stem

Anyone seen this. Looks wild. https://bemorebikes.com/raised-reversed-stems.html I don't know enough about geo to comment but looks like a massive change from traditional geometry. I also echo the trend that front ends are getting very very long which is problematic for me (says the guy...
  6. Calvin27

Bike trailer to haul kids, possibly dog

Tag teaming out and fortunate that my work has a good leave policy to support women going back to work, which means I have a bit of time off. One thing I am keen to do is make use of this time and get out do heaps of riding. Obviously will have kids to look after so will have to dial it back a...
  7. Calvin27

Sram DB8 - mineral oil brake

Mate got a bike with these brakes: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/db-db8-a1 Apparently these have been out for a while. Yes Sram brakes that use mineral oil. Funny thing is sram claims they double the service interval. Ya think so?!
  8. Calvin27

VIC [CLOSED] Cheap, not munted 29 boost front wheel.

Hi folks, Item: boost 29 front wheel Location: VIC, eastern suburbs Item Condition: Used Reason for selling: WTB Price and price conditions: Backup plan is the sun ringle from cycling deal for $170 so less than that and proportional to condition etc. It's for a hack project so nothing fancy...
  9. Calvin27

Any 24h Endurance events in Vic?

Hi folks, where have all the 24h endurance events in Vic gone? Seems to be happening in other states, but not vic. Me and a few mates keen to do it in team format and camp and all that lol
  10. Calvin27

Most plush cushy grip

Hi folks, time to replace grips on the old mtb. Currently on chromag basis lock on grips. Like them would buy again. Just checking if there is anything more plus soft and yet indestructible compared to the chromags. Care little for weight, must be lock on and ideally with minmal patterns and...
  11. Calvin27

What happened to XC bikes and did we give up on thru axles already?

Little bit of a rant more than question. But looks like the who thru axle thing is kind of going backwards nowadays. I'm on the hunt for a XC bike for general duties and noticed that all the sub $2k bikes are qr axles, some of them are even boost-qr. Are they really that hard to make work? The...
  12. Calvin27

Are more speeds better?

HI folks, I recently came across a hard rubbish bike and now i have another project, but that's not the point of this thread. The thing was really needing a lot of love, bottom of the barrel deore 8 speed shifter, left out in rain, the chain rusted, chainrings also rusted. Owner said it...
  13. Calvin27

Bleeding old school Shimano brakes

Hi folks, trying to resto a hard rubbish find. Has old school Shimano brakes. I took the cover off thinking there is something inside, yeah the whole oil reservoir! How does one bleed this?
  14. Calvin27

VIC SOLD

Item: Kona Hei Hei DL 2013 - LARGE Location: VIC 3130 Item Condition: Used Reason for selling: Consolidating the bike colelction... ok fine I'm buying an ebike. Price and price conditions: 1000 Extra Info: OEM specs here:https://2013.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=hei_hei_dl Key...
  15. Calvin27

Marathon

Flame suit on Shit talking went a bit far at Christmas and now me and some mates have verbally agreed to attempt a marathon. We are all unfit middle aged fat bastards myself included. Never run anything with distance before in my life. Max was 6km and even then that was a one off. I think I did...
  16. Calvin27

What's your dollars per ride.

Mate of mine upgraded his bike and we drove out pretty far to run it in. On the way there got chatting about expensive bikes and how much we spend on bikes etc. Tried to calculate dollar per ride. So I thought I might poll RB folks to see how this varies. Just bike price and maybe a major...
  17. Calvin27

Allergy Immunotherapy advice pls.

Hi folks, Short version: I am getting more and more allergic and struggling to go outside. Halp! Long version. So as a kid I am pretty allergic to pollen and that sort of stuff. Got some immunotherapy done as a kid and looks like it lasted about 2 decades or so. It's wearing off (or...
  18. Calvin27

Waltly - oh no Customs!

So it happened. My frame is stuck at customs and won't make the predicted phase down of lockdown. What a cruel joke. Anyone doe this before? Paperwork and stuff looks balls deep and complicated. Customs broker or not - I test ran a few and they seem to ask for minimum information but can...
  19. Calvin27

Sram standardize derailleur hanger.

Wow, SRAM trying to standardise the derailleur hanger. There's got to be something fishy here... https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/10/sram-introduces-universal-derailleur-hanger-concept-and-its-brilliant/ What's the catch? Am I too cynical? Even if shimanocomes up with their own design, that is...
  20. Calvin27

One Cycling body to rule them all

Haven't seen this posted on RB but lots of noise elsewhere about this potential merger. http://auscycling.com.au/ I can't see any more value for a MTBA member and the BMX folks seem unhappy about it. As with all things the usual CA conversations crop up. What say you MTBRs? Yay or nay?