Search results

1. carpetrunner

How to How to GoPro.... Bible

most of us wear a pack or camelback - I usually use an endura MT500 pack with a back protector. A pack harness and a chesty is bordering on bondage - not keen. Is there a chest harness that integrates into a pack harness to avoid the straps on straps on straps? - carpetrunner
  2. carpetrunner

The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

Bicentennial National Trail (BNT) membership, guidebooks and maps - is it worth it? Who's in BNT and why should I join?
  3. carpetrunner

No problem with the bags and the suspension movement - only 100mm anyway. There are frame bags out there for more difficult shock placement. If you can fit one biddon in the triangle, you should be able to get a 3L frame bag, if you can fit 2 bottles then you should get 5 or 6L. The biggest...
  4. carpetrunner

There are 2 routes from Endric/Red Ground T junction, straight ahead on the Endrick River firetrail and right on the Red Ground firetrail. The Red Ground firetrail is the AOTB route and was OK apart from being overgrown, no obvious private property, no gates other than the NP bogan gate just...
  5. carpetrunner

The Epic is only 100mm. I don't think I could have managed the loose climbs without traction from the rear suspension and I would have been beaten up by the descents. All up there was only around 11kg extra on the bike and it was reasonably balanced, I just pumped the shocks up a little - all...
  6. carpetrunner

This goes with that - SRAM 10sp rear derailleurs

The 8sp ebike derailleur is https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/rd-ex1-a1 The overwhelming opinion is that I'm a woose and that 42 is the new 36. I'll give a 11-42 a try and see what happens - when I can find one - damn you covid bike parts shortage. - carpetrunner
  7. carpetrunner

2/3 of Attack of the Buns I attacked Nowra to Bungendore from 17~19-feb solo. Firstly, it was fantastic. Gear Ride wot u got - weapon of choice is an old xc race bike, a dualie sworks epic 11sp - 28 x 10-46 A custom frame bag from...
  8. carpetrunner

This goes with that - SRAM 10sp rear derailleurs

good afternoon team, I have a 10sp SRAM XX rear derailleur with exact actuation that will go up to 36t cassette. Shimano have just released 11-42 and 11-46 10sp cassettes (bastards), I can't see any extender cages that will fit my vintage XX mech :( SRAM have just released an NX derailleur for...
  9. carpetrunner

Pads for a gravel bike

Sorry a bit late... I too run the TRP HyRd calipers with Campag 10sp levers and 160 rotors on a gravel bike - fully laden Syd-Melbs touring all good. The original TRP pads were OK-ish - lasted 5k of touring/commuting. I prefer the Shimano M515 resin pads for power and quietness. Pushing...
  10. carpetrunner

Planning and routing - why is so hard?

@Flow-Rider - the original idea was to take a light/small iPad birthday present touring/bikepacking rather than a laptop and have the ability to route offline. I like Basecamp, but I'd have to say Google routing has overtaken it. The last couple of rides I exported a google kml to Basecamp then...
  11. carpetrunner

OK so big thanks to @timedward - MapOut is a great iOS app and well worth the $7.99 - the manual is wonderful. It downloads OSM tiles when online and will perform routing offline to produce a gpx file. The UI is nice and clean. Getting that 'gpx' off the iPad and putting a 'fit' in the Garmin...
  12. carpetrunner

The garmin 530 is surprisingly good at dispalying the route for navigation - so I'm looking for making routes around the campfire the night before. I've had a go at strava routes - agree with @creaky it's a bit clunky and won't work off line. Maybe there's something I'm missing with Komoot - it...
  13. carpetrunner

I must be missing something really simple here - I don't believe it could be that hard. I have a small-ish GPS (edge 530) that is OK as a display of directions on the bars while riding - but far too small to do tour planning and routing. I can do that with a laptop using basecamp - but that...
  14. carpetrunner

Allen Keys

Another f-ing standard where an established standard works perfectly well - it's like the boost BB all over again - there has been a colour code since before Schwinn added a spring fork and fat tire to handle the abuse of teenage boys in 1930. 2mm is red 2.5mm is red/green (sans gold stripe as...
  15. carpetrunner

2014 Rockshox Product Matrix... Seriously WTF

Gravedig, I have some 29er Rockshox, SID XX World Cup (with added brain) forks sitting in the fix-it bin that need a new CSU. The blaxkbox CSU that came with it is very pretty - but more than the cost of a new fork to replace. Back in 2014 @SummitFever said... So what CSU's will fit these...
  16. carpetrunner

COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

If all of the poor and underprivileged err... die, then who is going to do all the shitty jobs? has 'merica turned into a goodies episode - apartheight?
  17. carpetrunner

Bike computer suggestions

On a roadie, touring and MTB, I've used various combinations of an android tablet, an android phone, a Garmin edge 500 (now close to death) mounted on the bars, a Garmin forerunner 910XT and 920XT multisport wristwatches, and more recently a Garmin edge 530 mounted on the bars. For MTB I use a...
  18. carpetrunner

Converting a 2x10 setup to 1x

..is it the spesh crank in this thread? https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-removing-crank.317018/ Originally I used a NW on the 2x spider - which was OK - in that the chain line was OK to pedal backwards in the 46T end of the cassette. But ... you can get an...
  19. carpetrunner

Help with removing crank

My S-works Epic is a torx, but it is the model before yours. You can get the tool from a Spesh dealer. It was the best value for money thing I've ever purchased from Spesh ($8). The spesh presfit is a plastic cup in the frame, so the BB bearing usually comes off with the crank, I have had a...
  20. carpetrunner

Cassette experiences...?

Shimano 11sp derailleurs don't play well with 10T cogs. The upper pulley is too low/forward. I had the same problem with a 10T oneUp shark tooth + Shimano...46 cassette until I changed to a Garbaruk derailleur cage. Now all good! - carpetrunner