Search results

1. Science

POS Repco Radical 26

How's this thing?! Almost totally original, and still with mud on it from it's only off road adventure about 2 years ago. Frame - Steel Front shock/fork - Steel rigid Handlebars - Steel flat Stem - Steel quill Headset - 1" threaded Grips - plastic Saddle - WTB Devo Seatpost - Steel...
  2. Science

Hayes suck. Need new Brakes. Suggestions?

I've finally cracked it with my Hayes Stroker Trails. I flew their flag for ages, but i finally have to admit after trying my partner's shimano hydros that they are just not as nice as the current gen brakes. So it's updating time. I'm poking about on CRC, and eyeing off the Avid elixir range...
  3. Science

Marin Palisade Trail custom build and Cube Attention and more!

A lot has happened since my Marin last graced the pages of this wonderful forum, so I think its time for an update. :EDIT: PICS UP. Specs! Specs are bits we all care about right? Frame: 2010 Marin Palisades Trail HT 17" Fork: 2010 Rockshox SID race with pushloc Crank: 2012 XT double with...
  4. Science

Stripped threads. RockShox SID. Update, Success!

An unfortunate incident has resulted in the brake bolt holes on my 2010 SIDs being stripped of their threads. As such, I can't refit my brakes. What's the best way to go about getting a new thread in there? Do helicoils come that small? Would you helicoil it or just tap the bore to suit a...
  5. Science

3x10 vs 2x10

I've just bought my partner a new Cube Attention. It has a 3x10 drive train with an 11-36 cassette and 22-32-44 chain rings. He rides a roady normally and has become accustomed to the simple 2x10 gear selection on that, so I'm considering fitting the Cube with the 2x10 rings I took off my new...
  6. Science

The Fleet (almost all of em)

OK, so i decided i'd make a thread to showcase my collection. so, we have. The Marin Palisades Trail My off road ride. Lots of mods, a total custom build. The Old Giant Boulder My commuter. She's an old steel frame, but running an all new drive line, doublewall rims, and some fat slicks to...
  7. Science

Any other Marin Riders? Rider reviews?

I've been riding a custom build Marin Palisades Trail for a few months, and love the hell out of it, but i have never seen anyone else ride one. Are there any other Marin riders out there?
  8. Science

creak and groan

My almost new CrankBrothers Iodine headset like to creak and groan and carry on under high stress events such an endos and heavy braking. I got the Iodine rather than the cobalt as i wanted the bigger set for the all purpose riding i do on this bike, so it should be coping. The fork is a...
  9. Science

converting a bmx

After spending a heap of time learning some basic trials moves on my XC bike, I've decided I want a bike specifically for the purpose. Laying around in the back yard is a WeThePeople bmx that is currently sitting unloved and in used. I've been pondering to myself the possibilities of...
  10. Science

A shout out to the LBS

In the past year or so, I've found myself swayed by the prices and range that web based stores such as ChainReactionCycles have to offer, that I rarely visit my LBS anymore. There have been the odd time where i've copped a flat, or snapped a chain where a quick trip to the LBS has had me sorted...
  11. Science

ROAD Returning a Giant to it's former Glory

And not a Downhill bike in sight. This was my boyfriend's dad's old ride, passed on to me so I don't have to wear out my good bike. Wasn't in bad condition when i got it, It even had a seat worth fitting to the Marin, but it was showing it's age with a worn chain, chainrings and cassette. I...
  12. Science

to SLX or not SLX?

Due to wear and tear, i'm about to replace the SLX cranks on my Marin. Chainreaction has SLX cranks at a great price at the minute, and it is tempting to just get another set in the 2 ring configuration. So. Should i just get SLX again, or maybe look at some of the alternitive brands...
  13. Science

The FixFixFix

This is my Skid bike, an SE Lager Frame - 2007 SE Lager Front shock/fork - Cro-Mo Handlebars - Alloy Bullhorns, leatherwrapped Stem - Pro XLt 70mm Headset - Ritchey Grips - Leather wrap Saddle - WTB Devo LTD Seatpost - Kalin Front brake - Bahahahahahahahahahahahahaha XD Rear brake -...
  14. Science

Cannondale RZ140 yeah na?

Got my eyes on a dualy for trail work (state parks, fire trails) after finding my XC bike's head tube is rather steap, and makes for nervous decents. Bike shop has a 2010 Cannondale RZ140 on the floor set to go at a great price, and before i lash out, i wonder if there is anything similar i...
  15. Science

Shagged crank arm: Options?

Not for my Mountain bike, but for my fixie. I have a set of Truvativ Elita GXP compact drive cranks, and due to an issue in the original installation, i've worn the splines in the aluminium on the left crank arm. I'm trying to find a fix for this, as the arm knocks back and forth a few mm and...
  16. Science

tubeless conversion on a non welded rim. Taking bets!

Well, i've just completed converting my Alexrims XD Lite's to tubeless with a Stan's kit. It went together really well, and even inflaed with ease with my micro floor pump. Now, everyone has told me that it would never hold air, that the tire will come off and all other disasters. So far, i...
  17. Science

Can RS SID race forks be bumped out?

As stated, can a 2010 Rockshox SID race fork be bumped from 100mm to 120? I know it can be done down to 80, but how about the other way?
  18. Science

what should i do with it?

I just picked up an Old steel framed Giant Boulder with an XL frame on a set of skinney tires and paniers. Would it be worth doing this thing up as a commuter or just palm it off as is? I'm just worried if I start doing this thing up it will end up like my good bike, with way too much money spent
  19. Science

SLX wheels.

having hit a car today (my fault, watching too many cars at once) i need to replace my front wheel. I was browsing through chain reaction when i discovered the Shimano SLX wheelset at a very good price. I was looking at getting XT wheels, but seeing as these are also UST, and a heap cheaper, i...
  20. Science

Raw steel.

I'm contemplating stripping my fixxie down to bare metal, putting it in the back yard and letting it rust for a bit, then rebuilding it with tonnes of chrome and billet. But im wondering if there is a way to limit the amount of rust I get to prevent it becoming structural. Once it's built, I...