Search results

1. Science

Shimano Shadow VS Conventional non-shadow. Difference in performance?

Thanks for that. :D I've had the pivot apart once before retensioning it, but it's pretty gone now. Unless further information comes in between now and the time it take to order a new RD on CRC, I shall get the Shadow GS, which is aparantly lighter too, So I suppose that's a thing.
  2. Science

Shimano Shadow VS Conventional non-shadow. Difference in performance?

Digging up an old thread because I still don't have a definitive answer. What exactly is Shadow claimed to do? So far i've found very little about Shadow. My partner's new Cube has an SLX shadow 10 speed set, but i cant tell if it's differesnces are due to SLX level, the 10 speed groupset or...
  3. Science

Hayes suck. Need new Brakes. Suggestions?

I haven't looked at Hope brakes before, as i've never known anyone who's run them, so i decided to go have a look. HOT DAMN THATS A SEXY BRAKE
  4. Science

POS Repco Radical 26

So the brakes were bad even when they were new?!
  5. Science

Stromlo conditions

I'm coming up from Melbourne this weekend for a car thing, But dragging the Bike along behind me to have a go at Stromlo for my first time. Looks rockier than i'm used to. should i run my CrossMarks or Ignitors, or a combo of both?
  6. Science

Centerlock Woes - Advice?

I have the same movement in the centerlocks on my partner's brand new Cube. No adaptors involved, shimano centerlock disks and hubs. Was considering taking it to LBS for a look, but got busy. Should they move?
  7. Science

POS Repco Radical 26

How's this thing?! Almost totally original, and still with mud on it from it's only off road adventure about 2 years ago. Frame - Steel Front shock/fork - Steel rigid Handlebars - Steel flat Stem - Steel quill Headset - 1" threaded Grips - plastic Saddle - WTB Devo Seatpost - Steel...
  8. Science

The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Vintage or just Old? I've just aquired this old Repco Rad26 15 speed MTB off a friend who bought it to ride to the shops, from a friend who bought it and never rode it, from a friend who bought it new and never used it. Garaged all it's life, the paint is still glossy and fresh, and the...
  9. Science

3x10 vs 2x10

How on earth can 2x not fit? Is this the "manufacturer" speaking or the bike shop?
  10. Science

XT is on my shortlist, CRC seems to be either out of stock or not listing them.
  11. Science

I've finally cracked it with my Hayes Stroker Trails. I flew their flag for ages, but i finally have to admit after trying my partner's shimano hydros that they are just not as nice as the current gen brakes. So it's updating time. I'm poking about on CRC, and eyeing off the Avid elixir range...
  12. Science

Stripped threads. RockShox SID. Update, Success!

::update:: After deciding there wasn't enough material to safely drill the 6mm hole out to 8mm in order to helicoil for the fork, I went to the bolt shop and bought 2 M7 35x1.0 bolts and carefully tapped a new, larger thread into the fork. I also had to bore out the mounting hardware (spacers...
  13. Science

stealthing a road bike bell

My Merida RideLite came with a little chrome topped bell. Tiny little thing it is. I commute on it though combined traffic and it's the best thing ever. And i've never once had someone ask why i still have a bell on my roady. I didn't even know there was an anti-bell movement among the...
  14. Science

Post Your XC Machine

My Marin
  15. Science

Marin Palisade Trail custom build and Cube Attention and more!

A lot has happened since my Marin last graced the pages of this wonderful forum, so I think its time for an update. :EDIT: PICS UP. Specs! Specs are bits we all care about right? Frame: 2010 Marin Palisades Trail HT 17" Fork: 2010 Rockshox SID race with pushloc Crank: 2012 XT double with...
  16. Science

3x10 vs 2x10

I've actually just gone to a 26-36 11-34 2x9 combo on my own bike, and while I'm yet to test it in the state forest where the climbs are much steeper (too steep for my old 1x9 34 11-32 set up) it feels great around town and at lysterfield.
  17. Science

3x10 vs 2x10

I've actually just gone to an 11-34 9 speed cassette on my own bike, with 26-36 double rings. I found 32-11 to be too narrow.
  18. Science

Stripped threads. RockShox SID. Update, Success!

I didn't realise this was so common. I'll pop by the bolt joint tomorrow