Search results

1. Jim Junkie

Rim cracks at spokes

Went to ride home from work yesterday and came down to a bike with a flat tire. Not unheard of as I quite often collect a thorn / thumb tack / other sharp object in the tire on the commute and get a slow leak. However, upon pulling the tire off, I noticed this: :oops:. For context, the...
  2. Jim Junkie

AM Back in Alloy: Spitfire

The Spitty is finally (mostly) complete. It’s a half new, half old mix up with a lot of the bits coming off the old Blur. I say mostly complete because brake hoses still need some trimming (rear) and lengthening (front), but it’s all there now. The details for the new bits: Frame: Banshee...
  3. Jim Junkie

Sizing: SC vs Banshee

So, it's starting to get to the point where I'm thinking more seriously about the next bike and the Spitfire has caught my eye. I'm coming from a SC Blur TRc in large, which to be honest, feels a bit tight these days. Based on the fact the Blur feels a bit small, I was thinking I'd bump it up...
  4. Jim Junkie

QLD [FOUND] Saint M820 Brake Levers

Item: Saint M820 Brake Levers - left & right, levers only Location: Brisbane (NW) Price range/Willing to Pay: Depending on condition, probably up to about $100 for the pair Extra Info: This is to replace a damaged M810 lever, and I figured I'd do the pair so they match. Given this, if someone...
  5. Jim Junkie

SRAM rear hub boost conversion

One for the brains trust. I've got a mate who's currently building up a bike around a new frame (2016 Bronson CC) from bit of his old one which was wrecked, including bringing the forks across. He's run into a bit of a problem with the rear wheel though, as the new frame is set up for 148x12...
  6. Jim Junkie

QLD [sold]

ITEM: Thomson X4 Stem SIZE: 70mm Zero rise, 31.8mm COLOUR: Black CONDITION: Good PRICE: $50 LOCATION: Brisbane REASON FOR SALE: No longer needed Just replaced my stem with a shorter one in a more bar matching colour, so have an extra lying around doing nothing. Condition looks good to...
  7. Jim Junkie

FOUND - 142x12 End Caps for Cobalt 3 Rear Wheel (Crank Bro's)

Item: 142x12 End Caps for a Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 Rear Wheel (This Sucker) FOUND Location: Brisbane, but happy to pay shipping if it's reasonable Price: $40 Extra info: As far as I can tell the end caps come with the wheel when purchased new as a wheelset, which is normally...
  8. Jim Junkie

Mt Joyce trail status?

Hi All, I've been thinking of making a trip out to Mt Joyce this coming weekend. It's a bit further to go than the usual, so I get there less often and have to plan further ahead to make it happen, so I would hate to get there & find my favorite trail closed or something. One of my mates...
  9. Jim Junkie

QLD WTB: Cheap 26" QR Rear Wheel - 6 bolt

Item: 26" QR or 10mm bolt rear wheel with 6 bolt hub Location: Brisbane, QLD Price range/Willing to Pay: Ideally $50 or under. Extra Info:: This is for my junker commuter that isn't a junker. The current Rhino lite has seen better days over its year service life and has beaten the crap out...
  10. Jim Junkie

Mitre Saws - what to look for?

I've got a few jobs around the place that need doing and a Mitre saw would be a great help to get them done. Things like flooring, building book shelves, that sort of stuff. As I tend to do all this sort of work myself and it inevitably turns into a never ending list, I figured it's time to...
  11. Jim Junkie

[FOUND] WTB: RS Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair - 200x51

I'm looking to replace the rear shock on my Blur TRc. Got my eyes set on the Monarch Debonair currently, but I might be able to be convinced to go with something else if the price & quality was right. Details below. Item: Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair Size: 200x51 Tune: M/M Location...
  12. Jim Junkie

Blur TRc Rear Shock Upgrade

Hey All, I'm currently toying with the idea of upgrading the rear shock in my Blur TRc. Currently it's a Fox Float RP23 Kashima, 200x51 I believe. Replacement options I'm looking at currently are: RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 DebonAir Cane Creek DBAir Reading around it seems the RS...
  13. Jim Junkie

Shimano XT M785 Freehub jamming

Hi All, I foolishly laced up some wheels somewhat recently with some Shimano XT hubs - M785 rear and M788 front to be exact. Recently, after about 400km's on them, the rear freewheel has started intermittently jamming up. I'll be cruising along and it just sucks freezes and throws the...
  14. Jim Junkie

The Reign in retirement

I've been wanting to get this up for a while now, but just haven't got around to it. I got the old 2005 Reign (dirt brown) stripped & powder-coated late last year to give it a bit of an update before turning it into a commuter. The colour is the original one I chose, then I changed my mind...
  15. Jim Junkie

Replacing head unit in 2009 Xtrail

So, the head-unit in my '09 X-Trail (Ti), other than being a bit average to begin with, has now decided that the '4' button isn't necessary. It's a bit of a pest and I feel like an upgrade anyway, mostly because I want bluetooth & built in hands free. It's a double DIN unit in there...
  16. Jim Junkie

Cranksets - Bog standard or something different?

Hi All, So on my recent trip to Thredbo, I managed to total my SLX crankset, chainring, chain and quite possibly bottom bracket, all at the same time. Basically an unlucky shot of the flow trail, clipping a rock on the inside of a turn and folding the end of the ring over, breaking 2 tabs on...
  17. Jim Junkie

QLD SOLD - DT Swiss XM1550 Tricon 26" Wheelset

Item: DT Swiss XM1550 Tricon 26" Wheelset - 135mm QR rear, 15/100mm TA front. Location: Brisbane Item Condition: Fair - Wheels run true, some cosmetic damage (see photos & extra info) Reason for selling: Going wide Price and price conditions: $300, reasonable offers considered. I would...
  18. Jim Junkie

The rise and fall of mountain biking

Saw this come through my inbox from SBS Cycling Central today: http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/philip-gomes/blog/128876/the-fall-and-rise-of-mountain-biking?position=image&cid=23218 And it made me think of some discussion I've seen on RB previously re. do you actually want mountain...
  19. Jim Junkie

2011 Santa Cruz Blur TRc Build

So, I've had this a little bit now and finally got it most of the way to where I want it. The biggest outstanding item is the bars which are a bit too narrow for my liking at the moment, having cut them down a long time ago to a bit over 600mm. Frame - Santa Cruz Blur TRc - large Rear shock...
  20. Jim Junkie

Picking new handlebars

G'day Everyone, I've done some forum searching & googling on what the deal is with handlebars and come to the conclusion I know very little on the subject. In the past, I've just been swapping the bar I've got from bike to bike and not really thinking about it. Having just built up a new bike...