Search results

1. johnny

Which drive train should I buy for my do-it-all ride?

So I had a monumental come-apart last week* and now my cranks/BB are fucked. How you ask? I have no fucking idea, but fucked they are. The left crank arm won't stay on the BB. There's no visible damage at all, the pinch bolts are fine (and tight), and the crank/spline interface has no visible...
  2. johnny

Thinking of giving a gravel bike a crack

So I'm thinking a gravel bike might be in my future. I want to start riding to work again, which is about 85% bike path and 15% dirt track and flat single track - about 15-20km each way depending on which route I take. My shoulder is still pretty fucked and might be for another year yet. I...
  3. johnny

Anyone dealth with shoulder instability, sublaxation/hyperlaxity before?

Anyone had to be treated for this before: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/chronic-shoulder-instability/ ? Keen to learn about treatments, successes, failures, recovery times, limits, etc.
  4. johnny

Ohlins TTX2Air Vs. Cane Creek Double Barrel Kitsuma Air

So I'm a bit stuck on which of these shocks to get for the Hyrax as both have dis/advantages. Regards performance, I think that they're likely to be about the same. Reviews of the products seem to be generally good with each having minor issues as per the individual rider testing them. But...
  5. johnny

WARNING: scammers active in Private Messages

Folks, A couple of members have recently alerted me to other members contacting them via PM in response to their wanted to buy threads. The people contacting them were very new accounts with no posts in any threads or engagement of any kind on this website and their general e-demeanor was...
  6. johnny

Would you do this?

Spacers on the steerer are differing widths/thickness
  7. johnny

Anyone in Canberra have any red ano Spank parts?

I've purchased a Spank Split stem that's supposed to be red but is closer to purple. MTB Direct, the retailer from which I purchased the stem is being helpful and trying to get a better version of the stem from the supplier. What they've asked me to do is take a pic of my stem next to a...
  8. johnny

Which tyres do you prefer and why

Searched back 15 pages and couldn't find nuttin! Word me up if I missed a thread. So I recently offended @moorey's sensitivities (your welcome!) by running an Ardent and High Roller on my trail/AM Hyrax. I've always just gone maxxis out of habit and been of the belief that IU'd get a greater...
  9. johnny

What are you reading? Books, articles or publications of any kind!

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already - looked back through 2+ years of OT and couldn't find anything. Link me to it if I've missed it and I'll delete this one. I'm on a bit of a reading binge at the moment, first goal is to better understand the the drivers for and character of...
  10. johnny

FOUND Shimano Rear 20mm post mount brake adaptor (160-180)

Item: Shimano Rear 20mm post mount brake adaptor (160-180) SM-MA90-F180P/P Location: ACT, can do postage Item Condition: Condition is essential! Price and price conditions: Can buy new for $10-15, I'd prefer to utilise something that's just sitting in some one's parts box doing nothing. Pictures:
  11. johnny

FOUND - it's always in the last place you look...

Item: Shimano Pressfit BB suits 89.5mm or 92mm shell widths to replace SRAM BB89/91.5 on this frame: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/stache/stache-7-29/p/16906/ Location: Canberra, happy to consider postage costs Item Condition: doesn't have to be...
  12. johnny

Headsets are confusing when you're a bit dim....

Need to by a headset for the Hyrax (because I fucking lost a bunch of parts...). The Pyga webiste says: All of our framesets fit a Cane Creek 40series ZS44/ZS56 tapered headset. https://eu.pygamountainbikes.com/support/faq/?v=79cba1185463 I'm running an RS Lyrik ultimate, which has steerer...
  13. johnny

Canberra rides and beers

Figured I’d get the discussion rolling a bit early as I’m really looking forward to the end of the year and this can give me a deadline to get the Hyrax finished! ride and beers don’t have to happen on the same day either, and there’s no reason to limit ourselves to just one, of either...
  14. johnny

Drop it like it's what?!

There are so many dropper brands and models out there. All I've ever had is a reverb (first one carked it under warranty, replacement has been fine for 8 years with only a single service), so the range out there these days is a little bewildering to me. So I'm looking for advice/suggestions. I...
  15. johnny

Question for the technically minded - VPN and data protection

I tend to avoid almost anything that needlessly requires log in - SBS on demand is the perfect example. But now ABC iView is preparing to force log ins as well. There is a single reason for this, the collection of data. I don't think that I need to preach to anyone here about how important...
  16. johnny

Project Hyrax: johnny's build thread

FRAME: Pyga Hyrax large FORK: Lyric Ultimate REAR SHOCK: RS Deluxe RT3 RIMS: DT Swiss Front-XM481, Rear-EX511 HUBS: Hope Pro4 boost SPOKES: DT Swiss Comp NIPPLES: DT Swiss VALVES: DERT Tubeless AXLE: Maxle Ultimate TYRES: Front-Maxxis Minion DHF, Rear-Maxxis Ardent HANDLE BAR: Renthal Fatbar...
  17. johnny

TDF 2021

I'm watching it, are you?
  18. johnny

How to work out which fork offset is right for me

So I get the concept of fork offset and the influence of wheel base. But I'm not sure how to choose which offset I should get when I don't have the opportunity to test the range of options on the frame which I'm buying for. I have my heart set on Lyriks - 150mm on a 140mm frame. They have...
  19. johnny

Lyrik or Pike?

So I'm buying new forks, to put on the Hyrax but am struggling with the same supply issues as we all are. I originally wanted to put some new Lyrik ultimates on but am struggling to find some available that haven't been jacked through the roof in terms of price. I can see some Pikes for a nearly...
  20. johnny

Post about your positive trade dealings with other forum users

I might be losing my marbles, but I thought there was a thread where we would post positive trade dealings with other forum users. Did I imagine that or do my search abilities just suck? I want to post my positive experience buying a frame from @Rusty_68 IF I find the old thread, I'll delete...