Search results

1. ashes_mtb

WA FOUND 10sp Shimano shifter

Item: 10sp Shimano shifter, bar clamp style Location West is best Item condition description: working Price and price conditions: cheap - reviving a bike for my sons mate Pictures:
  2. ashes_mtb

Rotorburn Dopplegangers

Spotted someone that looks like a one of us Rotorburners? Or what you think one of us looks like? Or suspiciously Rotorburner like posts elsewhere? This is the place to share.
  3. ashes_mtb

WA FOUND V-Brake Lever

10 year old has broken the brake lever (left side) on his bmx. It’s just a cheap beater he rides to school but is pretty attached to it. Stupidly sold my old Avid SD7’s and Shimano levers that would have been perfect… ‍:confused: Before I order off ebay or aliexpress thought I’d see if...
  4. ashes_mtb

Brake Caliper Upgrade Options - Shimano v Shigura

I’m chasing mwoarr braking power after finding the limits of my 2 pot XT’s in a few situations recently. Probably been in denial about them being enough for my weight for quite a while. I’d rather keep the current m8000 levers given my shifter and dropper are ispec-ii, so more into caliper...
  5. ashes_mtb

International Great Cycle Challenge 2022 - raising money to fight kids cancer

So I’m going around again this year hoping to raise some money for a good cause, aiming for 500km this year (up from 400 last year). Would love to get to the $1,000 mark again this year. I’m going to finish with a big ride again and will do 2m vertical cheers for every dollar donated. If...
  6. ashes_mtb

ROAD Ashes has a Ful Väg

This is my shitty road bike named Ful Väg (Swedish for ‘ugly road’). It’s a 2006 Trek 1000 SL I paid way too much for ($150). Have always been a vocal anti-roadie but I’m getting less judgemental in my old age (opposite of what’s supposed to happen) and a mate was keen for me to join him on...
  7. ashes_mtb

Ashes#6: On-Eleven Rebred

Thought the old On-One Inbred was due a makeover and refresh for its 15th birthday. Originally bought this for bike packing and general trail riding. Did a 6 day stint on the Munda Biddi with it, but then went back to my old dually for trail riding and consigned this to commuting, bmx and...
  8. ashes_mtb

Chain skipping on 11t..

Having some issues with the chain skipping when back pedalling in the smallest cog. Setup is 11 speed SLX, 11-42 cog. Boost 29er. Using middle position of a Shimano triple crankset with Wolftooth NW ring. Chainline measured around 49-50mm. B-screw looks good. Only an issue in small cog...
  9. ashes_mtb

Shimano Shifter Screw (SLX m7000)

I’m in the process of switching my shifters from bar mount to ispec ii and it turns out one of the screws is shorter for the ispec ii mount, and the bar mount one won’t go in fully. Anyone got any suggestions or have a dead shifter lying around I could scavenge a screw from?
  10. ashes_mtb

Recovery for dummies

Are there any rules of thumb for next day/s after a significant ride. Killed myself last night and was wondering if I’m better off going for an easy walk or turning my legs over on the bike. Coming from zero base fitness I’m a bit worried about burning myself out; is there a rule of thumb...
  11. ashes_mtb

International Ashes Challenge

I’m throwing my hat in the Great Cycle Challenge this year. Limited time so aiming for 400km on the mountain bike with a mix of commuting and actual mountain biking. I know you’ve all got plenty of mates doing this sort of stuff, but if anyone can spare a few dollars to the cause I’d...
  12. ashes_mtb

Dealing with injury risk

I’m at one of those crossroads and not really sure what to do. Had a fairly innocuous crash 4 months ago and, aside from the broken hand, picked up a mildish concussion. 4 months and a couple of minor head knocks later and the symptoms haven’t gone (headaches, light/noise sensitivity...
  13. ashes_mtb

Project Drawing Bikes

Being injured and off the bike is bloody boring. Looking at the work of Renaks from https://standoutbikes.com/ and not having any photos of my old bikes gave me an idea, and lots of time to kill did the rest. This is a rough estimate of my first mountain bike, a late 80’s Indi 500. I‘m...
  14. ashes_mtb

What Garmin watch features do I really need for fitness?

The "I will ride _____km in 2021" thread has me now looking at GPS watches to track how many km’s I’m doing without faffing with the phone, and naturally I’ve now gone off the deep end looking at what they can do... I’m pretty keen on the Garmins (most likely Instinctbut not really sure what...
  15. ashes_mtb

RS Debonair C1 Upgrade Kit

Just after some feedback on the C1 upgrades from those that have done it. Was set to pull the trigger but a few guys at last nights ride said they found them harsh and preferred the previous Debonair. I'm currently running 2019 130mm Revelations and was keen to bump up slightly to 140mm, and...
  16. ashes_mtb

Rock Shox Deluxe tuning options

I'm running the stock Rock Shox Deluxe R debonair (190 x 45) in my Norco Fluid and aren't really getting along with it. The thing just feels lifeless, and to me is too slow in both rebound and compression. Running rebound wide open, and at its slowest setting you could measure rebound with an...
  17. ashes_mtb

Boost / Non-Boost Adaptable Wheels

Trying to help a mate out. He bought a new Mavic Crossride 29 wheel that was described as 15x100/110 with adapters. I assumed that meant it was essentially a 15x100 with adapters to go to Boost. He has a 15x100 fork. The wheels came with these removable gold spacers which I assumed adapted...
  18. ashes_mtb

Ashes No.7 - On Strange Wheels

Here's the spiritual successor to the mortally wounded Ashes No.4. 23 years newer and 29 inch wheels... With the Giant dead, I needed a new frame and decided I was best going something new or near new given how long I go between bikes. Mostly spend my time trail riding with the young fella...
  19. ashes_mtb

XT M8000 Bleed Issue

Had to install a new hose for my rear XT brake and am having a hell of a time getting them going. Still getting no lever feel or movement at the piston. Barb and olive are in good and no leaks. Ditto at the banjo, remembered the o-rings and there's no leaks there. Have pushed oil up from...
  20. ashes_mtb

SOLD

Item: NX Eagle Crankset & BB Location: Perth, happy to post. Item Condition:. Slightly used / near new. Reason for selling: Divorce avoidance. Needed a new frame and these were attached to a bike purchase but I'm using my old gear. Price and price conditions: $100 plus post. Extra Info...