Search results

1. Carlin

Post your commuter!

One of those was reviewed in one of the first few AMBs I bought as I was getting into mountainbiking. The forks were OK for the price point, the LX was solid and you would be hard pressed to find disc brakes on a stock bike for less. In 2001 dollars, I could only dream of having a bike like that...
  2. Carlin

Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

Well there are some advantages to not getting out on the mountain bike all that often now days, and being a bit out of the loop: things like OMV creep up on you. New mountain bike trail in Sydney you say? News to me. Anyway, had the day off work today, I had stumbled across this thread, so I...
  3. Carlin

The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

They said it couldn't be done. My 1997 Research Dynamics, built up as a pub-bike-commuter and recently sold. The build-up was loosely based on the idea of cruiser for the street. A little bit of BMX cruiser and a little bit of Klunker fat-tire cruiser (but MTB to street not street to MTB).
  4. Carlin

The Single Speed Thread

The tug nut is poorly designed. A QR skewer is not meant to take the horizontal force of a hub trying to move in a set of vertical dropouts under the torque of a single-speeder (Yest I have bent skewers). What you need is a chain tensioner that slots into the dropouts and cups the 10mm axle...
  5. Carlin

The Fixie Thread

Hey, good to see something being organised in Sydney. Do you mind if I post a link to this on fixed.org? Carlin
  6. Carlin

Post your commuter!

I'm not sure what it is, as the frame had been powder-coated already when I bought it. It's pretty 'solid', the paint might be hiding a multitude of sins though.
  7. Carlin

Post your commuter!

The blue commuter. Now with added beardo rando flower-sniffing flavour.
  8. Carlin

Sydney-Gosford Classic 10 April 2011

Good evening. The route can now be viewed here. If you are planning to come, and can't list yourself as attending on Facebook, just send me a pm or post in this thread. Cheers, Carlin
  9. Carlin

Sorry. This one is locked in (it's the same day as the Paris Roubaix, thus the northern theme).
  10. Carlin

Sydney to the 'Gong is soft. So dig deep, no winging 'there are too many hills'. We're going to ride North through bike paths, back roads and the Lane Cove and Kuringai 'forests'. This ride to be roughly 115km. There are some tricky bits to navigate at the beginning. Once we hit Bobbin Head...
  11. Carlin

The Fixie Thread

You want a chain tug that slots inside the 10mm drop out and cups the axle Not the QR. The Surly 'QR adapter' does not do this, the whole assembly sits on the outside of the dropout QR or not. I think the DMR chain tugs might. If the chain tug holds the QR and not the axle then it will suck. I...
  12. Carlin

The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

I love how this thread just keeps ticking along. Is it heresy to post up this? It is old news and I'm sure a few here have seen it in Dirt Rag, but I thought it looked nice: From the Mountain Goat Cycles blog. And of course see MOMBAT. I'm getting really interested in this 'neo-retro' thing.
  13. Carlin

The Fixie Thread

My latest: I'm calling it an accident. I didn't really need to buy the frame, and I just happened to have the parts just lying around in the garage. Whoops.
  14. Carlin

road bike rules, nsw

A very slow trip. You would be better off lane splitting in single file and actually getting somewhere! Agreed.
  15. Carlin

Flinging around with the entrant list

Go on then. What is it?
  16. Carlin

The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

Cool. So yeah, simpler is better. :)
  17. Carlin

Post your commuter!

^^Looks fast. Here's my blue commuter:
  18. Carlin

3 Ring Circus

It's a bit late now, but I'd stick with the Larsens.
  19. Carlin

The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

Hey, nice thread. I'm trying to figure out a way to strap a 13L dry bag with a 2kg tent to my bars. I don't have time to order a nice harness from Alaska. http://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&CategoryID=3 Has anyone got any tips? I've tried strapping it a...
  20. Carlin

The Single Speed Thread

I once made something like that with some large cogs and an angle grinder. It worked pretty well, but if one of those is needed to keep the chain on then there is something wrong with the set-up. A tensioner is neat and solid when properly set up. It is your best bet. (And run the chain a bit...