Search results

1. P

The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

From what I can make out world consumption is slowing. It seems uncontroversial that coal consumption in 'the west' has been dropping. If you look at figures from eia.gov (unfortunately only available to 2012) claims that 'if you take out China the rest of the world's consumption has dropped'...
  2. P

The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Reading it again, this has never been the case. They've been trying to share it all along. But the old right would never accept any of it. Though as mentioned by others a younger Greg Hunt had a plan I'm assuming that the people who've made renewables work include quite a few more modern right...
  3. P

Agreed but while markets will adjust some of the existing heavyweights will have to adjust or lose out. This is actually starting to happen. In spite of our attempts to keep subsidising its use Let them eat coal? Please cite examples. Perhaps in the 70s? But it seems to me at least that the...
  4. P

Just who is it that prefers to ignore the facts because they're concerned they conflict with their corporate libertarian ideology? Are we supposed to indulge you like little children? If you believe your ideology can deal with AGW prove it - but your leaders prefer to deny instead - it seems...
  5. P

GST threshold for imports to be lowered

That's what I'm thinking too. Still a win for the Gerry Harveys. It's not the 10%, it's the cost of applying it. For everyone except the big players it will be just too difficult so they won't sell to us. And the big players will factor the compliance cost into the australian price. If there's...
  6. P

I don't believe they've changed their membership policy. And I wonder if they have women to do the housework in their club, cleaners, cooks etc. I'd be surprised if letting women in the door for a paid private function was the great leap forward the Libs seem to think it is.
  7. P

They are politicians after all. Everyone is biased, they're just also correct ;) It's not as if they're scientists who are expected to stay boring and objective while everyone else uses whatever sells their self interest.
  8. P

I hope you're wrong because that would make the most likely replacement someone who can't afford to wait till 2019. Prime Minister Kevin Andrews. And unfortunately I doubt Julia Gillard will be willing to be deputy to him.
  9. P

Best all rounder front tyre

My 2.4 rubber queens aren't protections (though they are black chili) but I wouldn't choose them if I thought an HD trailstar too slow. They're fast compared to something like a minion, massively faster compared to super tacky but Trailstar's not bad either My experience is the Conti grips...
  10. P

Ves 2014...

Some pics from Albury at http://paulbr.smugmug.com/MTB/Races/Pushys6HourEnduro2014/
  11. P

Pushys 6 Hour Albury - VES round 2

Pictures from Pushy's 3 and 6 hour enduro at Albury. http://paulbr.smugmug.com/MTB/Races/Pushys6HourEnduro2014/
  12. P

Moto GP.

Early last Monday morning - was night in Qatar. A good race between Marquez and Rossi, not so good for all those who fell off.
  13. P

falls creek

Had fun yesterday shuttling the new downhill track with the chair lift along with a quick lap of the new xc and the xc downhill off the end of the aqueduct track. All fun, the DH track is quite doable on an XC bike and the XC has some fun bermy sections - maybe if you could take Mariners at...
  14. P

Efficiency of walking v riding up a hill

It all depends. Theoretical physics wise the energy is always the same, but that doesn't mean you can run instead of walk and use the same subjective energy. I've 'raced' a single speed in the past, including the first dirt works 100, but mostly ride geared bikes now. I find getting off...
  15. P

Holden out of Oz in 2017

Nice, have you got a shoehorn? We used to have a 3.5 - was fun to drive. But even the little V8 was a tight fit in the engine bay.
  16. P

Fox RP23 propedal position

I wouldn't quite put it like that (I like my Motolite) but The Cat has a point. If you have an FSR the difference climbing should be huge. If your bike climbs alright without pro pedal the difference won't be huge (though I'd agree on some bikes you can see the extra shock movement). Downhill...
  17. P

more 27.5" goodness, Pivot Mach 6

The 5.7c is almost too good. It's like cheating. Go out for a ride on it and you do half as much distance again. Incredibly stiff - makes everything else seem noodley. But more xc/trail than AM imho. Not that that makes it slow heading downhill. But my Transition is still more fun ;) The mach...
  18. P

Impressive. You seem to have confused two different initiatives, the carbon price and the resource tax. Last I saw the carbon policy was delivering lower carbon emissions. In contrast the resource tax is pretty useless.
  19. P

Kick - the best austrAlian album ever?

Stoneage Romeos or for something completely different Since I Left You
  20. P

Roadies have gone where roadies shalt not!

I think there are a few super tight low speed corners where I ride that need more steering lock than they allow. And not sure about the sheer forces on the shock mount bolts? But it won't be a problem as long as it isn't ridden off road ;)