Search results

1. k3n!f

The "I will ride _____km in 2021" thread - commit and conquer here!!

Already hit my target of 5000km, which is lucky as the new baby arrives next week so the bike might get neglected for a while. Until I figure out if zip ties or gaffer tape is better for attaching a baby to a bicycle...
  2. k3n!f

Newly Released Suspension & Components General

Maybe I'm old and grumpy, but I have no interest in electrical components on my mountain bike. I go riding to get away from the digital world and the thought of running out of batteries for my derailleur/seatpost/suspension/brakes(!?!?!) in the middle of nowhere doesn't appeal at all. I really...
  3. k3n!f

Sizing vs reach

Indeed! If my back was still up to it I'd be on a hardtail. Thanks for the replies everyone. My saddle height at the moment is 76.5cm. I spent years riding with it 77.5-78cm but has lowered it to take some pressure off my lower back as I tend to ride longer distances these day. I've always...
  4. k3n!f

Sizing vs reach

Dear Dr. Beebenson, I'm forever struggling with being between two sizes (M/L) as I'm 178cm tall. I'm currently on a medium SB100 with a reach of 432 and a top tube length of 605 which I ride with a 50mm stem. This is a pretty short playful bike that I ride in a fairly upright position. I have...
  5. k3n!f

Recommendations on crankset upgrade

With that information, I'd probably buy this: https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/shimano-mt900-crankset-170mm.319550/ Will need a 24mm Shimano bottom bracket and then you're sorted.
  6. k3n!f

over vs under-biked.

Meh, I'd rather ride a bike that is the right bike for 95% of the riding that I do, than be overbiked for 95% of the riding that I do.
  7. k3n!f

Am I a dickhead? Damaged Nomad 4 frame butchering

Uhhhhh R U OK? Is it done or have you gone bananas? Asking because I'm considering a project bike....
  8. k3n!f

The Yeti ASR Carbon is dead. Long live the Yeti SB100.

Ha! This frame has had a pretty hard life, 4200km in 10 months, including a weekend bombing Thredbo and being VERY underbiked for some Maydena shuttles! Talking to the LBS Yeti dealer recently they said they have around a 4-5% warranty rate on Yeti frames. I guess that means either 1) I'm...
  9. k3n!f

I know I've had my fair share of problems, maybe more... However, Yeti and Rowney Sports have provided exemplary service. In less that 45 minutes my warranty has been approved and the new part is being posted directly to my house, not a bike shop, because of lockdown. In comparison to some of...
  10. k3n!f

Lockdown is looking like it'll hang around in Melbourne for a while, so I thought I would take a closer look at a squeak from my bike. Turns out the grease port on the drive side had blocked up and the slider is totally shagged. The bushing inside the SI link is shredded on that side too. The...
  11. k3n!f

Fox Fit4 rebound needle replacement?

That would be immensely helpful! The online guide uses a Fox 34 whereas mine is a 32 with a different part number for the rebound adjustment needle. Looking at this diagram I can't tell if the rebound adjustment needle can be removed without messing with the damper shaft. It almost looks like...
  12. k3n!f

Fox Fit4 rebound needle replacement?

I have a 2016 Fox 32 with a Fit4 damper and the rebound needle has snapped at the rebound knob attachment point. I had previously asked the LBS to replace it, but they couldn't find the part without replacing the entire Fit4 damper. As a COVID project I'm going to service the fork lowers which...
  13. k3n!f

Newly Released Suspension & Components General

I'm trying to figure out why people run a billion point engagement hub and then need an O-Chain? Doesn't my 18 point engagement hub do the same thing?
  14. k3n!f

Newly Released Bikes General

The EB Lux Trail is full XTR/Fox/DT1200 dream build for $8800 or you could get an S-Works Epic Evo frame only for $7600. Or you could buy both and still be $5000 better off compared with buying the S-Works Epic Evo complete bike. Shame about the paint job.
  15. k3n!f

Frame painting... (or frame wrapping?)

I'm going to need something stronger. This is awkward to confess, but I might need to cover up some Specialized logos. I know, I feel dirty.
  16. k3n!f

Great idea, I didn't even know frame wrap was a thing. I thought it was only for clear protective purposes. Has anyone actually done this to their bike? Got any photos? Experiences with this product? https://bunnyhop.com.au/collections/bike-wraps
  17. k3n!f

So, I'm thinking about options for a new bike but I hate the frame paint jobs. I've been wondering about buying a new bike and painting the frame. Is it really this easy? How would it differ on a carbon frame? Do you have to strip the old paint or can you just paint over it? If you strip the...
  18. k3n!f

What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

I've been sick for a couple of weeks (#covidnegative) and didn't bother doing any training for this race as I assumed it would be cancelled due to lock down. Decided to go along for a fun notarace and really enjoyed it. Some rain the night before turned some of the clay sections to peanut butter...
  19. k3n!f

Tokyo 2020

Different sort of respect. I respect the Hardline riders for being able to turn off their brain. I respect the XC riders for being able to ride down hills on XC whips on a track that most Pinkbike members would need an enduro bike and a full face helmet for, after they have smashed themselves up...
  20. k3n!f

Newly Released Bikes General

Specialized can fuck off. They are charging $2000 more for a frame than the high end boutique companies. Dentists can go buy Specialized, us plebs will stick with Yeti.