Electric Vehicles etc

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

Probably a good idea given BMW's current design direction.
That's a surprising comment from an automotive executive :oops:
Even though newer cars are more efficient, it is far better to keep old cars running for as long as they reasonably can be.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
It's an interesting dilemma, and one I am currently exploring. I own a Gen 1 Leaf, which has done 100K. Battery currently at 75% capacity so a realistic winter range of only 75km. The rest of the car is fine, everything works, interior in good nick, and minimal rattles. This batch of Leafs were made in Japan and aside from the battery degradation are known for being very reliable and well screwed together, lots of reports of cars doing 300K plus OS with battery swaps.

There are after market options coming online in Australia, currently in contact with with a bloke in Melbourne who is quoting a replacement 62kWH battery (almost 3x capacity of the original 24kWH unit, so probably 350km range) of $20K using CATL modules, same as currently being installed in a lot of Chinese EVs. Realistically with transport to and from Tasmania, and would probably need stiffer springs installed as the battery casing apparently projects lower than the original, would probably cost in the range of $23K all up. New cars with that size battery start at $50K (BYD), so it's basically half the price.

If I could get it done locally, and get to keep the old battery which could be converted into house solar storage it'd be a no brainer, especially since junior is only a few years off his L plates so would be a very cheap car to run for him. Otherwise do I just go for the new battery and hope that the rest of the car holds up?

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It's an interesting dilemma, and one I am currently exploring. I own a Gen 1 Leaf, which has done 100K. Battery currently at 75% capacity so a realistic winter range of only 75km. The rest of the car is fine, everything works, interior in good nick, and minimal rattles. This batch of Leafs were made in Japan and aside from the battery degradation are know for being very reliable and well screwed together, lots of reports of cars doing 300K plus OS with battery swaps.

There are after market options coming online in Australia, currently in contact with with a bloke in Melbourne who is quoting a replacement 62kWH battery (almost 3x capacity of the original 24kWH unit, so probably 350km range) of $20K using CATL modules, same as currently being installed in a lot of Chinese EVs. Realistically with transport to and from Tasmania, and would probably need stiffer springs installed as the battery casing apparently projects lower than the original, would probably cost in the range of $23K all up. New cars with that size battery start at $50K (BYD), so it's basically half the price.

If I could get it done locally, and get to keep the old battery which could be converted into house solar storage it'd be a no brainer, especially since junior is only a few years off his L plates so would be a very cheap car to run for him. Otherwise do I just go for the new battery and hope that the rest of the car holds up?
Do the new packs have anything done about the rubbish cooling?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I've seen various studies that do say that keeping a well maintained car to its full lifetime is better than just disposing of them every 10 or so years.
Keeping old cars longer can help the environment MORE than buying new electric cars - Study Finds

When Used Cars Are More Ecofriendly Than New Cars - Scientific American
Exactly - "full life", "10 years". You can push the assumptions around to get the answer you want. Also obviously depends on what youre replacing with what.

Those studies are not particularly good if memory serves.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
No, but a) that's not an issue in Tasmania, and b) it was only really with the first generation of battery chemistry in hot climates where it was a real problem. The newer chemistries are much more heat tolerant
In that case the only real argument for not spending on it is if the body etc is rough or you feel the safety suite etc is outdated. Given thats probably a no, then may as well keep it going.

They can be made to look pretty cool with some Enkais
1670201206002.png

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
In that case the only real argument for not spending on it is if the body etc is rough or you feel the safety suite etc is outdated. Given thats probably a no, then may as well keep it going.
Yeah, that's what I reckon. Body fine aside from a couple of home panel beater fixed dings thanks to the missus and safety wise it's got four airbags, ABS, EFD, traction control etc so it's really only missing the modern fruit salad alerts such as cross traffic, lane keeping, blind spot, front collision warning blah blah which have frankly given me the shits when I have driven cars with them installed.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Yeah, that's what I reckon. Body fine aside from a couple of home panel beater fixed dings thanks to the missus and safety wise it's got four airbags, ABS, EFD, traction control etc so it's really only missing the modern fruit salad alerts such as cross traffic, lane keeping, blind spot, front collision warning blah blah which have frankly given me the shits when I have driven cars with them installed.
Given we are looking at more than half that sort of coin to reinvigorate (rebuilt engine, rebuilt gearbox and front diff, new clutch) the original driveline of a turn of the century one owner Subaru Forester with a bit over 300k on the clock...I'd say go for it.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, but a) that's not an issue in Tasmania, and b) it was only really with the first generation of battery chemistry in hot climates where it was a real problem. The newer chemistries are much more heat tolerant
Agreed the new battery chemistries don't seem to degrade any worse than a Tesla or many others but it still is a fast charging issue (aka rapidgate) EV's enhanced in NZ are just starting to produce a liquid cooled LFP pack that would deal with everything. Having said that I'm sure you aren't doing laps of Tasmania in the leaf so doing more than 400km in a trip regularly is probably not an issue.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
saw a left have drive renault megane EV out testing yesterday. they did say the RS line would be electric but this was a normal family hatch version. be nice to see more regular sort of cars that happen to be electric. I wonder how well they can make a smaller car handle if they remove half the batteries and weight.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
saw a left have drive renault megane EV out testing yesterday. they did say the RS line would be electric but this was a normal family hatch version. be nice to see more regular sort of cars that happen to be electric. I wonder how well they can make a smaller car handle if they remove half the batteries and weight.
Is that the suv one? Shame the nameplate got bastardised by SUVing it... There is not really anything French left that appeals these days, sad theyre just making boring suv clones after a long history of innovative and interesting designs :(

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Is that the suv one? Shame the nameplate got bastardised by SUVing it... There is not really anything French left that appeals these days, sad theyre just making boring suv clones after a long history of innovative and interesting designs :(
...that lost money and caught on fire.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk