Spray Bike

Scotty675

Cable thief
Well this stuff is a dream to work with. It’s definitely not like usual pressure pack. It goes on very dry. I didn’t even wet sand primer. Quick run over with 800 and done. Put one light coat of colour on. It covers really easily. Will give it a light sand tomorrow and colour again. Hard to get a good pic of colour because of bad light.
84298FC2-286F-4390-A56F-77379A90BC13.jpeg

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've put a bit of effort into the colour choices on this, but clearly hadn't thought through how this paint works enough.

I was told that the fluro is a bit thicker and goes on very Matt. I thought this wouldn't have been as pronounced though so plowed ahead with my ideas.

Stripped bare
Etch primer
Black coat
Clear sparkle coat
*At this point I should have given it a light sand
Masked up the text
Sprayed green
Masked off the green
Sprayed pink
Caaaaaarefully removed the text
Sprayed clear

It's not perfect. The fluro is very textured so I'd need a lot of clear to make it smooth. The paint also had a tendency to want to tear while I was unmasking the text.

At the end of the day though, I think it'll get the point across just fine

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'm feeling like it's a bit plain. I have no idea how that happens with rad fluro colours like that, but somehow it looks like it's missing something. Some contrast.

I was thinking of possibly splattering some black at it so it has some blobs of contrast. Or do I stop over thinking it and just bolt it all together and let the bolts and pivots provide contrast?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I'm feeling like it's a bit plain. I have no idea how that happens with rad fluro colours like that, but somehow it looks like it's missing something. Some contrast.

I was thinking of possibly splattering some black at it so it has some blobs of contrast. Or do I stop over thinking it and just bolt it all together and let the bolts and pivots provide contrast?

Stop overthinking it! Put it together and use black components.

Labcanary

Mr Canary painted an old steel frame on the weekend. @Plankosaurus, this was the grey Creo frame you grabbed alllll that time ago.
He used Elderberry and Mustang from Spray Bike and went to town with the splatter effect. He went full Brian from Spaced

Built it up with scavenged parts (and some not so scavenged parts) as a loaner commuter for a friend whose bike recently died. Soon to be replaced with a bike coming from @Plankosaurus' random acquisition collection.

The whole process was fairly easy. It was nice not having to strip the paint completely off and prime and blah blah. It was just a case of clean off any stickers, lightly sand the whole thing. Clean again and paint. It definitely pays to do a good top coat of whatever floats your boat, be it satin gloss, matte, etc. Otherwise the paint tends to have a textured effect.

Next attempt will be a solid colour.

photo_2022-10-01_17-00-21.jpg

PXL_20221001_065215853.jpg

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Mr Canary painted an old steel frame on the weekend. @Plankosaurus, this was the grey Creo frame you grabbed alllll that time ago.
He used Elderberry and Mustang from Spray Bike and went to town with the splatter effect. He went full Brian from Spaced

Built it up with scavenged parts (and some not so scavenged parts) as a loaner commuter for a friend whose bike recently died. Soon to be replaced with a bike coming from @Plankosaurus' random acquisition collection.

The whole process was fairly easy. It was nice not having to strip the paint completely off and prime and blah blah. It was just a case of clean off any stickers, lightly sand the whole thing. Clean again and paint. It definitely pays to do a good top coat of whatever floats your boat, be it satin gloss, matte, etc. Otherwise the paint tends to have a textured effect.

View attachment 393190

View attachment 393191
They're going to be bitterly disappointed with the crappy Avanti I'm donating now

Labcanary

They're going to be bitterly disappointed with the crappy Avanti I'm donating now

Nah, his old bike was canti brakes and 7 speed. Anything slightly more modern than that and he'll be well happy!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

View attachment 393190

View attachment 393191
That looks great!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I havn't bolted this together properly, just needed to see what it looked like. I still think too light, like it needs setting on the frame still. Wifey suggested watermelon seeds which I don't hate

Still over thinking this

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I havn't bolted this together properly, just needed to see what it looked like. I still think too light, like it needs setting on the frame still. Wifey suggested watermelon seeds which I don't hate

Still over thinking this

I feel like it needs a bit more fade between the two colours if I’m honest. I was also thinking small black dot spatter-pattern (like flicked from the bristles of a paint-laden toothbrush rather than throwing globs of paint at the frame), so I agree with the watermelon seeds idea.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I feel like it needs a bit more fade between the two colours if I’m honest. I was also thinking small black dot spatter-pattern (like flicked from the bristles of a paint-laden toothbrush rather than throwing globs of paint at the frame), so I agree with the watermelon seeds idea.
I do believe you're onto something

I'll experiment tomorrow!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That muddies up the transition between colours nicely, spectacular work Mr beeb!

Well, it's somewhat different to what I was meaning but I'm glad you like it. :p Interesting to see it all together again!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Well, it's somewhat different to what I was meaning but I'm glad you like it. Interesting to see it all together again!
You meant more like small blobs than fine mist? That pic was experimenting on the painting rack, I tried a few things there.

For the frame I've use it a little more sparingly. I've contemplated doing this over all the pink sections but not quite sure that's what I want. I'll yank the masking off shortly and see how it looks...