The QUICK question thread.....

smaj

Likes Dirt
Is this true or just a beat up. Serious question
As far as the battery goes, I thought they're more repairable that that. Certainly there are stories of older Teslas in the same condition, where someone's gone and replaced just certain cells in it.

For first responder training, it seems pretty common now (in the US at least) to have a training course for them. I read recently that GM have been providing one.

The Leaf's isolation plug seems in a really bad spot. In the Tesla model 3, it's just under the bonnet.

Second page, section 3, "Main disable method" -- cut the loop, just there for first responders.

The Leaf's manual just says "remove the fuses under the bonnet", but you need to wait 10 minutes for the supercapacitors to discharge.

Maybe the isolation plug is just for when you want to remove the whole battery from the vehicle?

safreek

As far as the battery goes, I thought they're more repairable that that. Certainly there are stories of older Teslas in the same condition, where someone's gone and replaced just certain cells in it.

For first responder training, it seems pretty common now (in the US at least) to have a training course for them. I read recently that GM have been providing one.

The Leaf's isolation plug seems in a really bad spot. In the Tesla model 3, it's just under the bonnet.

Second page, section 3, "Main disable method" -- cut the loop, just there for first responders.

The Leaf's manual just says "remove the fuses under the bonnet", but you need to wait 10 minutes for the supercapacitors to discharge.

Maybe the isolation plug is just for when you want to remove the whole battery from the vehicle?
That's what I thought, I had heard of Tesla's doing partial battery replacement.
I had actually never thought about electric shock after a crash.
Bloody expensive batteries if those quoted prices are correct

smaj

Likes Dirt
That's what I thought, I had heard of Tesla's doing partial battery replacement.
I had actually never thought about electric shock after a crash
Yeah, lots of electricity in these new cars :) I only really started thinking about it when F1 introduced hybrids with big batteries; all of a sudden all the trackside marshalls and mechanics needed to wear gloves, and there are more safety lights on the car to tell them when it's safe to touch.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I still think it is nuts that they use heaps of the 18650 batteries instead of something neater.

I mean, surely there must be a better option than thousands of individual cells. They must have been cheap, accessible and needing a short time to market must have limited those choices. Here you go....... https://circuitdigest.com/article/tesla-model-s-battery-system-an-engineers-perspective

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I still think it is nuts that they use heaps of the 18650 batteries instead of something neater.

I mean, surely there must be a better option than thousands of individual cells. They must have been cheap, accessible and needing a short time to market must have limited those choices. Here you go....... https://circuitdigest.com/article/tesla-model-s-battery-system-an-engineers-perspective
They won't be using them for long. BYD blades will take over very soon.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
They won't be using them for long. BYD blades will take over very soon.
I hope so but how many 'lets just do this for now until something better comers along' solutions end up being adopted :)
Being able to quickly replace a larger cell or groups of cells identified as bad by the battery management system seems like a sensible way ahead.