The Stanton slow build

Winno

Likes Dirt
Sold my very XC Trek Procaliber 9.8SL a while ago and picked up a nice Trek Madone with Zipps, etc.
Got jack of that as I moved right in close to work and it started to gather dust. So sold that too.

The best riding was always in the forest and I got stinging for something new and different. I flirted with the idea of a mid 90’s Kona again (had an 95 Explosif once) but wanted discs and the fancy stuff that makes riding modern bikes a bit more fun.

The thought of something steel stuck and I ended up with this:

A Stanton Slackline 853 welded up in the UK. This one’s dark metallic green in a 16” (S) with the boost rear end. People reckon 853 is pretty nice to make frames out of so I took a punt.

I grabbed a fork too:

I was shopping for a Manitou Mezzer but I’ve had a good run with Rockshox so went with the 140mm Pike.

The Procaliber was a terrific bike but I couldn’t fall in love with SRAM GX at all. So I returned to Shimano. I dropped some $ on XTR 9100 12sp making sure to go long cage to run 1x with a 51T on the back.

This is a pocket money or zero-sum build so it’s not going to happen overnight. Especially as this is likely to be a full Hope UK parts build.

Will keep you posted as it progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sold my very XC Trek Procaliber 9.8SL a while ago and picked up a nice Trek Madone with Zipps, etc.
Got jack of that as I moved right in close to work and it started to gather dust. So sold that too.

The best riding was always in the forest and I got stinging for something new and different. I flirted with the idea of a mid 90’s Kona again (had an 95 Explosif once) but wanted discs and the fancy stuff that makes riding modern bikes a bit more fun.

The thought of something steel stuck and I ended up with this:

A Stanton Slackline 853 welded up in the UK. This one’s dark metallic green in a 16” (S) with the boost rear end. People reckon 853 is pretty nice to make frames out of so I took a punt.

I grabbed a fork too:

I was shopping for a Manitou Mezzer but I’ve had a good run with Rockshox so went with the 140mm Pike.

The Procaliber was a terrific bike but I couldn’t fall in love with SRAM GX at all. So I returned to Shimano. I dropped some $ on XTR 9100 12sp making sure to go long cage to run 1x with a 51T on the back.

This is a pocket money or zero-sum build so it’s not going to happen overnight. Especially as this is likely to be a full Hope UK parts build.

Will keep you posted as it progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's just a frame and fork and it's bloody gorgeous already.

Need to dress that thing in as many silver components as possible IMO.

May the pocket money fairies be kind and we get to see this built up soon!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed on how good this looks. Got to love a decent hardtail!

OP, there's a Raceface turbine stem in silver on sale here which would suit that beautifully. I love Hope too but would be on that for the build.

Picked a wheelset yet?

Winno

Likes Dirt
It's just a frame and fork and it's bloody gorgeous already.

Need to dress that thing in as many silver components as possible IMO.

May the pocket money fairies be kind and we get to see this built up soon!
That’s the goal for sure. It’s not as easy as it sounds though as most good parts are carbon and/or black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winno

Likes Dirt
Agreed on how good this looks. Got to love a decent hardtail!

OP, there's a Raceface turbine stem in silver on sale here which would suit that beautifully. I love Hope too but would be on that for the build.

Picked a wheelset yet?
Hope Pro4 28 hole in silver so far but not sure on rims. Will be a custom build as all pre built wheels with Hope hubs don’t quite tick my boxes.

I looked at Reynolds and was prepared to go all black until I saw the price for their i9 based sets

The Rocky Mountain I had a few bikes ago had the full RF treatment. Good cranks for sure but I’d like to keep to the UK kit theme this time as far as possible. Having said that, seat post and bars will be high polished Ritchey items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I love my Sherpa. Possibly my favourite bike ever. Very similar colour to yours…Misty blue?? Can’t wait to see it built up .

Winno

Likes Dirt
Some parts turned up recently and I decided to build the bike up this morning.

04E05986-2FE3-4957-9058-072F3EB5053F.jpeg

Just waiting on a 51-10 XT 12sp cassette and the front brake. Shimano Au are telling my local shop that next shipment is due 2023.

Looks like a visit to the bay is in order.

Wheels ended up being Mavic XA35 Pro Carbon. I wanted something in silver but these ticked all the other boxes. These also ended up being much lighter at around 1500gr the set.
Fork is Pike Ultimate (140mm)
Drivetrain is XTR (XT cassette)
Brakes are XTR (9120)
Post and stem are Ritchey
Bar is a Nukeproof Horizon UD carbon with NP grips and stumpy Horizon seat.
Tyres are Maxxis Rekon 2.6 front and rear with sealant.

I don’t run a dropper currently. I’m still a bit of an XC guy so run a high rigid for now.

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Some parts turned up recently and I decided to build the bike up this morning.

View attachment 392709
Just waiting on a 51-10 XT 12sp cassette and the front brake. Shimano Au are telling my local shop that next shipment is due 2023.

Looks like a visit to the bay is in order.

Wheels ended up being Mavic XA35 Pro Carbon. I wanted something in silver but everything custom ordered was going to set me back substantially more than these wheels. These also ended up being much lighter at around 1500gr the set. At 80% off retail price, it was a no-brainer really.

Fork is Pike Ultimate (140mm)
Drivetrain is XTR (XT cassette)
Brakes are XTR (9120)
Post and stem are Ritchey
Bar is a Nukeproof Horizon UD carbon with NP grips and stumpy Horizon seat.
Tyres are Maxxis Rekon 2.6 front and rear with sealant.

I don’t run a dropper currently. I’m still a bit of an XC guy so run a high rigid for now.
Bike looks great, cat doesn’t seem impressed though.