Ritchey Outback - Gravel bike with bounce

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
I've been having fun the last few months playing with and exploring the Gravel Bike World. It seems I timed it well with the way the weather here in South East Qld has smashed the trails. I've beeen playing with a Nordest Super Albarda (Think long slack steel framed gravel bike) and a Ritchey Outback - Classic Steel gravel bike with more conservative but also with their own take on geometry. After a couple of months of riding I've settled on the Ritchey and will move the Nordest on.

At 55 years of age,with developing arthritis and a nerve problem in my right hand, comfort is a major consideration. Both bikes are awesome but the one deciding factor in this case is the length of the rear half of the frame. The Ritchey rear end is stretched out to 453 mm, while the Nordest is at a more compact 420 mm. That's a massive 33 mm difference and it really shows in the riding. The Nordest rear wheel is tucked in right behind and partially under the rider (as seems the trend today) while the Ritchey is stretched way out behind the rider, allowing the extra frame flex built into the triple butted tubing to create what I believe is the most comfortable road/gravel/touring bike I've ever ridden.

My ritchey is finished off with a Rockshox XPLR Ruby Race 40mm suspension fork, Sram wireless AXS Shifters, paired with a 1x Sram Eagle cassette and RD. The wheels are DT Swiss GR1600 and not pictured is a recently purchased Rockshox AXS XPLR Dropper post. It's not a mountain bike but is so much fun on green rated single track... damn fast too.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Looks great ! Gravel is a nice way to see the country and keep us off the main roads.

Is the Nordest frame/forks only, looks like the parts are all moved over to the Ritchey ? Size ? Post it up here if you are selling.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Looks great ! Gravel is a nice way to see the country and keep us off the main roads.

Is the Nordest frame/forks only, looks like the parts are all moved over to the Ritchey ? Size ? Post it up here if you are selling.
The Nordest is currently built up with that exact build except it has a flat bar setup with mtb brake levers and axs shifter. I will either sell the nordest as a complete or as a frame and fork with headset. The fork on the Nordest is a beautiful Enve carbon adventure fork. The Nordest Super Albarda really is a beautiful bike.... some describe it as a mountain bikers gravel bike. It has a long reach and a 68 degree head tube (very slack for a gravel bike). If I was younger and my wrist was less painful, I'd be keeping it.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt

That Ritchey looks great!

I’m interested in the Nordest F&F too

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
Nice bike.. I have been watching some youtube vids on the Outback Breakaway, as I'm currently going through the process of getting a work visa to go back to Indonesia working month on month off and toying with the idea of having a bike to take up there. I have 450-470mm rear end on my Ti bike and that's super comfy also.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I really need to stay away from threads like this. I have a spare 650b wheelset (non-boost). And most of a drivetrain.

....can you get shims to turn a 15x100 axle into a 12x100?

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
I really need to stay away from threads like this. I have a spare 650b wheelset (non-boost). And most of a drivetrain.

....can you get shims to turn a 15x100 axle into a 12x100?
Depending on the wheel...just change the endcaps.

The blue Nordest frame and fork I'm going to sell would be perfect for you...it's great with 650b wheels too. :D

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Depending on the wheel...just change the endcaps.

The blue Nordest frame and fork I'm going to sell would be perfect for you...it's great with 650b wheels too. :D
Give a drop-day heads up on here, could be a few here interested.