Derby in Tassi

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Here's 2 pictures I took around the 20/12/21, when we came back around 5/1/22 there were no spaces for us anywhere in Derby so we went to Branxholm, which was no big deal for us as we have spent a lot of time in Derby over the years.

First pic - The caravan was next door to me, the bloke told me he was only there for the night to drop off the van, his missus would be there Boxing day and he would join them for New Year. Dropped off on the 19th/20th Dec.

Second pic - These 2 tents were empty from the 14th Dec till we left on the 22nd Dec.

I didn't take a picture of the biggest laugh, some silly chunt pitched a massive dome tent right over the entrance to the river at the far south-east side of the park (25m further on past the van pic), that blew down on a stormy night around the 19th and got rained on, when we left 3 days later, it was still flat as a pancake and full of water. This blocked anyone using the grassy area beyond the massive hotel sized dome tent.

I hope they enforce the $20 a night in a few months after a trial period as it will stop these selfish chunts taking up space where a interstate/local family comes and rides, eats, drinks, shuttles and spends money in the town. The caravan site is full of tents but half empty with people.

The big problem being, there is no other option in Derby but to use the free sites, if there was, we would book and pay ~$50 a night no worries for a guaranteed site with showers, toilets and amenities.

We no longer have a van but I think its great thing and hope the next step is to mark the sites and charge per site.

My next trip there is in November for a week but staying in accommodation.

ozzybmx

That's for the lawyer e-bike rider types.
We stayed at the NRMA caravan site over xmas, it was around $80 and it was immaculate with great amenities.

The Big4 was $110 a night for a powered site and $80 a night for unpowered.

St Helens is on par with Cradle Mt as the most expensive place to camp on the island.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
We stayed at the NRMA caravan site over xmas, it was around $80 and it was immaculate with great amenities.

St Helens is on par with Cradle Mt as the most expensive place to camp on the island.
Our #vanlyfe free camp, on top of the mount, beside the trailhead fitted my budget.

geekman

Squid

That must be the Xmas rate, we camped at big 4 St. Helens in Feb and was around $40-50 pn. Facilities were fantastic and nice grounds too

geekman

Squid
more the cashed up tradies who have no idea of money anymore in their my-rigs-bigger-than-your-rig. I think they’ve surpassed your average dentist.
We couldn’t believe some of the rigs we saw travelling around Tassie. Every campground the majority of the car/caravan setups would have been $200k+. It did seem like a lot of the crew with young families we spoke to had sold everything to purchase them for 12+ months on the road

ozzybmx

We couldn’t believe some of the rigs we saw travelling around Tassie. Every campground the majority of the car/caravan setups would have been $200k+. It did seem like a lot of the crew with young families we spoke to had sold everything to purchase them for 12+ months on the road
Met a few who had been on the road for months, sold up and hit the road with young kids.
Also met a few regular blokes with expensive setups, one ended up in the same place as us 3 times, his setup was scraping near $200k.

I would hate to be road for that long, it's nice to be away but I like to get back to base and regroup, recharge and reset.

ozzybmx

I can't believe there's folks complaining about $20
That's per camp too, no limit on people, no limit on setup size.

Every where else's base price is for 2 people and then they charge between $5-$20 per extra child or adult.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I can't believe there's folks complaining about $20
Yep, bargain at twice the price and if it stops the crap @ozzybmx provided evidence of above then it's even more worth it.

Re rig set ups: I saw a few top spec Silverados and Rams (hard to f***ing miss) at an MTB event I was at yesterday. Ranger / Amarok / Hilux is just too girly now apparently, you need a pos car you can't actually fit in a built up area. Progress.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Re rig set ups: I saw a few top spec Silverados and Rams (hard to f***ing miss) at an MTB event I was at yesterday. Ranger / Amarok / Hilux is just too girly now apparently, you need a pos car you can't actually fit in a built up area. Progress.
That's because it was a women's event not a girl's event. They're all grown up and want their pickups to match.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Unfortunately because the $20 is voluntary and that there are no set sites, it won't stop those wankers that set up weeks in advance. I know it would cost more to run but I'd prefer that they formalised the sites and enforce the fee. I don't know how the council can actually have a free camp with facilities as there is state legislation that prohibits councils from competing with commercial parks within a 60km radius and that would include St Helens.

Last edited: