What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Finally got to finish the Cascades trail after several swings and misses due to various reasons.

What a great trail! Honestly surprised it doesn't get more love... having said that it's marketed as a family trail and I think that's seriously wrong. It's a strong blue intermediate in my opinion. A similar length to the Blue Tier but with some decent continuous climbs, this is not the shuttled ride you may have thought it was. I saw a dad with his two young sons out yesterday, I hope they enjoyed their day. We set off together from the car park toward the summit and even by that point the younger bloke was ready to throw his chips out the window.
Anyway, the weather was awesome, we had a good run from the summit down then up the second climb which has several false tops just to fuck with you, then the run down to Arnold Gap which is pretty raw at this point. Great fun and much like the rest of this part of the trail, it feels very hand built which is great. The climb up Mt Arnold (?) is starting to hurt at this point, it's punchy but at least it's short, and the run down to the ticket box is bit more machine built and faaasst! Some cool A and B line options here, some decent jumps amongst the berms (that I rode around, natch) and we stopped at the ticket box for some pre-made sangas and a break. The shuttle crew have been leaving water here recently which is very nice of them btw.
OK, finally onto the new section! With max excitement and a raging chubby at riding some new trail we settle in to a decent climb. And yeah, it's decent alright. Only 120m of ascent but it's relentless, switchbacks galore and a little chunk thrown in here and there just to keep things interesting. At this point I'm about to heave out a lung - got my booster shot a couple of days ago and have spent the last 2 days in bed with fevers and chills... hrm, good planning? Anyway, after a couple of false tops we make it to the Lunchroom and head down into Dirt Art machine built bermtown. And it's awesome! Feels a bit like a combo between Beach Babe and Warratah, even the talcum filled top few corners are just an obstacle to overcome and we get in to the solid down stuff. Wow, this is great. Practically a small slice of Maydena just an hour away from home. Not enough superlatives in my vocabulary to describe it, but yeah max fun. Again, not beginner, not family friendly, but if you're comfy on blues and greens at Maydena this stuff is the shit. I had to stop a couple of times in fear of a leg cramp snapping a bone (yeah it's a relentless trip downward) but eventually we get to the bottom of the Dirt Art section and stop to enjoy a little creek which I assume would be a good fill point if you're low on water.
We continue and here it's more like a hand built Buxton - reddish soil, undulating bush track and nice, but after the thrill ride I'd just experienced my emotions were mixed. Maybe that's more a reflection on me, I'm not sure. Anyway, cool bush track riding here, seemingly mostly hand built, familiar to anyone that rides natural bush tracks. Nothing untoward. We get to Lady Talbot Drive and we know we're close to home now.. it's 3.55 and we're thinking we'd better pull a finger out in case the bakery closes soon. This section of trail winds through a flat area, bouncing off the river and back into the bush. Really serene, I love riding through bush hearing a river. Very relaxing. A bit of an unwelcome climb comes next and I'm pissed, but it leads into a really nice flow/jump section that's very well built and awesome fun. OK, legs and ass are feeling second hand, I'm cooked. A bit more traverse and we can see town and hear traffic. Finally, I think, we're done. But no, another small but punchy climb leading into another jump/flow section with some decently big jumps here and we roll out onto the main road opp. the caravan park.

Fucking great track. Bring a little fitness, some medium level skills and the understanding that it's a decent day out. My GPS shit itself not long after the Dirt Art magic so there's around another 8 kays of riding not seen on my map. The shuttle dropped us off at just after 12 at the Lake Mountain car park, and we were packing the bikes at around 4.30. A few stops to eat, a few to talk shit, maybe even one or two to scope A lines and wee a little in fear. Ridable on a hardtail if you're keen but a great trail/enduro style track and one of only a few here in Vic. They've just got to stop marketing it as a family track I think, which is a bummer.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Agreed - saw the same thing on Friday with a number of kids (and parents) clearly well outside their comfort zone in the upper sections post the Ticket Box. Good write up.
The most important thing is to shout "Yiew!" and make it look like you're doing it easy (even if you're faking it) as you go past.

Otherwise no-one will think our hobby is extreme and realise all we're really doing is the bicycle equivelent of self-flagellation, carried out deep in the forest of the nearest hill (or plains in @Cardy George's case)... :p

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Did those little things you can put up with until you get the time to deal with them. Bumped the shock pessure up, fitted a chain guide, bled the brakes, had a heap of bubbles come from under the free stroke screws. Mini-confession, bled the calipers, bled the levers, then went inside and found the barbs/olives, back to the shed to shorten the lines and bled the levers again :rolleyes:.

Also followed the lead of @fjohn860. Replaced the top out bumper with just an o-ring, effectively making the negative chamber HHUUUUUGGGEE. If it feels weird I can put the original back. Won't know until Tuesday.

View attachment 388483

View attachment 388484
Just a word of caution. Depending on the damper / air spring combo you may now be topping your fork out against the rebound rod. This is likely if you are running the fork at max travel (or beyond) or if you have certain combos of fork chassis and rebound rods. For example, with SID forks I have seen 100mm travel rebound rods in 120mm capable chassis such that when you use a 120mm air spring you will only get around 110mm travel because the rebound rod is now limiting max extension.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We get to Lady Talbot Drive and we know we're close to home now.. it's 3.55 and we're thinking we'd better pull a finger out in case the bakery closes soon. This section of trail winds through a flat area, bouncing off the river and back into the bush. Really serene, I love riding through bush hearing a river. Very relaxing. A bit of an unwelcome climb comes next and I'm pissed, but it leads into a really nice flow/jump section that's very well built and awesome fun. OK, legs and ass are feeling second hand, I'm cooked. A bit more traverse and we can see town and hear traffic. Finally, I think, we're done. But no, another small but punchy climb leading into another jump/flow section with some decently big jumps here and we roll out onto the main road opp. the caravan park.
The last part between Lady Talbot Drive and town is a bit of a mood killer, in my opinion, but it's better than a shitfight with cars and shuttle rigs at the river.

I've seen that monster step up on social media a few times before I saw it in the flesh. It is very large.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You might already know, but you can attach your bars vertically on the other side of the frame through the loose strap you have at the bottom there and i think there is one at the top too...
Yeah I found the little frame wrap that has bar loops on it.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Where are you going? Can you take me too?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
You wouldn’t like it, Tassie is a little meh for mtb.

Looking at stuff in Hobart, doubt I’ll get more than half a days ride in if I’m honest.
Still worth taking the bike! Fingers crossed I can squeeze in a run out to Maydena, if not Hobart trails will be fine.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Just a word of caution. Depending on the damper / air spring combo you may now be topping your fork out against the rebound rod. This is likely if you are running the fork at max travel (or beyond) or if you have certain combos of fork chassis and rebound rods. For example, with SID forks I have seen 100mm travel rebound rods in 120mm capable chassis such that when you use a 120mm air spring you will only get around 110mm travel because the rebound rod is now limiting max extension.
Cheers!

It's a 2018 SiD so a pure bred 100mm fork. The only reason there is even an o-ring there is to stop the piston smacking the end stop too hard. Somehow I managed to overpressure the positive spring and it had an extra 10ish mm. Only realised when the fork wouldn't move. Re-pressured and it's all sitting where it normally would.

Was far too wet today get on the dirt. A proper ride assessment will have to wait until Thursday.