Carbonda FM936 carbon all-rounder

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Frame - Carbonda FM936, Size L
Fork - 2020 Fox 36, (Modified) 120mm air-shaft, 44mm offset, Grip damper.
Rear Shock - RockShox Deluxe Ultimate "Nude", 165x40mm Trunnion (3-position, remote actuated)
Handlebars - Spank Oozy Vibracore
Stem - Hope AM/Freeride 50mm 31.8 bar clamp.
Headset - Unknown, Carbonda-supplied (quality looks good, I would order again)
Grips - ODI Elite Pro
Saddle - Ritchey Classic V2
Seatpost - BikeYoke Revive V1, 185mm, 31.6mm
Brakes - Hope Tech E4 with Uberbike Race Matrix pads
Cranks - Shimano XTR M8100 with XTR 32T chainring
Chain - Shimano XT 12sp
Pedals - Chromag Dagga
Rear shifter - Shimano XT SL-M8100 12sp (bar clamp type)
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT RD-M8100 12sp
Cassette - Shimano XT M8100 12sp
Front hub - Hope Pro-4 Boost 32h
Rear hub - Hope Pro-4 Boost 32h, Microspline freehub driver
Front rim - 29" Nextie Premium Enduro 36mm (29mm internal)
Rear rim - 29" Nextie Premium Enduro 36mm (29mm internal)
Spokes - DT Swiss Comp
Front Tyre - Maxxis DHR II 2.4" 3C Exo
Rear Tyre - Maxxis Rekon Race 2.35" Exo
Tubeless Sealant - Stans Tubeless
Total weight - Unknown, but lightish for a trail bike, heavyish for an XC bike...
Extras - Deanodised fork dials, colour-matched brake lever pivot pins, Hope seat clamp with colour-matched clamp bolt, colour-matched brake-rotor screws, Marsh Guard mudguard with black decals to match the "stealth" Slik Graphics fork decals, and hand moulded Sugru chainstay protection.

Since the geo is a bit of a mix-and-match with the oversize fork, it doesn't match the original geo-chart exactly. Head-angle now sits at approx 66°, and seat-tube angle is around 76°. Reach shortens to approx 490mm at 615mm stack. Good all-around numbers IMO.

Attachments

Last edited:

beeb

Righto, so why this bike? Well, it's an idea that's been brewing in the back of my mind for a while. I mostly ride fairly mellow trails, but at reasonable speed (relatively speaking). I most like cornering and pumping trail undulations, so a short-travel bike tackles what I like riding most with ease. But the thing is, until very recently - short travel typically meant old-fashioned geometry, which isn't so good for how I like to ride... I like the safety-net modern geometry affords, and the smooth, confident cornering at speed it allows. So with the rise of (everybody's favourite) "downcountry" bikes, short-travel bikes have been receiving much more progressive geometry over the last year or so. While I can live without the marketing tagline, this is the type of bike I've wanted to add to the stable since I “outgrew” and sold my 5010 a while back. I was chasing that Goldilocks "just right" bike to fit in-between my fully rigid “flat-bar gravel" bike (Highball) and "big bike" (coiled Sentinel).

Realistically in a (COVID-lockdown effected timeframe) I'd really only "just bought" and only put a handful of km’s on my Sentinel at that point, so the thought of dropping another $5000-6500 dollars on another big-name frameset just wasn't happening (or possible). So the idea got parked.

Then @ozzybmx began posting about his lightening regime of his Transition Spur. And the bug bit again, hard. I wanted into the club, but I still didn't have or want to spend big dollars. Then I remembered seeing @Ben78's Ican S3 frameset over in the AliExpress thread. And down the rabbit-hole I went... It turned out NS bikes had designed the base frameset (NS Synonym), but left the front triangle "open mould" (in essence - "not copyrighted"), and only kept their (slightly different) rear triangle proprietary to their frames. Ican had used the same front triangle, but with a different (non flex-stay) rear end. I did send Ican an enquiry, but simply never heard anything back. So I dug deeper. An online search for more info on the Ican found me on the Chinertown (Chinese direct-to-consumer bikes) forums, where I discovered the Carbonda FM936, which used the same NS-bikes designed front triangle, but unlike the Ican - retained a flex-stay rear triangle which saves weight and leaves one less set of bearings to worry about.

Unlike the NS bikes design - which comes in both 100mm and 120mm rear travel variants, Carbonda recommend against fitting the longer stroke shock. For my intentions for this bike, that didn't worry me.

So what about the shock? Well, for a pedal-focused bike intended to be used in a variety of terrain, I wanted something with a climb-switch. I typically use a climb switch on boring/smooth road climbs as it just cuts out the wallowing and makes things psychologically "a bit easier", but being tall and the adjuster levers for the shock being nestled right down near the chainring, I wanted (yes, wanted) to go with a shock with a bar-mounted remote lock-out. I mean there's no point using a lock-out if it takes longer to set it than the (perceived) time it saves you up a hill (nor is it worth risking putting your fingers through the chainring to save 1% of your energy...). Now Trunnion 165x40mm shocks are not uncommon in the XC world, but lets just say that stock wasn't exactly abundant (especially with the ongoing COVID situation globally). I've had several Fox air-shocks in the past and every one of them has leaked air - so I wasn't keen to repeat that spec choice, and most of the options from smaller manufacturers like Manituo, X-fusion, SR Suntour seemed to either be notorious for grenading or impossible to get spares for. So I went hunting something RockShox. Nothing that interested me was available locally (and nothing even coming in until sometime next year...), so it was time to play freight-forwarder roulette. While investigating options, I came across the Scott "Nude" shocks. They're an interesting little jigger- they have the typical Climb (lock-out) - Trail - Descend (open) modes, but the trail mode has an interesting little ace up its sleeve. Not only does it wind the compression up a touch, it also closes off a portion of the air spring chamber inside the shock, which creates a shorter-travel and firmer damped ‘Trail’ setting which (I'm hoping) should be perfect for those choppy or loose climbs where you don't want the bike to wallow, but also don't want things so stiff you loses traction if the wheel breaks contact with the ground.

But now, what about the fork? 120mm max front travel was something of a limiting factor for my choices. I've had Fox 34's in the past and found them 'noodly', Fox 36's or Marzocchi Z1's have a minimum travel of 140mm. Yes, there'd be RockShox or maybe even other options, but it would mean spending more money. As I was already planning of robbing the build-kit from my retro-inspired (and heavily-anodised!) Waltly V3 - I was going to have a Fox 36 spare. Was it worth selling it and buying something new? Maybe, but maybe I'd end up with another underwhelming short-travel fork. So maybe "better the devil you know". So I wondered, what about a 120mm Fox 36? No 120mm 36 airshaft is available from Fox, but how different could they be? I had a spare 140mm airshaft. Checking it over, I realised if I knocked the roll-pin out of the top-cap and re-drilled it lower in the shaft, cut the shaft down 20mm and refit the top-cap it should reduce the travel 20mm as well. Low and behold - it worked! (I did read later that apparently you can swap the 36 air-shaft’s pistons and bump stop parts onto a 34 air-shaft main shaft for the same result also...) Worth noting - despite Fox's claims of different air-shafts to suit different travels (with the inference that the negative spring sizing is tuned to suit), my '19-'20 140mm and 160mm airshaft hardware turned out to be identical, one just had a 20mm longer shaft.

The rest of the build kit is all "known" parts that I've swapped forward as I'm happy with how they've performed on previous builds, though I changed to a Ritchey Classic V2 saddle on this one as it has a bit more of a "ducktail" compared to the Ergons I've run previously. I often found myself sliding back on the Ergons on long, steep climbs, so hopefully this helps hold my posterior stay in place without so much readjustment!

Overall, I'm blown away with the quality of the frame. For a frame (not including shock) that only cost ~$1500 dollars delivered (exchange rates will vary obviously, and various paint options will add additional costs) - it is extremely well made. While longevity remains to be seen (I'm ~95kg kitted up and don't plan on riding this thing gently), there's several people on the Chinertown forums that have definitely put some miles & elevation on theirs. Based off a visual inspection of inside the frame, this frame is a world better than both my carbon Ripmo frames (particularly the first Ripmo frame) with much better carbon lay-up, much less excess/mess inside/stray resin and fibres inside the frame. The "paint finish" also hints at the quality of the carbon, as - well - you can see a lot of the carbon through the "paint". I would say the stock "matte paint" finish is actually more of high-fill undercoat ready for the paint shop. It actually makes for quite an interesting effect though, as sometimes it looks like it's matte black, and other times it looks like it's raw carbon. As this exact frame is marketed under Vitus and several other brand names, I guess it's no surprise it's OEM quality and that they have their frames ready for paint and decals as standard.

For reference - this is a pic from inside the head tube I grabbed prior to assembly (the squiggly line at the front of the head tube is actually raised, not a void like the shadow makes it appear here - it's just from the ‘bladder’ used during moulding):

Overall (based of first impression), I would happily buy again - and I dread seeing them pop up all over the forum now someone's taken the gamble... :p

One final note regarding the remote cable routing, I did have to modify the drive-side cable port cover (and ever-so-slightly file the port in the frame itself) to accept the extra cable to keep everything routed neatly. Fortunately, the brake hose and dropper cable ports were about 4mm apart, and the cable port cover has a nice thick foam "stopper", so once I'd cut the divider tab out the two cables and the brake hose all sat together in there really snugly. A happy coincidence indeed.

Last edited:

beeb

So, ride review time. I've got about 4 decent rides on this thing so far. I wasn't really sure what to expect going in. I knew the geometry, and roughly what the kinematics were - but graphs don't always translate to trail manners - so I was equal parts eager and apprehensive to get this thing on the trails and find out how it rode - and most importantly, to learn if it had any faults or foibles. I guess my expectations were that it would ride somwhere between "acceptably" and "well", but with only 100mm out back that it would prioritise climbing and feel a little lacking in travel on rocky descents. I've ridden a mate's Giant Trance 29er (115mm rear travel) in the past, and it definitely felt a bit like that. It was fast and efficient, and a bit of a magic carpet given the shortish travel, but it was really easy to bottom out over sharper hits or from landing jumps/drops - so I was expecting similar with the Carbonda. Maybe a little more progression in the linkage, but wasn't sure if that would just make it ride rougher over minor trail chatter.

Well, the good news is - I was wrong. This thing does not feel like a 100mm travel bike. In fact, it doesn't even feel like an XC bike.

Even though it's 120f/100r travel, it feels more like a 140f/120r bike while riding. I think a lot of this sensation comes down to the geometry. With the slack head angle (for this travel range) and long reach it makes the bike feel really confident at speed. Atypically, I've kept the bars pretty narrow (~755mm wide) to keep the reactiveness of a short-travel/XC-ish bike, but the head angle allows a more trail-bike-like centered body mass positioning and smooth corner carving, plus having the confidence to stay loose and let the bike dance around under you through (straight-ish) rock gardens. It's such a perk not having to worry you're going to bury the front wheel in some minor hole and get thrown OTB. The only minor struggle I've been having with the amount of travel is in a long curving rockgarden with several steps mid corner (the second main Cressy rock garden for those that know the You Yangs trails). On my 150mm bike I can push the bike "through" the lips of the steps, which gives a bunch of confidence (both of keeping the bike level off the lip, and of finding good grip for the front wheel as it touches down again), but on this it's more of a challenge as the suspension is already fairly far into the travel so pre-loading/not getting bucked on the lips of the step is hard to time well. But that's it - that's my "list" of negatives. One rock garden I've always found awkward, is now slightly more awkward. Boo-hoo.

As for the positives? (Comparing to riding a longer travel bike) Well this thing feels like you've unlocked a cheat code on climbs. It's (mostly carbon fibre) build keeps the weight pretty trim which really helps contribute to it's enthusiastic climbing manner. Even in open mode, the suspension is adequately supportive - but it's more of a Horst-link feel where the support comes from the spring, than say - a DW-link bike, where the support comes from the anti-squat/chain force. I personally much prefer the Horst-like feel this bike has, predominantly because the suspension is much more active when climbing - and doesn't get all kickbacky when tackling square edge rocks, sharp roots or riding up braking bumps. So while it climbs acceptably well with the shock open, it's the other two modes where the bike really comes alive on the ascents. the middle 'Trail' mode is like a subtly modified 'Open' mode. It doesn't feel much different underfoot (or "under saddle" which might be a more relevant metric for most of my climbing) compared to Open mode, but it does subtly alter the balance of the bike. Whereas I like having the rear suspension setup ever-so-slightly-softer than the fork for descending, it can mean suffering through a slightly doughy feeling on climbs (on any bike). This is where I really enjoy the middle 'Trail' mode on this bike. It just subtly removes that imbalance on climbs, and makes the rear of the bike feel balanced to the fork (remembering that your weight bias shifts rearward on climbs due to the incline of the trail, so "balanced" on a climb is actually a significant shift forward it weight distribution terms). This is the mode i have the shock set for 99% of singletrack climbing. I also use it on flatter trails, but have noticed it doesn't work well on trails with lots of rollers or jumps as it can make the fork feel too soft as the suspension response isn't balanced front-to-rear if it’s not pointing uphill. But the real "icing on the cake" for climbing is the lockout mode. It's a strange feeling - the lockout is so stiff (it's a 430lb blow-off compared to a more typical 340lb "trail" oriented shock lockout) in a quick carpark bounce test the bike almost feels like a hardtail once it hits sag point. There is a couple of perks with this compared to riding an actual hardtail though. Firstly, because that 'platform' from the lockout only happens at the sag point of the shock, if you get into some techy/rocky climbs where the back wheel of a hardtail might get bounced, lose traction and spin out (or the rider losing momentum managing the slip) - because the rear suspension can extend back out from the sag point, the wheel still tracks the ground and (at least partial) traction is maintained. On the other extreme, if you're climbing and hit a 'square edge' while seated, the 430lb blow-off circuit just relieves and removes the harsh jolt an actual hardtail would transfer straight up your spine. This is the mode I use the other 1% of the time on singletrack climbs, and luckily having it remote actuated means I can just utilise it for the brief moments I want it, without having to leave it engaged for longer than I want (from reluctance to fumble around for the lever on the shock). This means I can really keep my legs in their happy cadence on sudden rocky pinches knowing I won't have the suspension get bogged down or hung up. It's the kind of thing where if it wasn't on a remote lever, I wouldn't bother with it - but having it all within reach of my left thumb - it's a quick flick to "click'n'climb", and just makes certain segments of trail so much easier. Having it there (feels like it) allows me to preserve some extra energy for later in the ride as I don’t have to dig into that “burst strength” reserve unless I fluff the line.

While I'd already taken it up and down hill on several rides before now, it wasn't until yesterday I got a chance to take it for a decent ride on flatter terrain as well. This kind of weaving/winding JRA singletrack is ironically often what I struggle with most. I often feel a out of balance, or like my body position is wrong or somesuch - but yesterday's ride revealed that this bike has a really comfortable, central body position on flat sections of trail. I even got to (accidentally) experience it's neutral handling manners a couple of times when I unexpectedly hit a few deep patches of soft sand. Typically with my other bikes on these same trails I've tended to feel the front-end (start to) wash out in these scenarios, but on this bike I'd say it was a pretty even affair. In reality, the front was winning the battle for traction if both wheels were slipping and it'd oversteer slightly, but that can be chalked up to the tyre combination of the DHR II up front and Rekon Race (XC semi-slick) out back. A more evenly spec’s tyre combo would've meant a more even two-wheeled drift (at a guess).

Overall, it's proving to be a really easy-to-live-with bike in pretty much all (my*) riding scenarios. I expected to be writing something along the lines of "decent for the price" in this part of the thread given the humble origins of the frame, but it's exceeded "decent" regardless of price bracket. It's a bloody excellent bike. It's got a nimbleness that belies it's 29" wheels - so with cheat-mode climbing, nippy handling and confident descending it's a real jack of all trades - and rather than "master of none", it's more like "master of most", with only chunkier rocks or direction changes through rocks being a challenge. Given I normally assess and review my bikes by thinking about all the things I don't like about them, it took me a while to work out how to write a review for this one given I'm almost entirely happy with it.

(*I'm not a double-black diamond type of rider. Australian "black diamond" trails are about my comfort zone, so blue trails with milder rock gardens and small jumps is about my limit. Hence me not needing "all the travel" of a big bike all the time, despite the fact they can still be a bunch of fun...)

A small side note for those looking at the bike with more pureblood XC intentions: how mine is setup with the 120mm fork and resultant trail-focused geometry - the front-end does wander quite a bit on steep climbs with loose gravel/fine gravel over hardpack. So while the back-end is a very capable ascender, if you're primarily focused on the ups, I'd consider sizing down a frame size (maybe even two sizes if you really like traditional XC geo) and running a 100mm fork to steepen things up a bit and get a bit more weight on the front wheel. For an all mountain/trail bike though, the 120mm fork is definitely the way to go, as it really lets you get off the brakes and carry some silly speed on the descents.

TL;DR. It's a ripper. Would buy again, 100% (although not in matte-black! It's a dust magnet and looks horrible when dirty! :p)

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
My first thought was Horst Link, but no..... what is it?

Damn fine looking bicycle regardless, with just the right amount of anodizing. Looks very fun, I like short travel bikes with big forks.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your grey / red builds lately have been on point mate. Looks like a fun machine. Interested to hear the ride report.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
View attachment 382570

View attachment 382571

View attachment 382572

View attachment 382573

Frame - Carbonda FM936, Size L
Fork - 2020 Fox 36, (Modified) 120mm air-shaft, 44mm offset, Grip damper.
Rear Shock - RockShox Deluxe Ultimate "Nude", 165x40mm Trunnion (3-position, remote actuated)
Handlebars - Spank Oozy Vibracore
Stem - Hope AM/Freeride 50mm 31.8 bar clamp.
Headset - Unknown, Carbonda-supplied (quality looks good, I would order again)
Grips - ODI Elite Pro
Saddle - Ritchey Classic V2
Seatpost - BikeYoke Revive V1, 185mm, 31.6mm
Brakes - Hope Tech E4 with Uberbike Race Matrix pads
Cranks - Shimano XTR M8100 with XTR 32T chainring
Chain - Shimano XT 12sp
Pedals - Chromag Dagga
Rear shifter - Shimano XT SL-M8100 12sp (bar clamp type)
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT RD-M8100 12sp
Cassette - Shimano XT M8100 12sp
Front hub - Hope Pro-4 Boost 32h
Rear hub - Hope Pro-4 Boost 32h, Microspline freehub driver
Front rim - 29" Nextie Premium Enduro 36mm (29mm internal)
Rear rim - 29" Nextie Premium Enduro 36mm (29mm internal)
Spokes - DT Swiss Comp
Front Tyre - Maxxis DHR II 2.4" 3C Exo
Rear Tyre - Maxxis Rekon Race 2.35" Exo
Tubeless Sealant - Stans Tubeless
Total weight - Unknown, but lightish for a trail bike, heavyish for an XC bike...
Extras - Deanodised fork dials, colour-matched brake lever pivot pins, Hope seat clamp with colour-matched clamp bolt, colour-matched brake-rotor screws, Marsh Guard mudguard with black decals to match the "stealth" Slik Graphics fork decals, and hand moulded Sugru chainstay protection.
It’s fabulous.

Can I ask what valve type the rims are drilled for? :p

beeb

Updated shpiel above. :)

Nice. How much was the frame? Manufacturing lead time? Anything lost in translation?
Frame was ~$1500 shipped (without shock). Frame was in stock when I ordered, took them a few days to get it into the post, a few days from China to Aus, then AusPost lost it 5km from the delivety address for about 3 weeks.

I didn't have any issues with communications with Carbonda (I e-mailed with Wing). In terms of the frame itself, there's not really a lot of options past picking your frame-size and BB type.

Colour options are many and varied, but I ended up just going with the stock "matte UD" to save time and money. If you want the frame custom painted they're happy to assist, but I got the impression there'd be several weeks wait for the frame to get into the booth.

Last edited:

beeb

Damn fine looking bicycle regardless, with just the right amount of anodizing. Looks very fun, I like short travel bikes with big forks.
Your grey / red builds lately have been on point mate. Looks like a fun machine. Interested to hear the ride report.
Cheers gents, pretty darn happy with how it turned out. It ended up better than I expected to be honest! :)

And yeah, tried to hit that balance between light and stout - should be fun!

Curious on actual weight tho.
Anyone got a set of scales locally? I'm actually mildly curious the difference in weights between my bikes, but have no way of measuring them!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Nice work @beeb - agree with the quality of Ibis. Nice bikes but paint and internals could be better given the price but they hold together and ride very nicely!

Look forward to your ride report.

beeb

Very nice indeed !

Ride report later today ?
Thanks mate, not bad for a budget Spur! :p

Not riding today, but might take it for a brief spin tomorrow morning. I will save the ride report for once I've spent a bit of time on it. Initial impressions are good though, no obvious quirks, must have a bit progression in the linkage as I can't bottom it out even bunny-hopping it and then pumping it into the ground on landing. Luckily the front-rear balance seems good, which is my main focus.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Where did you find the info on the colour options? Can't find them on the page, were they made available after you made the initial inquiry?