The youtube and google video thread (MTB and non-MTB vids)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
It is a tricky one for councils in that situation as they are shit scared of litigation.
What the council should do is be proactive and work to provide an official public jump/trail area for these kids to go. Heaps of councils are waking up to this here in Tassie. It's no different to the playgrounds and skate parks the they have been doing for years. The only thing that will be an issue is the kids being able to just build their own stuff, as this can be problematic. There's an area of private land near where I live where people have been building trails for years and this is a good place for the kids to build all their sketchy pallet jumps and the like, the only issue maybe that the owner of the land may be held responsible if someone one day decides to sue for and injury.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
shame really. is there no potential for a liability form an injury sustained at a skatepark or playground?
I remember talking to a friend who works for council a few years back about this, in NSW at least there is legislation that indemnifies council and sporting organisations against liability so long as the facility is kept in reasonable condition, I guess the trick is that skateparks and playgrounds have plenty of precedent around what could be considered reasonably maintained.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
I remember talking to a friend who works for council a few years back about this, in NSW at least there is legislation that indemnifies council and sporting organisations against liability so long as the facility is kept in reasonable condition, I guess the trick is that skateparks and playgrounds have plenty of precedent around what could be considered reasonably maintained.
Sounds like they can't even send in a team once-in-a-while to clean up the rubbish, how are they going to maintain dirt jumps?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Sounds like they can't even send in a team once-in-a-while to clean up the rubbish, how are they going to maintain dirt jumps?
You're right and I think that it's more of a cop out because they just don't want these types of facilities, obviously the councils responsible for Bare Creek and Derby have managed to make it work.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
With Australia being one of the few countries in the world with MHL and enforcing it, I find it strange that these blokes are too cool to wear a helmet in non MHL countries when doing stuff like that.

I see it with the young boys now, none of them want to wear gloves.

Repeatedly explained to mine that if you f%#k your hands up on the trail, slicing tendons open on rAdelaide shale, kiss goodbye to working with your hands for a living or maybe even riding again.

They palmed me off a few times with the 'forgot' story.

So I dropped the 'boomer clause'... if I catch you riding with no gloves, you lose the bike for 1 week and will be scratched from the next race :D