COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
According to Dr Swan on the coronacast I listen to, protection levels are similar if you've been infected vs if you've had the jab. Difference is that in order to get that protection the Vax is a much, much safer option.

I'd like to know if Vax + milder infection ends up being similar to Vax + booster (and all variations of this). Problem is that you need infections and properly set up study's and quantities of both and time. I'm not changing my mind on getting vaxxed quickly while I wait to hear what's the best way to statistically get the best protection.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
According to Dr Swan on the coronacast I listen to, protection levels are similar if you've been infected vs if you've had the jab. Difference is that in order to get that protection the Vax is a much, much safer option.

I'd like to know if Vax + milder infection ends up being similar to Vax + booster (and all variations of this). Problem is that you need infections and properly set up study's and quantities of both and time. I'm not changing my mind on getting vaxxed quickly while I wait to hear what's the best way to statistically get the best protection.

Yeah, that’s roughly what I read; vax v natural antibodies similar, but natural antibodies + vax is better again.

Just curious whether looking to the UK as an example might be setting us up to fail, and we might need a higher % vaxxed to get the same result.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My customer suffered from long Covid for 6 months and almost lost his business because of it.

He'd have to have a lie down after a half hour meeting, forgot stuff, felt like shit.

Yeah no thanks.
6 odd years back I had just set my own business up and got caught a proper whack of real flu.. Sick as shit for 2 weeks then felt completely exhausted walking to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee for another couple of weeks.. Was 6 weeks before i could even think of riding a bike on a path for a couple of flat km.. Then about 3 months before i could do a 5km mtb ride.. The virus also fired up some long term underlying conditions i had which made things even worse..
I have no doubt your mate had long covid that made his life shit, but it’s not unique..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I remember reading something similar. I can't recall the exact details, but something along the lines of the immune system produces a different type of antibody when exposed to the virus to what it does in response to a vaccine. So basically someone who's previously had it has an extra line of defence against re-infection. Still not total immunity, but a bit closer.
Infection induced immunity is the best you can get.. But.. you have to chance your arm that you will get covid without ending up in hospital and clogging the the health system.. From my understanding of reading the scientific stuff, catching covid while vaccinated gives you the best of both worlds.. You don’t end up on a ventilator and you get “natural” immunity.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
My partner already did the long term chronic fatigue thing following a Parvo virus episode a decade ago, and she has zero interest in a repeat of that....

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I remember reading something similar. I can't recall the exact details, but something along the lines of the immune system produces a different type of antibody when exposed to the virus to what it does in response to a vaccine. So basically someone who's previously had it has an extra line of defence against re-infection. Still not total immunity, but a bit closer.
no has to be the same antibody -otherwise vaccine wouldn’t work, you get a stronger immune response as your body has the whole virus -and for a slightly other period of time, also cos the vaccine is either weakened/inactivated or in the case of pfizer the instructions to make the Ab. with actual virus you will get more of certain Ab types -eg IgM -but this has no impact for your long lasting immunity anyway, i see some states have not caught on and don’t seem to register previous infection as same as being vaccinated, which is ridiculous

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Woohoo, go Victoria!!!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Woohoo, go Victoria!!!

In the past few weeks, numbers have increased in Victoria largely because of household-to-household contact.

Simply put, it is because people are not abiding by the rules.

Mixed feelings about this. Several weeks ago I would've been all angry about people disobeying clear instructions, but now.... meh.