Forbidden Dreadnought

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Serious question for those of your with over the shoulder boulder holder drivetrains. How are you managing the chain length? Multiple joiners? Special chains? One quick join and one 1920s pin? I was under the impression that multiple quick joiners were frowned upon but happy to be schooled...
I'm running two connectors, one full Sram chain and extra links for a total of 132 (I got bored and counted them).

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I used a Box chain which is/was available in 126 links for 11 speed.

Have been out of stock for a while now though.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I searched high and low for a 126 link chain in 11sp. No joy. ze Germans had some but geoblocking.
Ended up with 2 joiners. No big deal. Was just my ocd that was offended.
Pushys recently sent me an email saying that they have Shimano 126l 11sp chains back in stock but don’t care enough now to bother with.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
126 link chain plus about 4 additional links and I'm running 30/50 gearing.

Having seen both frames I can also confirm the Highlander has more resistance at the idler wheel fresh out of the box than the Dreadnought, but that resistance disappears after a ride or two.

Its simple and easy to remove the seals causing it on the Highlander and they've recommended it for Australia given it was designed for Scottish conditions.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

Now I've had a bit of time riding this on terrain that actually (kinda) warrants it, I've formed some additional opinions and sharing is caring.

Firstly, if you're a "hit stuff while threatening the sound barrier and hope it works out" you'll love one of these. At pace it just disdainfully smothers anything in front of it with total nonchalance. Unfortunately, I get scared and want to slow down, at which point some issues can creep in. The obvious solution is to go look up some MTB skills training and git gud, but this is the internet so obvs something else is at fault. Obviously trying to brake through technical features is a solid no, but even wiping off (too much) speed before hitting a technical section was resulting in a grumpy, clunky ride. The solution was to hunker down for some solid nerding with suspension settings, actually weighing myself properly (turns out I'd been overestimating my riding weight by a fair chonk) and doing some tinkering.

Currently, it's feeling pretty good. Rebound settings (particularly on the shock) are pretty sensitive, with even a couple of clicks either way delivering tangible changes to the bike's behaviour. Now set at something approximating my riding weight (this may belong in another thread) the bike feels much more supple and less like an irascible jackhammer when I f*** up and ride stuff too slowly. These changes have had no noticeable impact to the bike's performance either (i.e. not crashing through travel or bottoming out). Have also dropped tyre pressures because I can (now 17/18psi F/R).

Climbing remains a highlight, especially anything technical. Just leave the shock open and pedal. Or put it in whatever setting you want and pedal. Doesn't appear to matter. Tackling narrow switchbacks (never a favourite) is surprisingly easy too. I may never make assumptions about a bike based on its geometry chart again* Cornering and performance on mellower terrain are still excellent too.

TL/DR: bike great

*lies. I will.

Last edited:

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Awesome stuff, curious about the push shock and if you think it is worth it for this bike? So far most shops have said don't put a coil on it as it becomes dead feeling but I can only assume they just didn't have it configured correctly. Did you run it with air at all before or did you order it with the Push at the same time?

Pretty sure you have solidified my choice of going one of these bad boys if I can get one

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Awesome stuff, curious about the push shock and if you think it is worth it for this bike? So far most shops have said don't put a coil on it as it becomes dead feeling but I can only assume they just didn't have it configured correctly. Did you run it with air at all before or did you order it with the Push at the same time?
Yeah I can only assume they've not set them up properly because the bike still feels really lively and responsive for what it is - like the heft is still there but only noticeable with direction changes at speed.

I was intending to get one with an X2 but my LBS had a frame with a Push arrive in the first batch for a very tempting price. I've had Elevensixes on other bikes and loved them, so it was an easy arm twist. However if only frames with X2s are available I'd be happy to go with that and then maaaaybe upgrade down the line if you want to?

Dangals

Likes Dirt
However if only frames with X2s are available I'd be happy to go with that and then maaaaybe upgrade down the line if you want to?
Cheers for the info - All dealers I have asked indicate they would come with X2s so will likely do this if I can snag one....

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Too common (sorry Asinine). How can you possibly follow up a Ti Stanton with a box bike available at Summit cycles?
I see you on a machined alloy HP. Just do it. We’ll all be very disappointed in you if you don’t. ;)
It's comforting knowing you are always in the background encouraging me to buy what you would like :D just sell the Deviate already and buy one! Then you can tell me what it's like ;)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Any updates on the Dreadnought? Loving it or not so much?
While I haven't ridden it as much as I'd have liked recently - was meant to take it out this weekend for the last hurrah of shuttles at Cascades etc. but I stacked it (on a different bike) last weekend and recovery has been slooow. Anyway, I'd still recommend one as it hides its mass and size superbly well and manages to be fun and engaging regardless of what you're doing with it. Given you've got a Kenevo as well there might be a bit of crossover? But it depends what you use that for I guess and what you want your new bike to do that it and the Stanton couldn't, if that makes sense(?)
Too common (sorry Asinine).
Remind me of the ratio of Highlanders to Dreadnoughts in this forum again? ;)

Wait, shit I'm potentially talking someone out of getting an Actofive. @kten get an Actofive.

Attachments

Last edited:

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
View attachment 388924

While I haven't ridden it as much as I'd have liked recently - was meant to take it out this weekend for the last hurrah of shuttles at Cascades etc. but I stacked it (on a different bike) last weekend and recovery has been slooow. Anyway, I'd still recommend one as it hides its mass and size superbly well and manages to be fun and engaging regardless of what you're doing with it. Given you've got a Kenevo as well there might be a bit of crossover? But it depends what you use that for I guess and what you want your new bike to do that it and the Stanton couldn't, if that makes sense(?)

Remind me of the ratio of Highlanders to Dreadnoughts in this forum again? ;)

Wait, shit I'm potentially talking someone out of getting an Actofive. @kten get an Actofive.
Thanks.

and stop it