over vs under-biked.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Never going to have the perfect bike for all situations, so as long as you can ride everything you want to ride on the bike you have, who cares.

Since moving to Melb and getting back into MTB I've ridden the same trails from XC to DH tracks on 125mm 27.5, 170mm 27.5, 140mm 29, and now 130mm 29. All fun and all fast in different ways/different places.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm generally quite vocal on the fact most people are overbiked to compensate for lack of skill.
I'm also big on the fact your bike should cater for the majority of your riding, rather than that one shuttle day you do every 2 years.

If you are out there enjoying riding and not being a dick to others, ride what you please.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Over biked/Under biked is in your own head. If you are having fun on XC trails that could be ridden happily on a 100mm 70° HA XC bike... on your 160mm enduro bike and not wishing for something else, your are doing it right.

Every bike will hold you back, over/under biked is only when it starts to annoys you.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Over biked/Under biked is in your own head. If you are having fun on XC trails that could be ridden happily on a 100mm 70° HA XC bike... on your 160mm enduro bike and not wishing for something else, your are doing it right.

Every bike will hold you back, over/under biked is only when it starts to annoys you.
Yes, that's kind of my thoughts too. You should have the bike that you enjoy most, unless you are seriously into racing, then you may need to pick the bike that suits what you are riding more than how you enjoy it.
If you are on a bike, and because of the type of bike it is (be it under-biked or over-biked) and you hate riding, you are on the wrong bike.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Potentially a subject for another thread but I've found in my years of demo bikes, stealing trying mate's bikes and buying my own stuff that a circa 130-140mm 29er (yes @moorey really) is the most versatile choice. Never felt over or under biked with any of the ones I've had a go on, regardless of terrain (provided it's got a reasonably beefy fork).

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, that's kind of my thoughts too. You should have the bike that you enjoy most, unless you are seriously into racing, then you may need to pick the bike that suits what you are riding more than how you enjoy it.
If you are on a bike, and because of the type of bike it is (be it under-biked or over-biked) and you hate riding, you are on the wrong bike.
Strava is racing right?

Saw a dude riding a DH rig around Lysterfield once, kudos to him, that would have been hard work!

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I still ride a hardtail as it makes a lot more trails a lot more fun without having to go at warp. Crashes at warp speed just do so a lot more damage to me these days.

Reactions: PJO

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
My finances solve the situation for me of whether to be over or underbiked.
Me being a tight arse and procrastinating too much prevents me from having a bike for every occasion. My 2015 Norco Sight is now my only weapon of choice. That may change when the whole bike scarcity craziness calms down a bit.