Random info - Not covid related

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This caught my eye - a 'small brewer bought out by a big corporate who is willing to invest $50 million dollars into a brewhouse
Pirate Life used the same excuse when they were bought out a few years ago...

Hard to tell whether it is genuinely difficult to expand into the heavy league without the big end of town providing some support or the owners had just had enough, fancied a pay day and recycled a vaguely plausible reason.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
take the pay day every time. the fun is in starting something new. having the finances to do it without risking living in a cardboard box is nice
For sure. Often you're damned if you do (take the money, be a "sell out") and damned if you don't (can't expand without significant financial risk).

I worked for a microbrewery a while back, at it's most productive there were 3 full time and numerous casual staff. Now it's back to a one man show with occasional casual staff, and the owner is happy with this.

Every situation and reason is different and I think Kirkegaard might be reading too much into it. Sure, Stone & Wood look pretty hypocritical now, but life goes on and there are plenty more independent breweries out there to support. Or you could look at it as supporting local jobs. Whilst the profits go elsewhere, the brewery will remain so I imagine (hope) most employees would retain their positions.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
People who get upset at other for selling our are just jelly they're not the ones with 50 million squids in their back pocket. Fuck em. If you put the effort in to make it to that place, you've earned the right to do whatever the fuck you want.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Stone and Wood is already a very big selling beer, easily my best seller (when we're open!).

Still take the money...it's too much to say no to. Many many many many many have before them.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Pirate Life used the same excuse when they were bought out a few years ago...

Hard to tell whether it is genuinely difficult to expand into the heavy league without the big end of town providing some support or the owners had just had enough, fancied a pay day and recycled a vaguely plausible reason.
Brewing is very capital intensive - you need deep pockets to start a brewery that is large enough to be commercially viable, and a lot more cash to scale up.

S&W is a ‘victim’ of it’s own success IMO. The business had probably grown to the point where it wasn’t about the beer any more, and more about growing pains, corporate overheads and cash flow. Little Creatures, Pirate Life, Four Pines, Balter etc. have all gone the same way.

The market for mainstream beers like VB, XXXX, Tooheys New and so on is also on the decline, as younger drinkers choose boutique beers, other types of alcohol, or abstinence. The big players need to replace that shrinking revenue stream and microbreweries are fair game.

I’d rather see them bought by a beverage company like Lion than some private equity player that’s simply in it to sweat money out of the brand.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Stone and Wood is already a very big selling beer, easily my best seller (when we're open!).
Yeah, I agree. I assumed they’d been bought out by a major years ago given their scale and distribution.

Good one the owners for building the business to that value. Off to the Yeti eeeb shop right now I assume.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And i was just talking to a farmer in NZ about this effect , he has a kiwi fruit , Beef and sheep thing , its a bit is a talking point there - as it has been raining a lot near Tauronga / Bay of Plenty - historically more than usual .

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Interesting article.

I have never liked DLS, and I dislike it more now that I have small kids.
Personally, I'd be happy if it was abolished.
Dons flame suit
I'm the opposite. Most of my working life I've started early and really value the extra daylight. The hours I'm working right now means in the middle of winter I start before sunrise and finish after sunset. If I don't go outside for my half hour lunch break I don't see the sun for 6 days

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think daylight savings should be nationalised and 365 days per year and Australia should be unified onto one time zone! Everybody west of the great divide can just suck it up and have their prehistoric lifestyles dragged into the future! Or as we call it...the present.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I think daylight savings should be nationalised and 365 days per year and Australia should be unified onto one time zone! Everybody west of the great divide can just suck it up and have their prehistoric lifestyles dragged into the future! Or as we call it...the present.
WA says no.

Freediver

I can go full Karen

Interesting article.

I have never liked DLS, and I dislike it more now that I have small kids.
Personally, I'd be happy if it was abolished.
Dons flame suit
Do you really want your kids waking up at dawn when it's at 4 am. I think a lot of parents blame the problems they have with kids that are because of the longer day on DLS.
Me, I love evening rides and standing around the barbie with a beer and enough light to cook.