COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
Anyone here thinking about getting their kids vaxxed or not ???

They are now doing 12-16yr olds here in SA... and probably everywhere else.

Me and the shuttle bunny are fully vaxxed and she said she was going to look at booking them in for theirs tomorrow... I was hold on a minute, lets see how this plays out for a while.
They are 15 & 16, fit as fiddles with no underlying health problems and could probably get covid without even having a symptom... or maybe not.

Anyone else a bit hesitant to get their 12- 16yr old kids jabbed ?
Not in the slightest. Getting 13 and 15yo in ASAP.

stirk

Burner
I haven't thought about it until she said tonight about 7pm, might need a day or two to think about it.

That's why I asked here.
My kids will get vaccinated when available. I think SARS viruses have been around for awhile and while each variant is different the doctors have been developing vaccine's for a while. I trust they know what they are doing. Low complication rates should give you some level of confidence.

I recall shitting my pants as my then baby kids got their MMR vaccine wondering if something bad would happen. At the end of the day it's a choice based on trust the medical professionals know what they are doing and are continuing to improve knowledge and practice.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Tried multiple times to get mine booked today, lines were flooded, website was down. It's a serious hassle, but ours will be vaxxed as soon as possible.

It's been approved for 12-16, any risks are well outweighed by covid risks. Given the push to throw kids back into classrooms I think you'd be mad to hold off if they're eligible

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
@ozzybmx, right about now I wish my kids were in the eligible age bracket to get vaxxed.

In my lay-person opinion, I don't think a 15-16 year old is too physiologically different to an adult. So any side effects should be known, run-of-the-mill immune response to a vaccine.

If your concerns are due to the speed at which the vaccines have been developed, they were fast tracked through the normally snail paced bureaucracy (placed at the top of the pile, so to speak). All of the regular checks and studies were done to ensure safety, to the best of the scientists' knowledge.

Ultimately, the choice is with you and your family. (I know I'm stating the obvious here)

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Me and the shuttle bunny are fully vaxxed and she said she was going to look at booking them in for theirs tomorrow... I was hold on a minute, lets see how this plays out for a while.
They are 15 & 16, fit as fiddles with no underlying health problems and could probably get covid without even having a symptom... or maybe not.

Yes, a little for my healthy 14 year old son.. I have read enough from the experts in this field to understand vaxxing healthy kids has marginal health benefits for them (see the UK decision).. Atagi came to different advice as they consider other factors than just individual health ie transmission..
The risks of covid to him is very very low only marginally higher than coping the bad side effects.. While supply is low the Gov would be better off getting jabs into those hesitant boomers that will fill the hospitals than worrying about the healthy 12-16 year olds..

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yes, a little for my healthy 14 year old son.. I have read enough from the experts in this field to understand vaxxing healthy kids has marginal health benefits for them (see the UK decision).. Atagi came to different advice as they consider other factors than just individual health ie transmission..
The risks of covid to him is very very low only marginally higher than coping the bad side effects.. While supply is low the Gov would be better off getting jabs into those hesitant boomers that will fill the hospitals than worrying about the 12-16 year olds..
Boomers have had more than enough opportunity, and can still book astra pretty much any time they like. It's everyone waiting for a shot at Pfizer that's holding up the line.

Government could definitely do more to help their reservations but I don't see why kids vaccinations should wait for that to work. If they even decide to try. They targetted the right people first and worked down the line as best they could with the available preferred vaccine. Rollout should have been able to be more drawn out, I'm not convinced we have the luxury of time anymore though.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The UK's CMOs have actually just recommended that 12-15yr olds get 1 Pfizer, the same as what 16 and 17yr olds are getting now.

It's will now be up to the ministers of the 4 Nations to agree on it before it gets rolled out.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Get them done @ozzybmx, you’d never forgive yourself if one of your kids ends up in ICU with the rona. Sure, the odds are very low, but the odds of a reaction to Pfizer are a lot lower. Consider the scenario that one of your kids is over 16 and the other is not. Surely you’d want them both vaccinated?

My 16yo daughter is fully Pfizered and my 14yo lad is the only one left in the family not to be jabbed and it worries me that the shitshow in NSW is only a truck driver away from us. His first shot is this weekend.

On a more practical front, if fully vaccinated folk are going to have more freedoms as we “open up”, your boys might need to be jabbed before they can travel to somewhere like Tassie for a riding trip.

PJO

in me vL comy

Nope.
My 16 year old is the same fit healthy etc...
He got Phizered on Sunday morning, told him to take it easy for a day, which he did, but he is out rowing training this morning.
He's been vaccinated for everything else available why is this any different.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The UK's CMOs have actually just recommended that 12-15yr olds get 1 Pfizer, the same as what 16 and 17yr olds are getting now.

It's will now be up to the ministers of the 4 Nations to agree on it before it gets rolled out.
The second mrna shot is when the majority of small adverse reactions happen.. Seems the UK is trying to find a balance until more data comes in..

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
My 16 year old daughter just got here first Pfizer yesterday. They can get it a school which is great as it takes away the hassle of making appointments, time off school and time off work to get them there.

bear the bear

Is a real bear

The boy is booked in for 4th October (he is 13)

stoff

Likes Dirt
We are hoping that our six year old doesn't get discharged by her immunologist so if it opens up to the 5-11 group who are being trialled now she is front of the queue. Ideally we would have the 4yo vaxxed too, but at least we know that of we are all vaxxed, we are doing the best we can to protect her despite her low risk of serious illness. Hospitalisations in Vic yesterday or the day before were 11% one dose, 89% no dose and 0% two dose.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It took a whole lot of time finding somewhere which actually has the pfizzer before mid November but managed to book my 14yo in for number 1 in a couple of weeks. Was hoping to get both done before term 4 but there’s clearly still a big supply problem.
That’s my big win for the week