The Yeti ASR Carbon is dead. Long live the Yeti SB100.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
While it's not ideal that you've had issues with this frame, gotta give them credit for the no fuss replacement warranty process. I really don't know if I'd rather have a bike that lasts longer but is refused warranty (or a total ball-ache to get replaced), or a bike that breaks occasionally (non-catastrophicly) but is a no-fuss replacement in a quick timeframe.
That's what should happen when you spend big money on something. Some decent percentage of that huge price is customer service.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
From memory your annual kms are about what I'd turn over in a decade too, which will mean you'd be much more likely to encounter issues than a more "casual" rider like myself. :p
Ha! This frame has had a pretty hard life, 4200km in 10 months, including a weekend bombing Thredbo and being VERY underbiked for some Maydena shuttles!

Talking to the LBS Yeti dealer recently they said they have around a 4-5% warranty rate on Yeti frames. I guess that means either 1) I'm really unlucky 2) dentists don't ride their bikes very hard or 3) most people sell their bikes every few years and the second owners can't claim a warranty.

I have been investigating some other brands recently, although none of them currently have any stock. If I do try something else I'll be super interested to see if the same thing happens with other brands.

k3n!f

So the frame now has 7000km on it and I'm really enjoying riding it. I am blown away by the ability to ride Maydena shuttles one week, then ride a 50km or 100km race the next and enjoy both experiences.

After my ride at Maydena I did notice this for the first time. Previously it has been very obvious when there has been a crack but I'm not sure what to make of this. It is running longitudinally down the upper inner side of the non-driveside chain stay. I would have thought this would be a very unusual place for a frame to crack, although it is a Yeti. Likewise it would be an odd place to get a longitudinal scratch and it doesn't really look like other scratches on the bike.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
View attachment 388150

So the frame now has 7000km on it and I'm really enjoying riding it. I am blown away but the ability to ride Maydena shuttles one week, then ride a 50km or 100km race the next and enjoy both experiences.

After my ride at Maydena I did notice this for the first time. Previously it has been very obvious when there has been a crack but I'm not sure what to make of this. It is running longitudinally down the upper inner side of the non-driveside chain stay. I would have thought this would be a very unusual place for a frame to crack, although it is a Yeti. Likewise it would be an odd place to get a longitudinal scratch and it doesn't really look like other scratches on the bike.

Thoughts?
100mm travel lightweight XC frame says "enough already!".

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Just because it can doesn't mean you should.

This bikes (and pilots) ability to be thrown around Maydena/Thredbo is very impressive.
Yeah, full credit to @k3n!f for sending it down Maydena over multiple laps, but it's just not what the bike's intended for. Something a little sturdier/less stressed might be a better option. Transistion Spur or something similar?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Yeah, full credit to @k3n!f for sending it down Maydena over multiple laps, but it's just not what the bike's intended for. Something a little sturdier/less stressed might be a better option. Transistion Spur or something similar?
Yeah, that's what I was saying, pretty sure I've seen clips from Buller as well thinking about it (although that may have been an earlier one)

k3n!f

Don't worry everyone, I hear you! This definitely wouldn't be my first pick for a bike to ride down Maydena, but 98% of the riding I do is XC with the occasional endurance race, so this is the best bike for most of the time.

When my other bike gets built up the SB100 will be semi retired. I might hold off on any warranty claim until they update their lineup. The SB100 seemed to be a few years ahead of its time and received great reviews, the update to the SB115 wasn't particularly positive in comparison.

k3n!f

I have decided that there is only one plausible solution to a cracking frame and brakes which need bleeding every month. As such, I was given no choice and have ordered some Trickstuff Piccola brakes.

In 12-15 months when my order ships, future me will be very happy with past me, and this gives current me a year to save the considerable price. They have a very interesting ordering process, whereby you don't have to pay a cent to order them and be placed on the waiting list. I assume that when they contact me in a year, if I no longer require them I just cancel the order.
Holy shit, I had forgotten that past me had done this. I've just been contacted today by Trickstuff to say my brakes are ready 19 months after I ordered them, and they are charging the price from when I ordered them in 2021.

I don't really need them, but I really really really want them....

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Holy shit, I had forgotten that past me had done this. I've just been contacted today by Trickstuff to say my brakes are ready 19 months after I ordered them, and they are charging the price from when I ordered them in 2021.

I don't really need them, but I really really really want them....
So do you have the tracking number?