BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Ball mass is about the steering and suspension geometry of the tow vehicle.

Exceeding the maximum ball mass rating, in either direction + or - and you will introduce sway and yaw to both the tow vehicle and load, ultimately introducing yourself to being jacknifed, upsidedown, in a table drain, once you hit crusing speed. It is not the strength rating of the hitch itself.

it's a nice bridge...
That of course makes sense.

rstim

Likes Dirt
For those with a single trail rack, how many have gotten a new hitch from the recall?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haven't received mine yet, got an email update on the 6th of May but have heard nothing since.
Not worried I'm sure Mitch will send me one when it's available and my track had seen no use for a few months due to number 3's arrival.

moorey

call me Mia
Haven't received mine yet, got an email update on the 6th of May but have heard nothing since.
Not worried I'm sure Mitch will send me one when it's available and my track had seen no use for a few months due to number 3's arrival.
Don't be shy about reminding him. I know he's been flat out, but he was keen to get all these done ASAP.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It was May 6th that he sent me the recall confirmation email... have just sent a little reminder in case its got lost in the recall mayhem.
Same from last weeks post, I sent Mitch an email reminder on the 14th June (10 days ago just after I posted the quoted above) the replacement pivot turned up yesterday. No return label or any information about returning it.

Sits tighter to my car, more of a tilt than the old pivot which is good. Just misses the back door when the tailgate is down, probably wouldn't want to be climbing on it though.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
This is why sway straps are so important for vertical racks over 4 bike, for $10 worth of ratchet straps from Bunnings it secures the whole thing and reduces a lot of dynamic stress.
While we’re on straps, a lot of the verticals are designed for shuttling so only have bungees on top, I’ve found the grunt cam straps (also from Bunnings) are a cheap insurance policy for long / high speed / extremely rough trips.
Have a look at the current single trail rack design. They use a crank strap instead of a bungee, much more secure!

@ozzybmx, he’s binning the old ones…literally. Assumed he’d mention it, but won’t be wanting the old one back.
I thought the old ones were a thing of engineering beauty, it's a real shame he couldn't just make them stronger

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Same from last weeks post, I sent Mitch an email reminder on the 14th June (10 days ago just after I posted the quoted above) the replacement pivot turned up yesterday. No return label or any information about returning it.

Sits tighter to my car, more of a tilt than the old pivot which is good. Just misses the back door when the tailgate is down, probably wouldn't want to be climbing on it though.

View attachment 376784

View attachment 376785
I was hoping to utilise the extra forward tilt, but my stupid long tray/short hitch means I can’t go past vertical. I have about 5mm clearance under my carport with 27.5 bikes loaded. The tilt forward would have helped when I have to mullet the tranny

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I was hoping to utilise the extra forward tilt, but my stupid long tray/short hitch means I can’t go past vertical. I have about 5mm clearance under my carport with 27.5 bikes loaded. The tilt forward would have helped when I have to mullet the tranny
New carport time

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk