Formula One world championship

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Anyway Bottas is gone at the end of this season and George is in, if Lewis doesn't win the championship I reckon he will pull the pin. George is not going to be happy to play second fiddle.
I reckon win or lose Hamilton will retire at the end of this season, that one year contract shenanigans signed at the 11th hour all seemed pretty weird and like no one was overly happy with the outcome, and what else does he really have to prove? Gives Mercedes the option to have a clean break next year and two new drivers. Only question is who'll partner George...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
on a random tangent, do Pirelli still make their famously pervy calendar these days?
Sort of...they still do the calendar, but it's only pervery in an ISIS Mother's Club sort of way...

To give you some idea of the direction it's taken, apparently Brian "every drunk Gen Xs' favorite karaoke songwriter" Adams is doing next year's photos...

it's a nice bridge...

smaj

Likes Dirt
I actually really like Leclerc though which complicates things. Was much easier when Vettel was still with them.
Think I had a bit of a man crush on Leclerc in his first season at Ferrari. Was pretty great to see him jump in the car and be immediately nearly great, and humble too. Vettel I warmed to after he went to Ferrari (never thought I'd say that!)

I'm hoping that Dan's performance in the French GP is a sign he's got to grips with the car now, though his race pace dropped off a bit towards the end of the last stint. Good to see him putting a few decent passes on people.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Alright, hear me out, opinion time! I’ve seen a lot of posts on social media exclaiming that the racing in F1 has been great. I’ve also seen a big attraction to the sport (even with COVID blindsiding us) bought on by the Netflix show. A pal of mine has never before watched a Grand Prix now he and his wife adore it; after they binge watched the Netflix show. Admittedly, I watched a few episodes and stopped. Why? It’s junk, a completely staged TV show that like the sponsors on the cars; purely markets the sport and it’s affiliates. A smart move though, credit to them for accessorizing the sport. Now, I’ve never missed watching a Grand Prix since the early 1990’s but I also watch tons of other motor racing. On paper, F1 hasn’t changed much over the years with the well funded teams with the best resource pool cleaning up the trophies. There’s times that a battler breaks through and grabs a win but rarely. I know I sound like a hypocrite here but what in the fuck is attractive about F1? The cars are horrible to look at, the sound of the hybrid cars is fucking putrid compared to what we were treated to with V10, V8 and those almighty V12 Ferrari’s, the quality of racing is almost non existent and the overexposure is horrifying.

What am I on about you ask? I stayed up, watched the French Grand Prix and suffered through another race where the only interest is who changes a wheel quicker and a pass on a straight aided by the Drag Reduction System. Yay, off to bed for a few hours sleep before getting up early to watch the Road America Indycar race. Hands down, the racing quality in Indycar is and always has been miles and miles and miles ahead of Formula One. Yep, two different cultures of the sport and different budgets to execute their craft but fuck it’s good. Same as F1; I’ve watched Indycar since I could walk. People yawn at the idea of oval racing but I can guarantee you’ll be more engaged by a good race every race in Indycar as opposed to the stupidly predictable result in F1. Why and what is it that is attracting people to F1? Is it a fashion accessory to tell people you watch the ugliest race cars on earth? Is it wearing the big brands on an overpriced T shirt? Is it fanboying your most handsome driver? Beats me but I can safely say that this era of F1 is easily the most dull I’ve ever watched. With that in mind though, I’ll stand by my word of saying Sir Lewis is one of the best to steer a car that I’ve seen. He’s deservedly won 68345633 races and 45 championships (give or take) and we’re lucky to have been around to see it unfold.
I’m a sucker though, I’ll keep watching and waiting for something exciting to happen. It’s been that way for thirty years and will probably only stop when the ugly pieces of shit go full electric.

What attracts you to F1 and not other racing series?

smaj

Likes Dirt
The simple answer, for me, is I like the way the cars are made, and I follow a team (McLaren) which races in the midfield, where things are pretty tight. I can't argue that the problems with cars following each other make wheel-to-wheel racing difficult, but I'm hopeful that the 2022 formula will improve things. I actually thought following looks easier this year than previous years. France has a bunch of high- and mid-speed sweepers, and there is still a bit of understeer, but not near where it used to be I thought.

As far as other series goes, I haven't watched many. A bit of WEC (can't get into the longer races, though I love the cars), Supercars (not enough headspace to really start following the teams and drivers, and the cars look too heavy in the corners for me), Formula E (the last race in Monaco was great, shows what shorter and narrower cars can really do on the track), but none of the American series yet.

I do agree with you on Hamilton though, he is just superb. Great battle of fractions of a second and metre between him and Verstappen this year, I think.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Past years the Mercs have been so dominant they were able to run within their limits and you didn't get close to drivers pushing for more than a few laps. This year though it is closer. The French gp had them rewriting strategies as they drove because tyre wear wasn't as expected and the cars were going hard.

WEC is good, haven't tried Indy since watching them at the Gold Coast and seeing just how poor the drivers were, missed apexes, cars all over the road etc.

Supercars? Shitbox bogan made up crap, control chassis and box, engines from grandad's chaff cutter, etc etc. If GT3s are faster than your premier category try again...

Oh, and they are all better drivers than me...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The enthusiasm for F1 goes back a long way (like I suspect it does for many) but there are also seasons where I'd be lucky to catch 5 minutes - and would probably align with the years this thread has been completely dead. It wasn't that long ago I'd written off the turbo six era and was awaiting the 2021 (now 2022) changes to hopefully inject some excitement back into the sport. There have been a couple of reasons that's changed for me.

The first is Drive to Survive, which while being pre-packaged, manipulative, out of context reality tv bullshit also manages to offer the illusion - or maybe even the reality of - access to the teams, the drivers, team bosses and thus has injected some real personality and interest into a formula totally missing in the po faced elitist Ecclestone days - which I'm guessing is the show's sole aim. As a result, I'm now following far more drivers than I used to feel much more invested in what's happening. Who knew Toto Wolff was cool af? I didn't. The show is a masterstroke from F1's new owners Liberty Media or whoever.

The second thing is the sport is having something of a renaissance currently. Yes the overtaking is still shit but it always has been and at least with the aid of DRS etc. it's actually possible now. Plus we've got a burgeoning array of talent with arguably five drivers capable of winning the world championship (Leclerc, Hamilton, Verstappen, Norris and Riccardo on a good day, maybe Russell too), Mercedes' hegemony has - maybe - finally been broken which could make for a fantastic season and new regs next year promises a clean slate. Literally anyone could win.

As for other racing series? V8 Supercars has been of no interest to me since inception, Group A was far cooler. WRC continues to be managed by people who seemingly have no interest in anyone actually watching it, Formula E needs better batteries, Le Mans was better when it was Group C madness, Indycar was fun back in the 90s until Tony George decided there were too many of them foreigners sophisticating up the joint and it had to be murica oval racing, and the only reason anyone watches NASCAR is for the crashes. BTCC and DTM were f***ing awesome as well but have seemingly petered out. The only other one I'd like to get into is the Japanese Super GT or whatever it's called, that looks pretty good.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Alright, hear me out, opinion time! I’ve seen a lot of posts on social media exclaiming that the racing in F1 has been great. I’ve also seen a big attraction to the sport (even with COVID blindsiding us) bought on by the Netflix show. A pal of mine has never before watched a Grand Prix now he and his wife adore it; after they binge watched the Netflix show. Admittedly, I watched a few episodes and stopped. Why? It’s junk, a completely staged TV show that like the sponsors on the cars; purely markets the sport and it’s affiliates. A smart move though, credit to them for accessorizing the sport. Now, I’ve never missed watching a Grand Prix since the early 1990’s but I also watch tons of other motor racing. On paper, F1 hasn’t changed much over the years with the well funded teams with the best resource pool cleaning up the trophies. There’s times that a battler breaks through and grabs a win but rarely. I know I sound like a hypocrite here but what in the fuck is attractive about F1? The cars are horrible to look at, the sound of the hybrid cars is fucking putrid compared to what we were treated to with V10, V8 and those almighty V12 Ferrari’s, the quality of racing is almost non existent and the overexposure is horrifying.

What am I on about you ask? I stayed up, watched the French Grand Prix and suffered through another race where the only interest is who changes a wheel quicker and a pass on a straight aided by the Drag Reduction System. Yay, off to bed for a few hours sleep before getting up early to watch the Road America Indycar race. Hands down, the racing quality in Indycar is and always has been miles and miles and miles ahead of Formula One. Yep, two different cultures of the sport and different budgets to execute their craft but fuck it’s good. Same as F1; I’ve watched Indycar since I could walk. People yawn at the idea of oval racing but I can guarantee you’ll be more engaged by a good race every race in Indycar as opposed to the stupidly predictable result in F1. Why and what is it that is attracting people to F1? Is it a fashion accessory to tell people you watch the ugliest race cars on earth? Is it wearing the big brands on an overpriced T shirt? Is it fanboying your most handsome driver? Beats me but I can safely say that this era of F1 is easily the most dull I’ve ever watched. With that in mind though, I’ll stand by my word of saying Sir Lewis is one of the best to steer a car that I’ve seen. He’s deservedly won 68345633 races and 45 championships (give or take) and we’re lucky to have been around to see it unfold.
I’m a sucker though, I’ll keep watching and waiting for something exciting to happen. It’s been that way for thirty years and will probably only stop when the ugly pieces of shit go full electric.

Is this about that Missing Winning t-shirt, mate? ;)

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive stayed up late to watch f1 for as long as i can remember. My old man took me to the Adelaide gp in 1991 and i got to see (and hear) Senna and new guy Michael Schumacher in his early Benetton days.

F1 has always been innovative. And its always crazy technical. It sparks the inner tech geek in me.

I dont buy the whole "turbo hybrid era" time being an F1 death nell. People said the same thing when McLaren dominated the turbo era and Ferrari killing it in the early 2000s for so long. Its just the engines are quieter now and hey progress can be a fkn bitch eh.

I'll watch F1 until I stop breathing.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
There's simply nothing else like it.

For starters I grew up with it being a regular Sunday afternoon staple on the BBC with Murray Walker commentating on the likes of Lauda, Prost, Senna, Piquet and Mansell while Fleetwood Mac's epic outro to 'The Chain' would wail in the background. The racing itself may have had it's peaks and troughs -Mercedes dominance is just a continuation of Red Bulls dominance which was in turn Ferrari/Schumachers dominance and so on but there's always been the time periods in-between and the occasional freak season like Brawn's dominance of 2009.

There's the whole pageantry of it all with spectacular locations like Monaco and Singapore sparkling in amongst a whole variety of circuits from the beauty and speed of Spa to the stark floodlit desert of Bahrain and the backyard thrills of Albert Park (quite literally in my case - When I first moved to Oz I was living across the road from the pit straight)

Theres always been a great cast of characters both in and out of the driving seat. Hot-headed Senna, the Playboy antics of Hunt, Kimi's complete lack of fucks given, Danny Ricciardo's infectious personality, the ruthless personification of evil that was Bernie Ecclestone, Niki Lauda's bluntness, dodgy fuckers who are always lurking in the background like Flavio Briatore, the stoic determination of Frank Williams, Murray Walker's eternal gaffes - I could go on all day.

Sure the racing isn't as good as it used to be but tbh people have been saying that ever since Fangio won his second race.
Yes, it may not have the amount of overtaking and lead changes of Touring Cars, V8's or Moto GP but that makes position changes just that little bit more special - it's similar to the difference in emotions expressed to a goal in AFL vs a goal in Soccer. Plus at the moment we've got a genuine title battle on our hands and even when we are in the depths of title supremacy such as Merc's last 5 years there are still some great battles further down the field.

As for the competition? I like NASCAR enough to have driven across the USA just to attend a race (which got f***ing postponed because they don't race in the rain forcing me to postpone my onward flight and almost miss my Sister's wedding!) but there is a bit too much result-engineering involved with their mandatory yellow flags and whatnot. It's also a chore to watch on TV as I've an incredibly low tolerance for ad-breaks. The same can also be said for Indy Car.

WEC is interesting and I'd love to be able to attend a proper 24hr endurance event but as a series it's not really gripping.

WRC I love for one of the reasons I love F1 - the sheer variety in locations. The driver skill is unsurpassed too but unfortunately time-trial racing will never have the same thrill as head-head and the WRC themselves are a bit shit when it comes marketing their broadcast rights.

I can take or leave Supercars. The racing is always great to watch but I dunno, other than Bathurst I just don't have the same engagement with it as I do with F1. It just seems that little bit 'sunday league' or VFL.

DTM, Super GT and all the other cool little series' just lack exposure so there's no point following them.

Finally Moto GP. I'm pretty sure the only reason I don't get into that as much as I should is probably a sub-conscious self-preservation instinct because race bikes are affordable and I have no self-control when it comes to hobbies!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Oh. I forgot to include on the pageantry front - the calibre of the celebrities found at races. Now, the paddock is always chock full of mad A-list c**ts as opposed to the Melbourne Cup's usual desperate parade of C-List US reality TV stars. Royalty, Hollywood, International Warlords, you name it. My best one was seeing Sir Tom Jones play live prior to the start of the race at Singapore a few years ago.
It was a hell of a gig as you'd expect. The amount of pairs of underwear that were lobbed on stage verged on the disturbing given the fact the GP crowd were predominantly middle-aged males. The highlight though was seeing Sir Tom on the big screen during the race wandering around Pit Lane as the cars were coming in and out. This was in the era of the V8's when the engine noise was in excess of 140db and the entire pit wall clad in helmets and ear defenders. Sir Tom? Nada. The mad old bastard didn't even have ear plugs in!

smaj

Likes Dirt
the stoic determination of Frank Williams
Sadly reminds me, Sir Frank is probably not long for this world. With the sale of Williams, feels like they were tying up loose ends. :(

This was in the era of the V8's when the engine noise was in excess of 140db
I loved how mind-numbingly loud they were, trackside. Sitting in the stands opposite the pit in Melbourne, the shark fin of the car visible above the wall, moving slowly towards the pit exit, engine revving and making your whole body vibrate. Then later on watching Maldonado in the same Williams drop it on the exit of Turn 1 and beach himself in the kitty litter :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Sadly reminds me, Sir Frank is probably not long for this world. With the sale of Williams, feels like they were tying up loose ends. :(

I loved how mind-numbingly loud they were, trackside. Sitting in the stands opposite the pit in Melbourne, the shark fin of the car visible above the wall, moving slowly towards the pit exit, engine revving and making your whole body vibrate. Then later on watching Maldonado in the same Williams drop it on the exit of Turn 1 and beach himself in the kitty litter :)
Pastor Maldonado, the only driver to serve a pit lane drive through penalty for speeding on a pit lane drive through penalty for speeding in the pit lane. Legend.