DT EXP hub issues

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just saw a release from DT Swiss about possible issues with their EXP hubs. Specifically premature wear of the ratchet system.

I've emailed them because it seems like my new set are from that batch.
Someone reckons that batch had too much grease squeezed in there and it held the single sprung ratchet ring from engaging correctly.

By the time it was evident there was a problem from jumping or complete failure, the teeth were trashed and the grease was black from metal wear.

I just bought a set of 240s as I couldn't get 350s anywhere. It actually didn't work out too much more as I didn't have to buy the microspline freehub separately.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Received an email this morning.

since your hub has not been in use it can be very easily get updated. I copy our service center in Australia into this mail, they will reach out to you and arrange the fastest way for you to get an updated floating ratchet and some special grease.
So hopefully it will be a simple swap of the floating ratchet like some of the comments online suggested.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Received an email this morning.

So hopefully it will be a simple swap of the floating ratchet like some of the comments online suggested.
It would. And a clean out. They’re a simple and user friendly design, easy to check on a regular basis.

Ive experimented with different greases over the years on my roadie one, they don’t like gooopy grease! Slickoleum is doing well at present.

ozzybmx

Finishline wet lube, the magic lube for all hubs ;)

Will be interesting if they have an emphasis on the amount of grease installed.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I've been watching this issue as I'm looking at building some new wheels this year. The full story is in this thread on mtbr.com if you want some more info.

I think I'll wait a while before I get some. The old double ratchet system was bombproof. I hesitate to try a new system that has already had some reliability issues.

dirtdad

Yeah had a quick look through some of the MTBR thread. But not going to read all 17 pages (just yet).

Will see what local DT Swiss have to say.

dirtdad

Ugh. So apparently I now have to go through a bike shop warranty claim to get the revised ratchet. Given I bought it from Germany I've reached out to the overseas store for their advice.

I haven't even been able to find a replacement 36t exp ratchet for sale on its own.

ozzybmx

Well, I ended up ordering the old DT240 rear and the new DT240 front.
It was on clearance in the microspline, boost, CL, 28h configuration I needed and I have a genuine set of 54t star ratchets here to drop in to it.

DT350s are sold out in most places and the pre EXP 240 was actually cheaper at €195 than buying a 350 then having to buy a microspline freehub.

Also couldn't be bother buying a hub that may be in the recall numbers.

dirtdad

If you're buying now that the affected serial numbers are out, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an unaffected hub or for it to be checked and shipped with a new floating ratchet already installed (as per that WheelWorks vid above - they are revising any that they sell).

Agree on pricing though. When i looked at 350s, a microspline freehub, and a 36t ratchet upgrade, it was about $20 more to get EXP 240. I'm not salty on the hub itself, just annoyed I need to find a new ratchet so I don't ride it and end up with more parts to replace.

Jpez

Down on the left!
DT got in contact with them maybe ....

View attachment 375490
Pink bike headline next Monday. -

“ Australian MTB forum member posts controversial video which results in heated discussion, forum members getting “salty” and the video getting pulled. We will endeavour to get a statement from the former owner of WheelWorks but that may be tricky as he’s now employed at 99 bikes and will have to wait until he’s finished his shift selling kids bikes. “

Way to to go @Mattyp ;)