From the Blue Skye to the Deep Green Sea - Transition Spur

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
None planned but that was part of the idea that I would do extended trail rides. I used to do laps of Sturt gorge a few times a week but injuries and the lack of time in the past 18 months resulting in shit fitness has stopped me riding so much. Can link it up with the other parks around my area and make a decent 80-100km ride.

I am doing the 900km Mawson trail again in October but that will be on my Indyfab.

Sturt Gorge aka the leafy sea dragon, going to ride it Tuesday after I finish my nightshifts. Will be about a 35km loop with 800vm.

View attachment 375249
Sounds good. Would be interested to hear your thoughts after a bit more time on the bike. Would it be good for the longer endurance events, 100k marathons, 6 hour, 24 hours....? I’m guessing for the downs would be great but will you lose some time on the flats/climbs compared to a XC rig?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I’m guessing for the downs would be great but will you lose some time on the flats/climbs compared to a XC rig?
Yes probably, even if you bought the AXS Spur at $15,500, its still a 11.2kg bike.

My full sus Trek 9.9SL XC race bike before I added a dropper, has been 9.8kg depend on tyre choice.

Big difference in comfort of them with the Trek having a twitchy 70°HA and the Spur with relaxed 66°.

Will post my ponderings here after a few more rides.

ozzybmx

Ordered a few bits yesterday.

9-50t eThirteen Helix R cassette
DT 240 hubs

I have emailed a German manufacturer called 77Designz, they do a very light, 1 piece 'enduro' stem. Their 35mm stem weighs 69g and the 45mm weighs 84g. The reason for the email is fitting it to the OneUp bar, they failed to fit it to the 35mmx35mm as per below video but I have a 20mm rise OneUp so it may fit, asking the question anyway. There are comments below the video that it doesn't fit, then others that said it went on with no issues, just need to German translate.

Price is 99euros but when Australia is selected for shipping, it drops 17euros off the price and adds 3euros postage. So its $139 which is in the ballpark of regular stem prices.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Is it the same as this one? I’d say that price is damn good!
Its an awesome price for well made stem, I dont know if I would use one on my Highlander but for XC/Trail, it will do the job beautifully.

Just need to work out why 50% of people can fit it to a OneUp 20mm riser and 50% cant.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Its an awesome price for well made stem, I dont know if I would use one on my Highlander but for XC/Trail, it will do the job beautifully.

Just need to work out why 50% of people can fit it to a OneUp 20mm riser and 50% cant.
Maybe the other 50% Are more willing to use brute force and ignorance than the other 50%? That or a hammer.

ozzybmx

Maybe the other 50% Are more willing to use brute force and ignorance than the other 50%? That or a hammer.
Those are the 50% with the scored bars. They advise against using a screwdriver to pry open the clamp gap but I'm sure it happens.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Stunning bike, congratulations! This is on my list if my endless supply of Yeti's ever dries up.

Check out the Newmen 69g 50mm stem if you are going full weight weenie.

I reckon you could go sub 11kg without loosing any capability.

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Those lightweight stems that wrap around are nice but are a pain for bar install. I had a Ritchey 260 where you had to slide the bar through. Was a delicate operation as you did not want to score the bar.

Having said that the 77 Designz stem is very nice. Have you considered their bar/stem combo so you know it will work?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Ordered a few bits yesterday.

9-50t eThirteen Helix R cassette
DT 240 hubs

I have emailed a German manufacturer called 77Designz, they do a very light, 1 piece 'enduro' stem. Their 35mm stem weighs 69g and the 45mm weighs 84g. The reason for the email is fitting it to the OneUp bar, they failed to fit it to the 35mmx35mm as per below video but I have a 20mm rise OneUp so it may fit, asking the question anyway. There are comments below the video that it doesn't fit, then others that said it went on with no issues, just need to German translate.

Price is 99euros but when Australia is selected for shipping, it drops 17euros off the price and adds 3euros postage. So its $139 which is in the ballpark of regular stem prices.

Isn't this the one that had a recall because it was breaking? Maybe just a batch of them...googling....

Yep, just a batch

ozzybmx

Those lightweight stems that wrap around are nice but are a pain for bar install. I had a Ritchey 260 where you had to slide the bar through. Was a delicate operation as you did not want to score the bar.

Having said that the 77 Designz stem is very nice. Have you considered their bar/stem combo so you know it will work?
Just bought the OneUp carbon from a LBS here in Adelaide :oops: they had stock in their display case and OneUp is completely out of stock... $40 over online price.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
The 77 stem was inspired by the Intend stem:

https://www.intend-bc.com/products/intend-grace-en/

But is cheaper.
Das Nein....

77designz existed years before intend were on the scene.

77designz was founded in 2007 by three friends in Germany, they designed/built a DH bike frame called the 'Flatout' of which their were a few iterations up until 2011.

Around 2012/13 77designz stopped making frames and focused solely on the components side of things.

Now 77designz has resumed frame making with it's latest venture/brand 'KAVENZ' bikes and produce the VHP 16

https://kavenz.com/
https://77-store.com/en/Kavenz-VHP16-V5-Batch3/1001945

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Das Nein....

77designz existed years before intend were on the scene.

77designz was founded in 2007 by three friends in Germany, they designed/built a DH bike frame called the 'Flatout' of which their were a few iterations up until 2011.

Around 2012/13 77designz stopped making frames and focused solely on the components side of things.

Now 77designz has resumed frame making with it's latest venture/brand 'KAVENZ' bikes and produce the VHP 16

https://kavenz.com/
https://77-store.com/en/Kavenz-VHP16-V5-Batch3/1001945

Yes, 77 was established first but the design style of the stem was done by Intend first according to the owner on his ‘gram page. The stem was to be a two piece design but cost to make was too high so ended up a one piece.

ozzybmx

Ordered these rims, same semi stealth decals (we are brand ambassadors) so need to keep the Nextie decals and shape going, got 7 x 'N' around the wheels, got the AM build with 27mm internal width. Could have gone for the 30mm internal Ultralights but they have a 2.5mm wall thickness, the ones I have picked have 2.8mm which is only a little short from the 3mm enduro/downhill builds.

Rims will weigh 370g each.

The DT full wheel build with 28h, Competition 2/1.8/2 spokes, DT240's and brass nipples will come in at 1507g... a full fucking 780g lighter than the standard factory pov-pack wheels.

Last edited: