Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I did report Haakon to the mods a few days back for all this ongoing tradie hate, as it is starting to wear thin.....me thinks he has a pal on the other side!
I kinda get it. There's enough obnoxious tradies out there. But assuming that we're all obnoxious bogans because of a dual cab ute would be akin to assuming all drivers of cute little red handbags are pretentious twats

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Shuttles… pfft, pay the gravity tax like a proper mountain biker ;)

Besides, us corporates are spending a whole lot less money on out fancy cassettes and bum bags than you are on those tonka trucks!
Except- you aren’t a corporate. You a public servant that when you aren’t working from home or flying on the public coin are probably working in an office without any windows.
so this whole looking down your nose at tradies and pretty much everyone really is a bit rich. I would go so far to say your hatred of tradies is pathalogical.
There have been reasons given why “Tonka trucks” are useful to some here and the op asked for advice on utes. Not another one of your tiresome tirades.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Except- you aren’t a corporate. You a public servant that when you aren’t working from home or flying on the public coin are probably working in an office without any windows.
so this whole looking down your nose at tradies and pretty much everyone really is a bit rich. I would go so far to say your hatred of tradies is pathalogical.
There have been reasons given why “Tonka trucks” are useful to some here and the op asked for advice on utes. Not another one of your tiresome tirades.
Don't want to get involved it this shit show but want to clarify one point. Its a common misconception that public servants fly all over on the public dime like a Kardashian, that's the Pollies and their staff. Having had to fly for work a bit let me tell you it's not a holiday like most people are having when they fly. 6am flight with work to do while in the air to be ready for the meetings or conference you are flying to. All day listening to people complain that the gov isn't giving them enough money and how lazy public servants are, smile and nod while try to do the work that isn't getting done in the office while your here listening to them complain. 9pm flight home so it's kept to one day and no room or away allowance has to be paid. Home by midnight and back in the office by 9am to try and catch up on what wasn't done yesterday. Rinse repeat. If you want public servants to stop flying stop having industry groups bitch to the minister so we have to go and stroke their fragile egos. End rant.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I did report Haakon to the mods a few days back for all this ongoing tradie hate, as it is starting to wear thin.....me thinks he has a pal on the other side!
I am certain this was explained to you but for anyone else. Personal attacks are a no go zone. If mods miss a post then feel free to flag it, fuck knows we can't look through all 7,902.7 posts made on here hourly. Generic bitches are treated more generously unless it is trolling or getting tedious. @Haakon I could have predicted what your first post would say and the rest is bullshit from someone who isn't operating in that area so pretty pointless. Whether a dual cab ute is the best thing for any single job is debatable but they are out there and do a fair compromise job that plenty accept. In a former life we ran quite a few of these things. I think we had something like 80 on the go. And administering them was a pain in the arse. Some got treated better than any company car should expect and some trashed even worse than you could imagine. Some were actually used to transport tools and gas bottles etc around the site, some were just a shuttle to work. Some did 60,000km a year and some did 5,000 and so on. I remember trialling a 6 month swap around to even out use and a guy with an immaculate 2 year old ute was handed one that was 6 months old that had almost 500 empty coke cans in the back, not to mention maccas wrappers etc.

Anyway keep it civil and @Minlak won't need to send you pics of his arse.

PS: the rule above might vary if your name includes Clive, Tony, Pauline, Kevin or potato.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Really??? How many company executives get around in an Aurion? I think you'll find that (edit: Corporate Squids) White Collars are probably more guilty of Willie based purchases than the Tradies.
This is very true. a bigger issue is indeed the majority of these things not even pretending to be used for their “intended” purpose…

Jpez

Down on the left!
Don't want to get involved it this shit show but want to clarify one point. Its a common misconception that public servants fly all over on the public dime like a Kardashian, that's the Pollies and their staff. Having had to fly for work a bit let me tell you it's not a holiday like most people are having when they fly. 6am flight with work to do while in the air to be ready for the meetings or conference you are flying to. All day listening to people complain that the gov isn't giving them enough money and how lazy public servants are, smile and nod while try to do the work that isn't getting done in the office while your here listening to them complain. 9pm flight home so it's kept to one day and no room or away allowance has to be paid. Home by midnight and back in the office by 9am to try and catch up on what wasn't done yesterday. Rinse repeat. If you want public servants to stop flying stop having industry groups bitch to the minister so we have to go and stroke their fragile egos. End rant.
My comments re travel we’re specifically related to Haakers pre Covid comments on his love for travelling for work whenever he could.
He even had a sook in the Black dog thread about not getting a job that would have allowed him to fly to Antarctica or somewhere.that thread is for people with serious mental health issues. Not having a whinge about not getting a job with benefits.
Anyway I don’t want annoy Dale anymore than i already have so that’s the last I’ll say on it.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
OK from now on anybody not offering helpful advice to the OP will have their post deleted. Fuck this thread.

moorey

call me Mia
I don’t think for a second that public servant comments are serious, any more than I think @Haakon is serious about his tradie hate. Both sides are just playing to stereotypes and trolling each other....aren’t they?

I also opted to stay out of this thread, despite:
A: Being a strong advocate for dual cab utes.
B: A huge mocker of gigantic tonka trucks with 35 muds, winches, lifts and lockers, driven around town by flogs purely after a ‘look’

I need a DC ute. It’s that or have 2 vehicles. It’s not fast, comfortable or stylish, but it’s super practical for our lifestyle.

I think I’m stating the bleeding obvious, but some days I can’t be sure on here :p

@puffmoike I can’t offer much advice on the tub/tray/tool boxes. I used to have tub..it sucked for unloading wood, gravel, dirt etc. The only advantage was less rattles. I now have a tray with drop sides. I don’t carry tradie tools though, just bike spares, so I fitted the small tool boxes under the tray both sides.
He’s maybe smart to head to an engineering joint who decks out utes to discuss what he needs and what they can provide.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Back on topic.....god forbid
if you decide to go down the road of tray mounted boxes, go either steel or thick aluminium, and try to stay away from the twin latch boxes and go for the single with the internal locking bar that pushes out both sides, one that can be double locked with a padlock.
I had one of my boxes ripped open about 3 weeks ago whilst we were away on hols, had $1k worth of fishing gear knocked off (twin latch), and a few years ago I has a similar problem where they busted the latch with a ring spanner and lifted $3k worth of electrical and fridgy's tools, also twin latch.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
if you decide to go down the road of tray mounted boxes, go either steel or thick aluminium, and try to stay away from the twin latch boxes and go for the single with the internal locking bar that pushes out both sides, one that can be double locked with a padlock.
I had one of my boxes ripped open about 3 weeks ago whilst we were away on hols, had $1k worth of fishing gear knocked off (twin latch), and a few years ago I has a similar problem where they busted the latch with a ring spanner and lifted $3k worth of electrical and fridgy's tools, also twin latch.
Can confirm, go the single latch with a bar.
Lost $2k worth of stuff out of a twin latch box. Hand tools, power tools, micrometer sets,, verniers...... it added up really quickly.

It might be worth looking into a place that makes boxes that replace the tray/tub entirely. Tailgates with vices were a game changer for me, and centre locking toolboxes are pretty good.
Our ones at work are bloody expensive though, $18 grand all up including the sign writing.

Jpez

Down on the left!
The cheap thin checker plate aluminium is pretty useless no matter how many locks you put on it. I’ve seen the aftermath of it being punctured with a sharp chisel and levered open like a coke can.
Another thing to keep in mind is the flip open latch locks they use on some boxes there is only a very limited amount of keys they use. So some random guy next to you with the same sort of locks there is a chance his keys may open yours. So some crook might only need a bunch of keys and he’s got entry.
I would also invest in an alarm. Shock sensor and open box.