Newly Released Suspension & Components General

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Ah got it, when does a wider Q-factor become unaturally wide though? I think as a 195cm rider, my Q-Factor could be comfortably 'super boosted' a bit more but what about shorter riders? Will we see frame size based axle sizes? XS/S get 148 M/L/XL get 157..
It's been studied and proven that Q-factor makes stuff all difference once you're used to it.

The only time I've noticed was riding a cheap Fatbike

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Still reckon a wider BB (and therefore crank) standard is coming.

Gotta make that superboost work without enormously flared, heel catching chainstays somehow...
Maybe, but that was the thing about Superboost, they could go 157mm on a 73mm BB.

The chainline on my Highlander is 55mm with the XT M8120 crankset, the Q-factor on those is 178mm, I went these on purpose as I like a wider Q. Deviate specified my chainline should be 52mm. So I sit +3mm with no shifting issues.

The Q-factor range for Superboost is 173-177mm but the chainline increases to 56mm, so the M8120 cranks would work beautifully at only being -1mm on chainline. This is just a dishing of the chainring to achieve 56mm.

They may increase the BB width but probably more than likely (at the moment) a spaced wider spindle like the M8120 cranks have to increase the Q.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The chainline on my Highlander is 55mm with the XT M8120 crankset, the Q-factor on those is 178mm, I went these on purpose as I like a wider Q.
I've done this on my bikes as well, and prefer the (subtly) wider pedal stance. I don't feel like I'm standing on the edge of the pedals as much.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've done this on my bikes as well, and prefer the (subtly) wider pedal stance. I don't feel like I'm standing on the edge of the pedals as much.
Same, I claw at the left pedal on a narrow Q resulting in Metatarsal pain.
Reckon 4 years on Fatbike with the 100mm BB got me riding like a cowboy on a horse :p

Extended pedal spindles would also work.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
That's interesting, I wonder if that's why I am hankering for a wider pedal platform?

PJO

in me vL comy
Interesting question on whether the current shortage of components and consumables is making you ride more cautiously.
I'm hoping the side effect might be that more bare frames are released from bike manufacturers. This is probably unlikely as the bottleneck holding up the components is likely the same from frames...

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm hoping the side effect might be that more bare frames are released from bike manufacturers. This is probably unlikely as the bottleneck holding up the components is likely the same from frames...
I've always wanted a bare metal Fluid or Repco.

• Sad
Reactions: PJO

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It's been studied and proven that Q-factor makes stuff all difference once you're used to it.

The only time I've noticed was riding a cheap Fatbike
Less noticeable the taller you are I reckon, not sure what the bb width is on the Muru but it sure as he'll is lots wider than the other bikes and it feels normal to ride. Maybe John Wayne or someone with rickets would find fault.

beeb

Decent review of the SR Suntour Zeron coil fork.

100 grams lighter than the Z1 (if that's important to you) and has a really nice feel to it.

Looks decent overall, but only having two spring rates sounds a bit shit (Also sounds like different springs depending on travel? Not spacer-adjustable like the Z1...). I think for me though the advantage of a coil fork is being able to run bugger-all compression damping because the coil inherently gives the midstroke support I want. So I guess if you fell in the right weight-range of the two springs rate it'd probably be a okay buy.

Honestly though (and amusingly I find myself doing a mini-review of what I started this thread with...) - I'd probably still buy another Z1. That decision would be largely based on knowing that the damper and coil interact really nicely, and the chassis stiffness is excellent (No obvious fork bend under heavy braking for me anymore!). I bought the fork expecting it to feel like a cheapened off Fox 36 - but found no negatives (aside from the shitful QR axle that pokes out on a weird angle, though the purchase of an aftermarket bolt-in axle sorted that). Then I bought the coil conversion parts as a "cheap" way to dip my toes in the water with coil expecting it to clunk or squeak or feel cheap or bottom out or something - but it just bloody works! (And works well)

I have a Grip2 damper spare I'll probably chuck in it at some point just to try, but I'm really not in any rush to do so. So yeah. Said it before, I'll say it again. Great fork, super-simple setup, highly recommend.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Yep. What he said.

Except for the axle bit. You can adjust the angle once you have the clamping force sorted so you can tuck it out of the way.

Reactions: PJO

beeb

Yep. What he said.

Except for the axle bit. You can adjust the angle once you have the clamping force sorted so you can tuck it out of the way.
Is the nut in the fork lower meant to turn or something? Mine is well stuck. Haven't looked in a while, but the QR axle didn't appear to have any adjustment.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Is the nut in the fork lower meant to turn or something? Mine is well stuck. Haven't looked in a while, but the QR axle didn't appear to have any adjustment.
I definately moved mine the first time I installed it. Can't remember how though. :)

beeb

I definately moved mine the first time I installed it. Can't remember how though. :)
Haha, I tried wrenching on mine with a sturdy set of circlip pliers - but no dice. It was stuck solid.