The stupid questions thread.

moorey

call me Mia
How the fuck does cash converts, the pawn shop, sell anything when all their goods are 125% of new prices?
They buy it for 5% of its value. People bring in stolen shit. Use the money to buy inflated other stolen shit. Money laundered. Bobs yore uncle.
Sounds feasible at least.

Flow-Rider

Burner
They buy it for 5% of its value. People bring in stolen shit. Use the money to buy inflated other stolen shit. Money laundered. Bobs yore uncle.
Sounds feasible at least.
They're cunning chunts, they set up a pawnbroking loan or buy only facility in my area knowing that most of the stuff is hot and distribute it through other shops away from the area.

slowmick

38-39"
What is the difference in suspension travel lengths and big hits. Do i need to drag around lots of suspension for the times a screw up and bit the bump stop? Would less travel just harsher at those times? I've not had much experience with different full suspension bikes.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What is the difference in suspension travel lengths and big hits. Do i need to drag around lots of suspension for the times a screw up and bit the bump stop? Would less travel just harsher at those times? I've not had much experience with different full suspension bikes.
Yes but... for someone over 1t it won't matter...

Quality is important and how it is set up. You can still blow through lots of travel if you have it soggy or it is shit or worn out.

I reckon no if you have good stuff but then I have two hardtails.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Technique for the win. Some guys I've ridden with over the years could use a balance bike where I've wanted 8 inches in my front and rear!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Here's my take on it. Up until recently, the bigger bikes were slack, beefy and built to take big hits and be comfortably in the air. The longer travel forks had thicker stanchions and the longer travel shocks were bigger than their weight weenie race counterparts.

100mm XC bikes had a 71° HA, 32mm stanchions on sub 2kg frames, 100mm stem and space for a 2.25" tyre. Not comfortable in the air unless you are Nino Schurter.

Enduro/AM, 65° HA, 36mm stanchions, beefy frames, short stem and big tyres. Made for fun, jumps, ploughing rock gardens and going fast on rough stuff.

There is a bit if a change there with some of the models resembling a short travel enduro bike now, the SC Tallboy definitely springs to mind. The Evil Following I owned was another and the Transition Spur I have been watching a few videos on lately. 66°HA, 120mm front and rear, room for 2.4 or bigger tyres, Fox 34's or SID'S with the 35mm stanchions ect.
These short travel bikes will be as comfortable ripping trails and jumping as their full enduro counterparts but even with the quailty suspension, setting them up with more pressure or token for bigger hits will take away from the ride quality of the shorter travel bike. You will hit the limits on stuff with more gnarl on the shorter bike than with the 160mm bike.

The trade off is, are you pedalling a 160mm bike around trails that are more than capable on a standard XC bike and would absolutely rip on a slack shorter travel bike like the Following or Spur.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Me too.

I definitely needed the Highlander for trips away, shuttle days, big/steep trail and times that I just want to cruise.

Training rides and general local trail rides, I have been riding that Nukeproof Scout but its 150mm front and slack as... my XC bike has went on permanent loan to #1 son so this void would be filled perfectly with a bike like the Transition Spur. I could use it for training and trail rides and also drop some XC tyres on it and use it for a race if I needed to.

I've got a plan in place ;)