What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
News flash. No one is bitching.
No one bitches about riding tubeless, once they are setup...much bitching about the process. I did secretly hope that while we were riding and the newly set up wheel were in the back of his fairly new car that the bead would pop out and spray all though the car...but it didn't.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
ie: They're the same as pretty much every hub except Hopes. I had issues with my P321's, even once repaired they were okay but not great. I hate the noise from I9's, and Onyx's are fairly heavy. The CK's roll insanely well, so while I might have got a dud one - there's squillions of good ones out there and it's not like other brands are always flawless either. My hub came from Ze Germans so it's probably some old stock discount sell-off, whatever - life goes on. Given it's the first faulty product (potentially) I've had with all the MTB shit I've bought, it seems I'm doing pretty okay overall. Once I get a spare wheel sorted to use in the interim, I'll try and chase up some warranty asssitance and decide my feelings on CK from there.

If you care about price, the best VFM is probably DT 350's, and Hopes are the easily rebuildable/reliability winner (usual caveat about replacement bearings, etc etc...).

As to changing standards - oh wow, gosh - standards change and there's parts incompatibilities? Manufacturers redesign their products and don't ensure backwards compatibility? Say it isn't so! This must be the first time this has ever happened in the mountain bike industry! Alert Pinkbike, VitalMTB and all the others - there will be outrage!
I got a dud CK too, it was noisy and had premature bearing wear. There's a big thread on mtbr somewhere discussing the tooling/tolerancing issues that they had. Given the absolute fortune I paid for them, the shitty cs I got left me pretty sour...

I agree the Dt 350s and Hopes are the best vfm and most serviceable.

Chris King had an affair with @Oddjob's wife. He just hasn't told us yet.

Or an affair with @Oddjob and broke his heart ;)
He touched my stingy asian wallet with his overpriced hubs and that's worse.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have a set of Chris Kings on my 2011 Enve wheels, stuck now on my CX due to changing hub standards, can only be run as QR135/QR100 or 100x15 front.

Well over 15,000km on them across 3 bikes, serviced occasionally by tapping out the bearings with a pin punch and lubed using finishline wet lube. No propriety tools or fluids used in their 10yrs of abuse, still buzzing like an angry bee.

Would have liked a set of i9 Hydra but the $300 extra for a microspline freehub made me realise how much of a stupid idea it was.

Still reckon if the world was functioning normally and we didn't have this shortage of everything bicycle, we would be seeing a movement into 157mm frames. Coronavirus has quenched innovation as they cant even supply the shit they are already tooled for.

Maybe I'll get those Hydras when we move to superboost ;)

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Heck yeah - they look great lads! I wonder what frame I got my "inspiration" from for that Waltly...
Scotty reckons the Waltly feels like an XC bike in comparison to his Paradox! I wouldn't go that far but the Paradox does has a burly feel to it. And whilst I have no complaints with the Durolux his Mezzers are luciously plush

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Still reckon if the world was functioning normally and we didn't have this shortage of everything bicycle, we would be seeing a movement into 157mm frames. Coronavirus has quenched innovation as they cant even supply the shit they are already tooled for.

Maybe I'll get those Hydras when we move to superboost ;)
Even for hardtails?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't imagine how anyone here with a serious injury manages to stay sane..
Speaking from bitter experience, it's no fun recovering from surgery / injury, but what other option do you have? What helps is getting that little bit better each week.

And squeezing the brakes, tyres, grips every other day helps too.
And stocking up on parts / gear to break out the moment you get the surgeon's nod to break loose.

HamboCairns

Speaking from bitter experience, it's no fun recovering from surgery / injury, but what other option do you have? What helps is getting that little bit better each week.

And squeezing the brakes, tyres, grips every other day helps too.
And stocking up on parts / gear to break out the moment you get the surgeon's nod to break loose.
I guess you have no option! I'm tempted to go and tackle a gentle green trail, even if it's to get the children on the trail too. Hopefully that shouldn't strain the ribs/

I guess now is a good time to learn how to true a wheel and do a lower leg service!

My wife is astonished with how much stuff I've bought and still need. Hobbies hey?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@rangersac nice way to start the day on some new to me trails. My morning was much more fun than the 3hrs of put put golf I suffered in the arvo. @beeb the Walty is a hoot to ride. Light as well. Feels a lot more nimble than the paradox but mine has turned into a solid build with heavy wheel set. So would you like a deposit now for your old frame?
I was thinking to sell the Waltly V1 frame sometime soon... Waltly V3 ain't going anywhere. ;)
Waltly V1 PYR

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess you have no option! I'm tempted to go and tackle a gentle green trail, even if it's to get the children on the trail too. Hopefully that shouldn't strain the ribs/

I guess now is a good time to learn how to true a wheel and do a lower leg service!

My wife is astonished with how much stuff I've bought and still need. Hobbies hey?
Lower leg service is so easy you'll wonder what the fuss was once you've done it. And your forks will fell so much better for it.

Just remember,
Start with clean forks,
take your time,
Clean everything,
Check the seals on the lowers upside down (so nothing falls into the lowers),
Measure the oil required,
Monkey force is NOT required,
Ensure your brake caliper is all protected in a plastic baggy.

It's easier if you remove the fork from the bike but not necessary.

HamboCairns

Lower leg service is so easy you'll wonder what the fuss was once you've done it. And your forks will fell so much better for it.

Just remember,
Start with clean forks,
take your time,
Clean everything,
Check the seals on the lowers upside down (so nothing falls into the lowers),
Measure the oil required,
Monkey force is NOT required,
Ensure your brake caliper is all protected in a plastic baggy.

It's easier if you remove the fork from the bike but not necessary.
Great advice thanks!

I need to search for the recommended oil again. Didn't someone say that you can just use something bought from Supercheap Auto (the right viscosity of course!)

HamboCairns

Bought replacement grips as my DMR Deathgrips got ripped and the grip itself twists under pressure.

Behold the even more pink Deity Supracush grips! I chose these as they have nice 34mm diameter which is good for my larger hands.