What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

k3n!f

leaking out the other end

I did the Shifty Fifty at Buxton today. Not going to lie, getting out of the car into the rain when it was 4° was hard, and it was still only 6° when I finished. The only warm clothing I had with me was my lucky polar bear socks*. Had a great first lap, was surprisingly grippy in the wet, but my brake pads were toast half way around the second loop.

I topped up my XTR brakes with fluid yesterday to get the bite point nice early in the stroke, then wore through so much pad they pulled back to the handlebar by about 40km. Limped home and took my gloves off and found I had also worn through the skin on my middle fingers on both hands from the lever pulling back to the bar. Lucky it was so cold I couldn't feel my hands I guess....

I haven't checked the brakes yet, must be close to the metal backing plates though.

Great day out, 10/10 will destroy myself in atrocious weather again.

*Disappointingly made from cotton, not polar bear so they were not particularly warm

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
View attachment 374064

I did the Shifty Fifty at Buxton today. Not going to lie, getting out of the car into the rain when it was 4° was hard, and it was still only 6° when I finished. The only warm clothing I had with me was my lucky polar bear socks*. Had a great first lap, was surprisingly grippy in the wet, but my brake pads were toast half way around the second loop.

I topped up my XTR brakes with fluid yesterday to get the bite point nice early in the stroke, then wore through so much pad they pulled back to the handlebar by about 40km. Limped home and took my gloves off and found I had also worn through the skin on my middle fingers on both hands from the lever pulling back to the bar. Lucky it was so cold I couldn't feel my hands I guess....

I haven't checked the brakes yet, must be close to the metal backing plates though.

Great day out, 10/10 will destroy myself in atrocious weather again.

*Disappointingly made from cotton, not polar bear so they were not particularly warm
Nice one! Wish I could crank out 50km in a time resembling that
Saturday up there was bad enough, did not envy those who were doing the 50 on Sunday. Especially as we'd already churned up the tracks for you!

moorey

call me Mia
This year you might hit the jackpot and get snow.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
Snowed at Buller a few months ago, mid summer. Last year Falls had a blizzard on the practice day that ended up being canceled.
Baw Baw just had 6”. I won’t be surprised at anything these days, TBH.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Not today but Saturday evening. Quick few up and down the back of Stromlo, had the place to myself.
View attachment 374080
I think I know those rocks from last week's shuttle day! Nice little roll / drop section there.
Out of interest - what pressures do you run around Stromlo?
(Context - I pinch flatted my rear (2.35 aggressor) running about 28psi going down WCup B. Then plugged it, and later ripped out the plug going down that exact rock roll (if it's the one I think it is). Rear triangle covered in sealant. Never flatted around Sydney with this setup though (also v. rocky). Maybe just got unlucky?)

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Freight forwarder might be cheaper?
Had pondered that. Have used ShopMate before, problem is you don't really know how much it's going to cost until you've bought & they've already received the item to forward. Think i'll sit on it for a bit.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I think I know those rocks from last week's shuttle day! Nice little roll / drop section there.
Out of interest - what pressures do you run around Stromlo?
(Context - I pinch flatted my rear (2.35 aggressor) running about 28psi going down WCup B. Then plugged it, and later ripped out the plug going down that exact rock roll (if it's the one I think it is). Rear triangle covered in sealant. Never flatted around Sydney with this setup though (also v. rocky). Maybe just got unlucky?)
I tend to run way lower than that 22-24ish but I'm a light weight and have just come off doing these trails on a hardtail so I'm pretty light with the rear end. Probably just unlucky as its no rockier than the trails I've done in Sydney.