Mtb prices gone stupid: The Renovation, Planning Permission & Fkn Tradies (and climate change and dog breeding ethics, +greyhound appreciation) Thread

Flow-Rider

Burner
You do a thing called 'Adverse Possession' in Australia if you have encroachment with property, where you can have a legal right to claim your neighbours land if you've occupied that bit of land for than 12~15 years depending on which state you live in.

Heaps of houses and structures are built on the wrong boundary, just look on Google. I wonder how many builders don't read the offset surveyors pegs properly?

ausdb

Being who he is
Not great, MTB park couple of hundred metres up the road has regular break-ins. It is close to trails though!

Development isn't super straightforward and does get more involved every year.
The prison bars on the laundry window say a lot about the suburb or what's adjacent to it.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
In regards to the COVID tax on used bike sales, I'm 100% an advocate for bluntly pointing out to a seller that "Your shit is overpriced you thieving jerk". The typical replies that follow along the lines of mind your own business, fuck off you don't know what you're talking about etc etc.
I'm so all for pointing out that something is overpriced that I give credit to the people who discuss such things in the forums. Don't be a penny pincher, don't be like that turd Chopsticks. A used bike isn't worth what you're asking for it.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
In regards to the COVID tax on used bike sales, I'm 100% an advocate for bluntly pointing out to a seller that "Your shit is overpriced you thieving jerk". The typical replies that follow along the lines of mind your own business, fuck off you don't know what you're talking about etc etc.
I'm so all for pointing out that something is overpriced that I give credit to the people who discuss such things in the forums. Don't be a penny pincher, don't be like that turd Chopsticks. A used bike isn't worth what you're asking for it.
But something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and that goes even if it's a stupidly high price. As long as they are honest about the quality of the bike, I have no issues with someone asking a high price.
There was a woman on Tas MTB the other day selling her late husbands top speced Pole Stamina 140 for about $8k. Some know it all commented that it was a ripoff and obviously not a high end bike because it didn't have internal cable routing. :rolleyes:
I'm not looking to upgrade until next year, and hopefully prices will have settled a bit by then.

moorey

call me Mia
But something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and that goes even if it's a stupidly high price. As long as they are honest about the quality of the bike, I have no issues with someone asking a high price.
There was a woman on Tas MTB the other day selling her late husbands top speced Pole Stamina 140 for about $8k. Some know it all commented that it was a ripoff and obviously not a high end bike because it didn't have internal cable routing. :rolleyes:
I'm not looking to upgrade until next year, and hopefully prices will have settled a bit by then.
Hard disagree. I hate opportunism, and that the crux of most of this.
Were you cool with Texas power companies increasing electricity costs by many 1000’s % in the midst of their recent blackout?
I know it’s a false equivalency...but is it? Many sellers say ‘you can’t buy new, so pay my inflated used price’ in literally those words.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The blokes that repost their $5k used Santa Cruz/Specialized for $8k every week just in case they get a nibble are shitstains.

I bet none of these people who have their bikes advertised high would be willing to go to an Ebay style auction, because selling their bike isn't the priority, it's eeking out every dollar while people are desperate. As Moorey said, opportunistic.

Although, I do understand during COVID times with limited supply, it's going to be natural that people will be more inclined to pay if they want that particular item.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
You do a thing called 'Adverse Possession' in Australia if you have encroachment with property, where you can have a legal right to claim your neighbours land if you've occupied that bit of land for than 12~15 years depending on which state you live in.

Heaps of houses and structures are built on the wrong boundary, just look on Google. I wonder how many builders don't read the offset surveyors pegs properly?
The cadastre on Google Maps, etc isn't always accurate and relies a lot on the map projection, so it's hard to say something is over a boundary just from satellite imagery, but it does happen a lot.

I'm always super careful how I place stakes relative to pegs, because fencers all too often see the stake and fence to that. Curved boundaries also stuff people up, because you might have a curve on the front boundary change close to a corner and they end up fencing to the corner.

In the attached photo, this client had basically given up 9m2 of their backyard by running their side fence from the wrong bend. They also had their front fence 0.5m in from the boundary, but had done so to build a better rock wall and plant street trees to screen.

Jpez

Down on the left!
In some ways the people defending the Covid tax as just capitalism at play and folks should be able to ask whatever they like or whatever are basically right. I don’t entirely disagree with it as that is the way our shitty system is.
I mean we all pay ridiculous overinflated prices for new bikes, cars ,housing, electronics and so on.
We know it didn’t cost anywhere near what we are paying for it to produce and sell and make money. It’s just the way it is and the second hand markets follows suit.
What does grate though is we mountain bikers consider ourselves a community and a bit of a brotherhood. And sisters of course and look after eachother. The amount of times that I’ve been asked if I’m ok on the side of the trail because I’ve stopped to have a piss or something is awesome.
So when we see one of our so called ‘brothers or sisters’ trying to rip off fellow mountain bikers in the name of just selling something for what the market will bear its a c$&nt act. It really is and should be called out for what it is.
Chops and his ilk can get rooted.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This is a house that I had built in 2005, my builder jack hammered the neighbours footings away that sloped onto my boundary, the wall of their house is on the boundary, you can also see the driveway is a few inches on my boundary too.

Flow-Rider

Burner
In some ways the people defending the Covid tax as just capitalism at play and folks should be able to ask whatever they like or whatever are basically right. I don’t entirely disagree with it as that is the way our shitty system is.
I mean we all pay ridiculous overinflated prices for new bikes, cars ,housing, electronics and so on.
We know it didn’t cost anywhere near what we are paying for it to produce and sell and make money. It’s just the way it is and the second hand markets follows suit.
What does grate though is we mountain bikers consider ourselves a community and a bit of a brotherhood. And sisters of course and look after eachother. The amount of times that I’ve been asked if I’m ok on the side of the trail because I’ve stopped to have a piss or something is awesome.
So when we see one of our so called ‘brothers or sisters’ trying to rip off fellow mountain bikers in the name of just selling something for what the market will bear its a c$&nt act. It really is and should be called out for what it is.
Chops and his ilk can get rooted.
I think times have changed, I try to support a lot of the MTB shops that put back into the industry but a lot of them are there purely for profits and not much else. A lot of people use the sales of their old bike to fund their new one too, this happens in most sports when they have a big uptake. If someone is going to sell something close to what it costs new I always buy the new product, I'd rather have a bike with warranty than a half arsed maintained POS ridden to death because they knew they were going to off load at the end of the financial year.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
If I sold my bike on FB and saw the next person trying to flip for a profit, I'd be inclined to advertise it again with a slightly different picture and at a lower price just to show up the piece of shit.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
In other news, when I was looking for a new slack hardtail, I was seriously considering the 2020 Specialized Fuse at $2,300 but I thought it a bit overpriced compared to the Ragley at the time.

The 2021 model went up $300 to $2,600. It's gone up again to $2,800... $2,800 for a Rockshox Recon/Deore 12sp equipped hardtail. You could probably buy a Banshee Paradox for that much!

Elbo

I think times have changed, I try to support a lot of the MTB shops that put back into the industry but a lot of them are there purely for profits and not much else. A lot of people use the sales of their old bike to fund their new one too, this happens in most sports when they have a big uptake. If someone is going to sell something close to what it costs new I always buy the new product, I'd rather have a bike with warranty than a half arsed maintained POS ridden to death because they knew they were going to off load at the end of the financial year.
The owner of a bike shop I used to work for was nominated for a local business award. When asked what the role of the bike shop in the community was, he said, "to make money." Now that's a pretty honest answer, but it's also ethically dubious in my book. It also explains why when the shop had a sale during covid, they had pallets of toilet paper for sale in the bike shop..
Some people really are just all about money.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Reminds me of times I used to visit car dealerships just for a look around. You'd pick the sales guys and girls pretty quickly who were passionate about the product verses the ones who just lived for the sale and would be just as happy flogging vacuum cleaners if there was money in it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The owner of a bike shop I used to work for was nominated for a local business award. When asked what the role of the bike shop in the community was, he said, "to make money." Now that's a pretty honest answer, but it's also ethically dubious in my book. It also explains why when the shop had a sale during covid, they had pallets of toilet paper for sale in the bike shop..
Yeah, and everyone is happy to buy a new bike from these people, I think most people would shit themselves if they have seen the profits of some retail outlets. I applaud LBS that offer free local shop rides, nothing worse than seeing a newb with a brand-new bike, all the gear out on the trails and riding up a one way trail in reverse with no trail etiquette.

Elbo

Reminds me of times I used to visit car dealerships just for a look around. You'd pick the sales guys and girls pretty quickly who were passionate about the product verses the ones who just lived for the sale and would be just as happy flogging vacuum cleaners if there was money in it.
Yeah, and everyone is happy to buy a new bike from these people, I think most people would shit themselves if they have seen the profits of some retail outlets. I applaud LBS that offer free local shop rides, nothing worse than seeing a newb with a brand-new bike, all the gear out on the trails and riding up a one way trail in reverse with no trail etiquette.
Yep, this guy would sell his own grandma if it made money (in fact they sell a lot of shit, but if I list it I'd be one step away from a name and shame, and I'm not about that).
That shop was the first shop I worked in that actively tried to stop employees forming relationships with reps, and only gave staff a 20% discount off RRP instead of access to wholesale or near wholesale prices (which I thought was part of the reason you get paid so poorly in the industry).

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
If I sold my bike on FB and saw the next person trying to flip for a profit, I'd be inclined to advertise it again with a slightly different picture and at a lower price just to show up the piece of shit.
I did this, he wasn't happy, I felt a little better after that

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk