Mtb prices gone stupid: The Renovation, Planning Permission & Fkn Tradies (and climate change and dog breeding ethics, +greyhound appreciation) Thread

Coopz

Likes Dirt
It’s the weirdest recession ever! Everyone has heaps of money to spend on bike stuff.
Will there be a day when all these lightly ridden bikes hit the second hand market or is this the new normal.
My mate who is looking for a bike works for one of the more higher end Euro car dealerships. Sales are up 30-40% on 2019. People are not blowing their disposable income on holidays so they are buying other crap like over priced European SUV rubbish.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It’s the weirdest recession ever! Everyone has heaps of money to spend on bike stuff.
Will there be a day when all these lightly ridden bikes hit the second hand market or is this the new normal.
Economies are going through uncharted territory, house and land values go through the roof with record highs and GDP is just chugging along, not record lows nor record highs in Australia.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Widespread panic across all industries, it's mind boggling.

I know people that have been offered more for their current cars than they paid new, 4 years and 80,000km ago.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Economies are going through uncharted territory, house and land values go through the roof with record highs and GDP is just chugging along, not record lows nor record highs in Australia.
Covid house prices confuse me.... I get the whole "money is cheap" thing, but its still massive debt. Just goes to show I dont understand economics. I was shitting bricks buying a house right as this whole things kicked off...

Coopz

Likes Dirt
My personal favourite "absolute weapon" used to describe everything from an 80mm XC hardtail with Alivio groupset bike to a top spec downhill sled.
'Never crashed' 'over serviced' 'barely ridden' (2 year old bike on 3rd set of tyres..) 'excellent condition, just needs some minor tlc' ie. Needs new gears, brakes, chain, rust removal and the fork is slightly bent..
Love Marketplace descriptions:)

Minlak

custom titis
'Never crashed' 'over serviced' 'barely ridden' (2 year old bike on 3rd set of tyres..) 'excellent condition, just needs some minor tlc' ie. Needs new gears, brakes, chain, rust removal and the fork is slightly bent..
Love Marketplace descriptions:)
You forgot the absolute gold standard - Frame Cracked but has been ridden fine since

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
With no overseas immigration, you'd think supply of houses would be better than ever.
FOMO is very real
Land supply is the worst it's been in Victoria in the last 5 years. Goodluck buying a semi decent buildable block in Greenfields or regional areas... And that's without the 50 odd percent of the national immigration doing their thing here in Vic. Construction costs in the last month's are about 15 percent up, it's only the start of the pricing increases expected with FK all timber or pod material coming in..going to be a whole bunch of smaller builders who can't get materials and breach client contracts on build times.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Covid house prices confuse me.... I get the whole "money is cheap" thing, but its still massive debt. Just goes to show I dont understand economics. I was shitting bricks buying a house right as this whole things kicked off...
People just take huge risks and had more in their piggy banks than what they let on about, I'm pretty sure the government will intervene at every chance to stop the prices falling at this current time. Imagine the turmoil if prices fall sharply when people are mortgaged to the hills. I personally think it's a waiting game ATM, if there's no wage increase over the next 10 or so years, things will get bad for people.

Last edited:

Coopz

Likes Dirt
With no overseas immigration, you'd think supply of houses would be better than ever.
FOMO is very real
If interest rates start creeping back up if the economy starts overheating, a lot of people are going to be in deep shit. Especially Sydney where everyone is splashing out 1+ Milion for a boring 3 bedroom..

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
If interest rates start creeping back up if the economy starts overheating, a lot of people are going to be in deep shit. Especially Sydney where everyone is splashing out 1+ Milion for a boring 3 bedroom..
Major lender put up rates last week, and increased minimum deposit percentage. A majority of high percentage LVR loans have been pulled from market over the last quarter.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
People just take huge risks and had more in their piggy banks than what they let on about, I'm pretty sure the government will intervene at every chance to stop the prices falling at this current time. Imagine the turmoil if prices fall sharply when people are mortgaged to the hills. I personally think it's a waiting ATM, if there's no wage increase over the next 10 or so years, things will get bad for people.
Agreed. The Government will never let the housing market crash now, it's too big to fail and would do too much damage. Which means everyone will just pay for it by propping it up instead like we did for the banks in 2008.

F*** knows how it's sustainable though, the housing market and Australia's whole GDP have been camouflaged built by immigration for ages, and last year Australia's population fell for the first time in a century.

My guess is there will be a "correction" in the next few years, but the taxpayer will soften the worst of it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
FOMO is very real
You can hardly buy a house in Adelaide at the minute. There are openings up in the suburbs around where I live getting 70-100 people through in the first opening with several offers over the asking price. More buyers than available housing.

The working from home environment has people moving out of apartments and into the leafy burbs where a lunchtime walk can be a head clearing exercise.

Adelaide CBD has over 1000 empty dwellings, most of these were apartments for international students.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can hardly buy a house in Adelaide at the minute. There are openings up in the suburbs around where I live getting 70-100 people through in the first opening with several offers over the asking price. More buyers than available housing.

The working from home environment has people moving out of apartments and into the leafy burbs where a lunchtime walk can be a head clearing exercise.

Adelaide CBD has over 1000 empty dwellings, most of these were apartments for international students.
Same thing is happening in my area around the foothills of Mount Dandenong (Vic), all the backyards people did not want 5-10 years ago are suddenly in demand.

There will be young couples in plenty of pain in the next 3-5 years, they are paying unbelievable amounts of money for their first homes.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Absolutely zero rentals in Cairns at the minute and house prices rising steeply due to people from down south paying full asking price, but they're still cheap compared to an equivalent house in Sydney or Melbourne.