The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

ausdb

Being who he is
Not a vintage bike but I was going through stuff today and found the first headlight I made for my bike back in the early 90s.

I couldn't afford night suns but did have access to a lathe. The reflector was a MR11 downlight with the lamp cut off and a different bulb fitted. There's
5 of the highest capacity at the time D cell nicads stuffed in the bidon.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Not a vintage bike but I was going through stuff today and found the first headlight I made for my bike back in the early 90s.
View attachment 372979
I couldn't afford night suns but did have access to a lathe. The reflector was a MR11 downlight with the lamp cut off and a different bulb fitted. There's
5 of the highest capacity at the time D cell nicads stuffed in the bidon.
Reminds me of the Niterider System I had when I was a teen, riding home from my Macca's job in the middle of the night

quannum

Likes Dirt
I was looking for a cheap rear mech a few months back and ended up picking up an excellent condition M960 XTR rapid rise for cheap.

If anyone wants to trade for almost any other decent rear mech, let me know. It seems wasteful to put it on a kids 24” DJ bike!

safreek

Hoooti hooo, finally got me another of my most wanted bikes. In 3 days I have managed to get a couple off my list. The prophet being the retro ride, now we have true vintage worthy of this thread.
MAY I PRESENT THE
GIANT MCM 990 FRAME
Had to do a run to the sunny sunny coast, risking all in the covid polluted country of Queensland. Would of run through the Zombie Apocalypse naked for this beautiful thing. In really good condition as well

Enjoy the first photo of many to come.
If you don't like it, how about for a change having a bit of respect for other people's liking

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
That'd want a decent front mud guard. The shock is right in striking distance of every piece of crap flung up off the front wheel.

Something different though for sure.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Hoooti hooo, finally got me another of my most wanted bikes. In 3 days I have managed to get a couple off my list. The prophet being the retro ride, now we have true vintage worthy of this thread.
MAY I PRESENT THE
GIANT MCM 990 FRAME
Had to do a run to the sunny sunny coast, risking all in the covid polluted country of Queensland. Would of run through the Zombie Apocalypse naked for this beautiful thing. In really good condition as well

If you don't like it, how about for a change having a bit of respect for other people's liking
View attachment 373582
Might be worth investing in a neoprene shock cover to protect that shock.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

safreek

All this worry!

It will not be ridden people! It will be sold before it's ridden!
ooh, this baby is a keeper. All I need now as an astrix huckster frame and I will pretty much have all the bikes that I want. For the moment
View attachment 373585

Perfect reply, pretty sure that comment was aimed at me.
I would like to say it was but you were probably more kind than some.
Still waiting for some of the usuals to chime in with "what a piece of shit"

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
ooh, this baby is a keeper. All I need now as an astrix huckster frame and I will pretty much have all the bikes that I want. For the moment
I would like to say it was but you were probably more kind than some.
Still waiting for some of the usuals to chime in with "what a piece of shit"
lol. nah, actually kind of reminds me of the Kona Stinky with that big rocker arm/linkage whatcha-macallit, but the Giant designers, IMO put more thought into a nice visually flowing design. def get neoprene shock cover though... ;)

fastrider gus

super huck
Had no idea there was a vintage thread here. I rage quit every facebook group after they were all inundated with nuffies.. sold most of the oldies and focused on new bikes that will actually get ridden, couldnt part with these though.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

fastrider gus

super huck
The schwinns are as close to a matching pair as i can be bothered hunting for parts, the M1 ended up nicely colour coordinated with all black and a splash of red anno parts. Glitter saddles all round too

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
MAY I PRESENT THE
GIANT MCM 990 FRAME

View attachment 373582
Some inspiration for you. Dude was racing one at the SA State DH Championships last year (in a super cool vintage category):

Joe Mullin, cofounder of newly opened Australian Museum of Mountain Bike, with his 1998 Giant MCM D.with 1996 Rockshox Judy DH forks, a Rockshox Super Deluxe rear shock, Mavic 217 rims on a Hope bulb rear and Hadley front hubs, Magura HS11 front brake, Magura Racelite rear brake and 630mm Xlite bars. Dream build from back in the day and loosely based on Rob Warner's spec of the same bike.

safreek

Some inspiration for you. Dude was racing one at the SA State DH Championships last year (in a super cool vintage category):
View attachment 373649

Joe Mullin, cofounder of newly opened Australian Museum of Mountain Bike, with his 1998 Giant MCM D.with 1996 Rockshox Judy DH forks, a Rockshox Super Deluxe rear shock, Mavic 217 rims on a Hope bulb rear and Hadley front hubs, Magura HS11 front brake, Magura Racelite rear brake and 630mm Xlite bars. Dream build from back in the day and loosely based on Rob Warner's spec of the same bike.
Sweet, looks like a fit old coot. It's good to see that they don't all snap like some are saying