Confessions from the fuckwits

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My cassettes have the first couple of cogs as individuals anyway. Cogs should be the same thickness so same same. But yes a cast iron freehub is what the northerner needs.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
My cassettes have the first couple of cogs as individuals anyway. Cogs should be the same thickness so same same. But yes a cast iron freehub is what the northerner needs.
Yeah, but the torque applied to the larger cogs is potentially higher, so could be more of an issue there. Hope (for example) recommends the XT or higher level cassettes as well to reduce scoring alloy freehub bodies, as these did / do have more cogs on a carrier or attached together.

That said though, functionally it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in riding if the cassette lockring is tight. It can a real PITA getting the cassette off later if it's gouged the body though.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, but the torque applied to the larger cogs is potentially higher, so could be more of an issue there. Hope (for example) recommends the XT or higher level cassettes as well to reduce scoring alloy freehub bodies, as these did / do have more cogs on a carrier or attached together.

That said though, functionally it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in riding if the cassette lockring is tight. It can a real PITA getting the cassette off later if it's gouged the body though.

stirk

Burner
You'll be on here in six months time, going 'Blimey', how do I get this darn cassette off ? :D
Been there. Poodle's offered his muscle and hammer. Others offered rattle guns.

I'm not sure if poodle or the rattle gun would have done the job. In the end it took two professional bike mechanics a vice and a 2 foot bar chain whip to break it.

I tighten to 20lb and never had and issue since I do it myself. Are the recommended torque numbers overdoing it?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Been there. Poodle's offered his muscle and hammer. Others offered rattle guns.

I'm not sure if poodle or the rattle gun would have done the job. In the end it took two professional bike mechanics a vice and a 2 foot bar chain whip to break it.

I tighten to 20lb and never had and issue since I do it myself. Are the recommended torque numbers overdoing it?

Sometimes shit just gets stuck. It's all about the angles and the leverage. With a big dose of body weight to finish it off.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Just discovered Retro MTB Australia on Facebook.

I might be in some trouble here....
You think that’s bad,I almost bought a new frame last friday night but was too pissed to put the card number in correctly.

No, I won’t post the video a mate took of me raging out.

Yes, I was at it for a long time.

I have mixed feelings about the whole ordeal. I do want a new bike.....