How to jump with flats…?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Tonight, just before dark, I snuck out for a half hour dusk blast on some tight local singletrack on my trusty hardtail. Normally, if I ride single track on it, I put spd pedals on, but since I was racing the darkness, I went with the flats that use for urban riding. It actually felt pretty good to ride as they have quite bitey pins… but mid ride, I tried to sort of launch off a little ledge, BUT the bike didn’t come with me… I stayed on, but fluffed the landing. If I had the spd’s on I’m sure I would have nailed it... but I’m not sure what to do with flats to get the bike to stay with me.

Is there a trick to it?

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Can you bunny hop?

I was talking to someone the other day who had always ridden clip-less and he told me he didn't know how to bunny hop with flats.

If you can bunny hop, same general process applies. If you can't bunny hop, probably good to learn that.

Having said all that, this all coming from someone who just yesterday stacked because his feet came off the pedal over a jump... lol

Staunch

Eats Squid
This video is how I learnt all those years back. Practice just picking up the rear wheel first while rolling around (doing tiny nose manuals) and then combine pulling the front end up later.

[video=youtube;RAem3L7Rlpk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAem3L7Rlpk[/video]

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Just skill. No biggie. Clipless makes you lazy and hides poor technique if that's all you've ever used.
Classic Moorey!
Get better shoes. If you don't have 5-10s or some sticky equivalent then get some. I've ridden both and love my flats

redbruce

Eats Squid
Just skill. No biggie. Clipless makes you lazy and hides poor technique if that's all you've ever used.
Yep. Same applies to many young kids in BMX racing 'cause ignorant parents think they are doing the kid a favour getting them on clips before they have mastered flats.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Then apply this:

[video=youtube;9Y1wErP4Rb4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y1wErP4Rb4[/video]

Personally I'm still stuck in the pulling bike up by the bars then lifting feet phase... bad habits from when I was a kid on BMX that I haven't practiced my way out of.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
… but mid ride, I tried to sort of launch off a little ledge,

Is there a trick to it?
You should drop from a ledge, arms out straight on take off, put all your weight back, bike out in front with bent knees let the back wheel touch the ground first and absorb be letting your arms and knees bend on the landing. If you have a large sloping landing, you can match the angle of the wheels for the landing by more forward weight.

drop.JPG

Last edited:

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
It's all about compression forces. Heavy into the lip, boost and light out. If you're pulling up you're going to end up with things going everywhere.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
GMBN has some good stuff, but that bunny hop video..... wtaf....
Pause a 4:06. I can't see any reason why this example is good for teaching.
The best bunny hoppers I know do not do anything similar to the video and jump higher and further than anything I've seen in the GMBN videos.
I have no useful advice as my bunny hops suck, so flame on if you will.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Tonight, just before dark, I snuck out for a half hour dusk blast on some tight local singletrack on my trusty hardtail. Normally, if I ride single track on it, I put spd pedals on, but since I was racing the darkness, I went with the flats that use for urban riding. It actually felt pretty good to ride as they have quite bitey pins… but mid ride, I tried to sort of launch off a little ledge, BUT the bike didn’t come with me… I stayed on, but fluffed the landing. If I had the spd’s on I’m sure I would have nailed it... but I’m not sure what to do with flats to get the bike to stay with me.

Is there a trick to it?
Yeah,

Practice by using your feet to hop the rear wheel of your bike whilst using flats. You have angle you feet forward and push up and backwards with your feet in order to use the grip of the shoe/ pedal.

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
I better mount up my flats and give some of these tips a go. I've been using clips for most of my biking life. so I'm made very aware of my bad habits everytime I try flats. I've got good shoes and good pedals, but everytime I screw 'em on I magically loose the ability to hop, jump, climb or do basically anything else that doesn't involve cool looking (but ultimately useless) foot out- flat out turns.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I better mount up my flats and give some of these tips a go. I've been using clips for most of my biking life. so I'm made very aware of my bad habits everytime I try flats. I've got good shoes and good pedals, but everytime I screw 'em on I magically loose the ability to hop, jump, climb or do basically anything else that doesn't involve cool looking (but ultimately useless) foot out- flat out turns.
I made the same transition myself some years back. I'd spent years riding with clips & had learnt most of my riding that way. After some reading through here (probably some advice from Moorey) and the clips aggravating my knee, I decided it was time to go flats again. Pretty much the same result as you; first jump I hit I just about jumped off the bike, highlighting my fantastic technique. In the end it probably took about a month of practice to get used to it and now it's just second nature.

Love the flats, no intention of going back.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Is there a trick to it?

There is a few different techniques, based on what you are trying to do...

Bunny hop/huck drop
Imagine you are placing your bike on a shelf...and it is really heavy. You are going to put the front wheel up first and the rest of your bike is going to be slid up onto that shelf using the front wheel to take the weight. So, at the point you wish to launch from (eg edge of cliff, gutter, crack in driveway, puddle of shit and semen) raise front wheel like a mono and crouch your weight back. When you get the wheel "onto the shelf" transfer your weight forward onto the front wheel. You should be extending your arms as you spring your body upwards and then follow your body with your feet. The bike should tuck up under you (you may need to push back against the pedals a little to maintain pressure and contact with the bike. This sequence of actions should rock the bike forward onto the front tyre on an imaginary shelf...angle the bike for landing by dropping your hands (while holding the bars!) and rotating you weight forward towards the stem. Angle required will depend on the angle of the landing.

Dirt jump
Similar to the shelf technique, but the jump is there to help. As someone else has mentioned, compress into the jump. Your weight is activating the spring. At the take off you rise up...like the spring. Your arms move in an S shape -push into he ramp, rise up from the ramp, level off in the air and dip the nose to land. You can gain a lite extra height by pulling your body back and up from the lip.

Trail jump
Depending on the size...you can just roll off some and it be sweet. Other times compression is king. Let the jump do the work! The long ramp is there to guide you up into the air, compress into it and rise up at the end.

If youre having trouble staying connected to the pedals remember to push back against them. This also helps with a variety of tricks like whips, but not so much on crank flips and no footers.

There is also a useful thread on this in the DJ threads.