Recent content by The Duckmeister

1. The Duckmeister

Little Things You Hate

8120GS is still for 1x12; its more compact body geometry compared to 8100 is primarily what limits it to 45T sprocket. The 2x variant has the long-cage SGS designation, but its geometry is different again; there is less offset on the top pulley, contributing to reduced max. sprocket clearance...
  2. The Duckmeister

Little Things You Hate

Or brake rotor bolt....
  3. The Duckmeister

Little Things You Hate

Is the torque on those 6" nuts measured by the weight of the hammer? For bike stuff I have a pretty well tuned torque finger; hold the allen key in the knuckle closest to the tip of my index finger, on a 4mm hex, the finger grip releases pretty well on 6Nm.
  4. The Duckmeister

Crank arm retaining clip installation

Two-piece (not all are Hollowtech) cranks were made for several years without the "safety" clip/plate/thing, so it's an afterthough probably dictated by some dingbat American lawer.
  5. The Duckmeister

Looks better than the output of your autocorrect. ;):p
  6. The Duckmeister

Bike Geometry

I'm trying to work out how colour relates to geometry.....
  7. The Duckmeister

Can't be. Too much hair.
  8. The Duckmeister

Just a follow-on, the end of the spindle should sit about 2mm back from the edge of the crank bore. Much more and the "safety" (I use that term loosely) pin won't drop into the locating hole. Too far out and as well as the pin not meeting the hole, the cap will bottom out on the spindle and...
  9. The Duckmeister

Yep, the slot goes over the outboard pinch bolt. Otherwise you can't get in & flip it up to pull the crank off.
  10. The Duckmeister

Shouldn't matter.
  11. The Duckmeister

Seems doubtful, OP mentions one on drive side as per Shimano's spec. The reason for a spacer is that the crank/BB assembled width is designed to allow for a BB-mounted chain guide or front derailleur.
  12. The Duckmeister

Interesting, first thing I've known about the stepped plate; all the ones I've seen have been the normal flat-top.
  13. The Duckmeister

Not being able to drop in suggests the crank hasn't been pulled right up into the BB. If there's a gap between the spider/butt of the drive side crank & the BB housing, you need to pull it in more. The spindle can be a quite snug fit in the bearing cover/sleeve.
  14. The Duckmeister

Wheel Build Advice Thread

Build about 10kgf higher than you think you need to. It's not commonly realised that wheels lose a bit of tension once the tyres are fitted & inflated. So an original build of 100kgf rear drive/front disc sides might drop to 90 or so, be a bit floppy and be prone to detensioning. On a mid-spec...
  15. The Duckmeister

The stupid questions thread.

Yaw*