Recent content by SummitFever

1. S

Motorcycle Thread - Post it all

Running rim locks? They can make things a bit trickier. Putting one or two clamps on the tyre to keep the beads in the center of the rim can help greatly or just stand on the opposite side. Three tyre levers is also a must and taking very small "bites". Before you know it you'll be changing...
  2. S

Black Dogs and mental shit in general

All those things you describe are terrible things to deal with. You're right to not feel great about the situation. I feel like the prevalence of social media driven #liveYourBestLife bullshit creates an extra pressure/unreasonable expectation that the default state of the human condition is...
  3. S

Newly Released Suspension & Components General

Presumably the Manitou hex-axle type approach (which is excellent) is subject to some sort of patent.
  4. S

Bargain buys thread

Thanks for the heads-up. Had a close encounter of the roo variety last week which resulted in my helmet being smashed to bits. Nice to be able to pick up a replacement on short notice at less than RRP.
  5. S

Parks 2025: Southern Flinders Ranges- Melrose SA $10M

Had business in Adelaide after which a colleague and I decided we should drive home to Karntburra via Melrose and the new epic trail. Camped overnight at the caravan park and did the loop the following morning. Day was unusually cool, so perfect for riding. Trail was a lot of fun but would not...
  6. S

Little Things You Hate

#FeatureNotABug
  7. S

Can America be fixed?

I guess those figures don't include the 500,000 or so people that immigrate to Australia every year who predominantly end up in Sydney or Melbourne.
  8. S

You laugh you lose

Too many cooks in the steering and braking kitchen.
  9. S

You laugh you lose

So driving an EV is probably cross training.
  10. S

Lego

OK. Which one you blokes is it that's dealing to buy LEGO? https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/jan/19/lego-value-thousands-dollars-seized-melbourne-police-arrest-alleged-drug-trafficker
  11. S

Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

The only good thing about imperial is that the plate we use comes in 1/4" 1/2" etc so I if I'm making say a 6mm thick part I can take 1/4" stock and get a precise thickness metric part out the other end. I don't do enough with imperial to understand what the yanks are on about with their feeds...
  12. S

Crappy hubs be crappy...

How are the bearings spaced? Floating tube between bearings with a straight able or axle with machined lips to spacer the bearings? Pressing a bearing in (particularly if cocked) can create a burr up against the outer race face which will result in the bearings being preloaded too much/being...
  13. S

Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

Are you going too try you get your VAT back at the airport? I've seen the counter but never tried.
  14. S

Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Yeah, nah. A soldered joint onto a wire can be "good enough" and better than a bad crimp, but a good crimp will always be better than a good solder joint. There's a reason why soldering is for electrical connections between hard components (eg. pcb and a solid pin) and crimping is for flexible...
  15. S

Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

For car automotive (and any other vibration prone environments) I would avoid solder joints. They make the multistrand wires stiff where they are soldered and provide a localised stress riser. A good crimp connection is best. Those wire tap things are the work of the devil. Canbus is crap for...