Recent content by Jim Junkie

1. Jim Junkie

The stats are out into deaths and injuries in Australian sports

That the numbers don't include any relation to participation rates makes this more clickbait than actual useful data IMO. Am I supposed to conclude that cliff diving is much less dangerous than mountain biking? Recreational walking more likely to result in injury than hockey? What's the...
  2. Jim Junkie

Little Things You Hate

So glad they made another thing to justify their standard. These were XT cranks, nothing in the box for me ☹️. I’m sure there’s some other reasons for going this way, but it just seems to be an ever diverging mess of new standard fittings at the moment. I prefer the Banshee / Santa Cruz / Hope...
  3. Jim Junkie

Little Things You Hate

Similar approach on my manitou’s. Thin wall 8mm socket? Take a file to one of the normal ones I already have. Special half cut manitou fork tool? Hello angle grinder and $10 cassette tool. Not the tidiest of solutions but it works and I don’t have to buy their super specific overpriced stuff:
  4. Jim Junkie

Little Things You Hate

LTIH: New "standard" (Shimano DirectMount), leading to me replacing a chainring that didn't need replacing, leading to me having to buy a new bloody tool just to tighten the damn thing on. A tool that of course will be used for nothing other than tightening a chainring. I swear the lowlives...
  5. Jim Junkie

Little Things You Hate

That would defeat the purpose of owning an EV. I only have the thing so I can lounge provocatively over the bonnet and wink at people suggestively.
  6. Jim Junkie

Little Things You Hate

There's a new version of this for EV's. Turns out that Tesla superchargers (at least all the V2 ones currently in the country) work on banks of 2 for the power capacity. The car will charge at 130kW, unless there's a car parked in the paired / neighbouring spot, in which case it splits the...
  7. Jim Junkie

Little Things You Hate

I can't figure how they came up with this and thought it was OK. I legitimately thought it was 6.1Nm for the first month and only corrected myself when the cranks kept coming loose. I had to break out the auto torque wrench to get it up there. And on a bloody 8mm allen key. I had one instance...
  8. Jim Junkie

First real bike time

My 5yr old is currently on a Polygon Relic 20", previously his brothers. Moved over to that between 4 1/2 and 5. I had to cut the post down a little initially I think, but he loved the jump from a 16". Previous bike was just a basic 16" Merida, which was ridden to death. The 20" lasted until...
  9. Jim Junkie

Little Things You Hate

LTIH: 61Nm required tightening torque on a 8mm hex bolt Raceface Aeffect). Of course I'm going to strip that head eventually being the kludge I am.
  10. Jim Junkie

The stupid questions thread.

Sigh.. stupid question time: I am replacing my Raceface Aeffect Cinch cranks with Shimano FC-M8100-1 DirectMount cranks. Do I need a new chainring? Or can I mount the Cinch chainring on the Shimano DirectMount? I've seen the names used interchangeably in many places, but can't quite confirm...
  11. Jim Junkie

Rotorburn strava

+1 to that. I do enjoy seeing others rides, and keep track of my totals. After a ride I do sometimes like to sit back and look at the high level view of where it went with a beer sometimes too. I did find some of the fitness and effort stuff interesting, but none of that was really assisting...
  12. Jim Junkie

Rotorburn strava

I only found out about this price rise through the furor around how it was communicated. I actually had to go digging to find out what my old my old price was compared to the new. Pretty sure I've not been hit with such a poorly communicated price rise before. That said, all this stink about...
  13. Jim Junkie

New Anaconda Bike

I'm sure there are plenty around here that would let you work on their Nutt's, but that's probably more about their pleasure than yours. That's a nice first bike, reminds me of mine. I had a great time tinkering, upgrading and learning how to work on bikes with that one. Sure, putting...
  14. Jim Junkie

Wireless ear buds for mtbiking

I also use the Aftershokz - Aeropex. The quality was a lot better than I thought it would be for bone-conducting headphones. They have passable microphone quality for hands-free but as you'd expect do not handle the wind well for that. Being able to hear your surroundings is a huge plus and...
  15. Jim Junkie

What's your dollars per ride.

Tell me about it. I built the commuter after geoblocking hit. The pretty standard groupset I wanted to get for the commuter (Shimano GRX) was absolutely nowhere to be found, both bricks & mortar and online. I eventually had to go fleabay straight from Taiwan just to get the bike built. It's...