Recent content by hellmansam

1. hellmansam

MotoGP was 2020 now 2023

Miller is looking ok this weekend after a poor showing in the first round. He really needs to put a great season together this year or the rising star Acosta will probably have his seat
  2. hellmansam

Blind rider saying hi

G'day and welcome I had a 2019 Fuel EX and really liked it. Had the same gripe re wanting a longer dropper post. Building your own bike is very rewarding but can cost a lot more if you buy new bits at bike shop prices. Some good stuff pops up in the For Sale section here, as do complete bikes.
  3. hellmansam

Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

No pics to show yet - my next step in hobby machining is to install a DRO on my milling machine. Have the linear glass scales and tablet for the screen, a TouchDRO box is on the way, due in the next couple of weeks.
  4. hellmansam

AM ROAR!!! RAAW Madonna V2.2

You didn't read the instructions did you
  5. hellmansam

The bike mechanic activity I hate the most.

Tubeless tyres - I kind of like fitting them - but hate putting sealant in through the valve so I'll get the tyre on the rim, using soapy water if necessary and then do a dry run inflating them without sealant. With new wheels/tyres it tests for leaks in the rim tape which IMO are best sorted...
  6. hellmansam

When working in a Perth bike shop - I used to dread working on the family bike collections that only got used on trips to Rottnest and put away in the shed with a dose of salt from the ferry trip, for a year or three. They'd bring them into the shop for a 'basic service' the worst ones would...
  7. hellmansam

This chap does some interesting stuff - in this vid he uses an old milling machine head to make a gear shaper. I have a complete spare head for my mill, thanks to the warranty issue I had and Redfox not wanting it back. Right now I don't need to make gears but I like the idea, maybe I'll come...
  8. hellmansam

I’ve enjoyed a few CEE videos, and I’ll speculate that he didn’t show checking the CAT50 for run out etc maybe because they thought a lot of people would find it boring and switch off.
  9. hellmansam

Fk yeah that’s how we did it when I worked in a bike shop. With any grips from little kiddie’s 12” bikes to full size bikes. With some grips you can get old ones off by aiming the air gun nozzle at the inboard edge of the grip or jamming it in there a bit. No scratches on the bars from cutting...
  10. hellmansam

Experience with bike wash/degreaser and frame bearing life

I reckon it’s not so much the brand of soap or degreaser, but grit getting past the seals that stuffs up pivot bearings. Take a sealed bearing apart and you’ll see how delicate the seals are - easily defeated by a pressure washer or a brush/rag carrying grit. Use a pressure washer judiciously...
  11. hellmansam

This Old Tony is another favourite YouTuber of mine but I don’t think I could compare my noob stuff to his content ! I will try to remember to get some before pics next time though
  12. hellmansam

So I done a fing today, using my manual lathe and milling machine. I’ve had the mill for a year and it was over 6 months before I got it functioning due to freight fktards dropping the crate and the motor being damaged due to that, or it was just faulty from the factory. Anyhoo I’ve hardly...
  13. hellmansam

WA FOUND 10sp Shimano shifter

Hey I'm pretty sure I've got one, will confirm today
  14. hellmansam

MotoGP was 2020 now 2023

Epic last half of the main race today, a nail biting last few laps. Sad to see Miller languishing in the back half of the field. Moto3 was good, haven't watched it yet.
  15. hellmansam

MotoGP was 2020 now 2023

I've been 3x, '09, '12 and '14. Each time it was looking bad on the Thursday, and I ended up with a bit of sunburn on the Sunday ! Would have been spewing if I'd travelled from interstate this year.