Recent content by born-again-biker

1. born-again-biker

OneUp Components EDC Every Day Carry tool review

Anyone running with the competition...? https://www.granite-design.com/ https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/encase-system
  2. born-again-biker

What are you listening to NOW?

These bands have been on high rotation lately.... The video clip for this one is a cracker!
  3. born-again-biker

Wheel Build Advice Thread

So both chain stays are slightly offset to the RHS (towards the drivetrain) to even-out the dish? Does that mean their rear hubs are unique?....no......wait.....it'd be a normal hub, but offset chain stays and offset rim relative to hub centre?
  4. born-again-biker

Hmm, sounds good. The dish gauge is the only thing I haven't made or ordered yet. I was gonna have a go at making Roger Musson's one....but I should have known there are other hacks out there ;) I've made a decent truing stand out of small gauge square section steel tube. I guess I could...
  5. born-again-biker

OK, cool. I just re-read it. So when I'm nearing completion I use the dishing tool to check the hub is centred in the rim? When it is centred, the wheel will have the dished appearance with different spoke angles & tensions. I'm not building the amount of "dish" by measuring any pre-determined...
  6. born-again-biker

I have another question... Is it important to measure the dish on each side before I disassemble the wheel?....so that I can set the same dish on the new wheel? Mr Musson's bible talks about it being a function of the hub flange design...
  7. born-again-biker

You are correct, 32 spokes and 3x (or whatever it is currently laced as, which I believe is conventional). ....and I think I'm going to take everyone's advice & measure the ERD myself, first. I keep reading about how manufacturers ERD's are not to be trusted. I don't have any shorter spokes on...
  8. born-again-biker

Cheers Rexy. Rim ERD is 602 (manufacturers number, not measured in hand) It's got a few minor flat spots, but I reckon it'll be OK to re-use. Doesn't leak air or sealant. Hub is DT350 Boost IS. 58 / 52 PCD flanges 36.6 / 23.3 offsets. 2.6mm holes. Perfect scenario would be 293mm spokes, I...
  9. born-again-biker

Hmmm.....tempting. I'm just waiting on a couple of emails to come back after the w/e regarding availability of either Sapim Race or DTS Comp. Failing those I'll msg you ;)
  10. born-again-biker

DT Swiss calculator spat out 292.1 & 291.7 .....Roger Musson's gave 291.9 & 291.2. ...so I was rounding up to 293 assuming every length was available. Do you think 292's would be too close to the ERD ? Would it be safer to build both sides with 294's?....and still get good tension? I'm...
  11. born-again-biker

So what's the go with buying spokes & nipples? Who's got a link? I can't find 293mm in black anywhere...(not really keen for the logistical hassle of Ze Krauts) WTF is DT Swiss thinking using Apollo Bikes as the distro? It's like Samsung using Uncle Pete's Toys! Have I got a date with the LBS...
  12. born-again-biker

What does your day look like?

House mods for new Central heater. and....New bike parts!!
  13. born-again-biker

What are you listening to NOW?

Another great Canadian artist. This one is dark, moody & a little unsettling. The lyrics are deep. Don't bother if you're in an 'up' mood, but if you're just chilling out & melancholy you might enjoy... This is the studio version... but there's some good life performances on YT too.