Most Bulletproof Wheelset

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We aren’t comparing apples then. I have mates who are top DH riders. They are way faster descending on an acoustic bike on a genuine DH track than when they train on e-bikes. Bandage isn’t a DH track. I love it, but it’s not DH.
Agreed. I love it too, but it'd be a dark blue trail if it was in Tassie.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
All this motorbike talk and no one has mentioned the gold standard in moto rims: Takasago Excel.

We used to go through lots of rims before switching to Takasago Excel. May not be available in 29" though...
That's because the A60 is the gold standard these days...

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well this thread has been fun. I suggested the Hope Fortus or FR560 and in their eWisdom theyve so far bought a RaceFace Next R wheelset, another Light Bicycle rim that exactly matches the one destroyed, and a set of South Industries carbon Enduro rims.

I might start wearing goggles while riding to avoid getting carbon splinters in my eyes.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Well this thread has been fun. I suggested the Hope Fortus or FR560 and in their eWisdom theyve so far bought a RaceFace Next R wheelset, another Light Bicycle rim that exactly matches the one destroyed, and a set of South Industries carbon Enduro rims.

I might start wearing goggles while riding to avoid getting carbon splinters in my eyes.
New friend time.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

binner

Hath shat hymself
absolutely nothing to add to this thread except for this......... ol race days these were everywhere..

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Premium Chinese sourced DH spec carbon rims 450grams and heavier, how the fuck people kill these is beyond me.

A rock strike with such a rim is incredibly loud, you get instant notification you’ve fucked up. Premium Light Bicycle, Nextie and CarbonFan rims in DH spec, I’ve had rock strikes that sound like a whip crack, yet can’t see any signs of damage.

Jesus Asininedrivel the Zipp wheelset is pricy at $2700. It’s an interesting approach.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Premium Chinese sourced DH spec carbon rims 450grams and heavier, how the fuck people kill these is beyond me.

A rock strike with such a rim is incredibly loud, you get instant notification you’ve fucked up. Premium Light Bicycle, Nextie and CarbonFan rims in DH spec, I’ve had rock strikes that sound like a whip crack, yet can’t see any signs of damage.

Jesus Asininedrivel the Zipp wheelset is pricy at $2700. It’s an interesting approach.
Yeah not cheap but given they're made in house by Zipp who presumably have a fair bit of unique tooling to pay for, and I was fascinated by the earlier BC Tamars but couldn't afford them then missed out. The Zipps are the next closest thing, plus a 120kg mate who rides very hard and breaks many things couldn't kill his set which sold me on durability - they come in at 540gm a rim.